PDA

View Full Version : CarMax experience

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 02:52 PM
So my g/f and I decided to check out the local CarMax for the very first time.

We walk into the YUUUUGE showroom, and see a few sales associates. Their manager greeted us and our conversation went down like this:

SM: Welcome to CarMax. May I help you with anything ??

Me: Just want to check out a Toyota Highlander or Mazda CX-9.

SM: Not exactly sure what we have out on the lot, but feel free to go outside and check out any vehicle. All their doors, trunks and hoods can be opened.

Me: Ok, thanks

As we go out the door to the parking lot, I expected a sales associate, "vulture", "leech", etc. to latch on and start hounding us.

But no. Nothing. Nada....

"Cool", I thought. So we go out and start checking some CX-9s. Apparently, they didn't have a Highlander because they are quite popular.

A salesman sees us checking out mid-trim CX-9, a Touring model. I look at the price and the condition of the vehicle, and it's very fair. I open the hood and small talk a bit more. He just stood there and answered all of my questions.

"Well, we're gonna check out some more vehicles, because we really wanted to see a Highlander", I said.

"That's fine. Just check out our website and the other CarMax's around the area." he replied.

He also added, "Here's my card, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to call".

And he walked away. That's right, he WALKED AWAY.

Don't know about you guys, but I like this type of doing business.

We go back to the showroom and talk to the SM again. He reiterates that they can transfer any vehicle from other CarMax stores if I request it.

"Am I under any obligation to buy it ?", I ask.

"No, not at all. Those things are very popular, and I'm sure we can sell it if you don't buy it from us. They're THAT popular. And, should you buy it and don't like it, we have a 5-day return", he added.

"That's pretty awesome", I reply.

My g/f and I walk out of the place, and we're both stunned at what just happened and what we just heard. Most dealerships we've visited gave us experiences we'd rather forget. In fact, because of all the negative experiences we've had, we absolutely HATE shopping for cars, which is probably THE main reason we've hung on to our beloved Odyssey.

I think I'm gonna like doing business with CarMax....

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 02:53 PM
BTW, saw A LOT of 3-Series BMWs on the lot.

I wonder what's up with that ??

GimpyMcFarlan
02-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Thank you for posting your experience. I have been using the CarMax iPhone app to watch for a manual Subaru Impreza for my wife. Like the Highlander they appear to be very popular. Most seem to sell within a week of being posted. If we get one we will probably need to have it transferred. I have been watching for a few months and have never seen one come available at the local store.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Thank you for posting your experience. I have been using the CarMax iPhone app to watch for a manual Subaru Impreza for my wife. Like the Highlander they appear to be very popular. Most seem to sell within a week of being posted. If we get one we will probably need to have it transferred. I have been watching for a few months and have never seen one come available at the local store.

Yeah, you really have to watch the website like a hawk.

I think I'll do tha same thing you did by downloading the CarMax app on my iPhone.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
To you guys who do your car shopping in high-end dealerships like Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc., and NOT having to deal with aggressive salemen who continually hound you and hoping for a sale:

I don't like you.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

:lol::lol:

kognito
02-25-2017, 04:44 PM
I don't think it is 100% of the bringing a car from another Carmax lot. I think they charge for some vehicles (specialty vehicles)

Alan
02-25-2017, 05:14 PM
To you guys who do your car shopping in high-end dealerships like Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc., and NOT having to deal with aggressive salemen who continually hound you and hoping for a sale:

I don't like you.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

I have a few salespeople whom I buy my cars from for Mercedes, Audi and BMW. I always valued these relationships because there is absolutely no pressure and they will let me take as many test drives as I want ... all was good until this year when we decided not to get another Mercedes and just happen to be buying a couple of other cars as well ...

When we returned our GL450 lease at the MB dealer my long term salesman who I always liked a lot gave me a guilt trip that was absolutely ridiculous to the point where I don't think I can go back to him again.

I was really surprised ... he realized it after a little time and then started to back pedal. I bought 5 Mercedes from him since 2009 and thought we were buds.

Btw he still emails things he think I will be interested in (like a cool car driving game to play online and stuff not related to buying a car).

Plaz
02-25-2017, 05:18 PM
With the exception of Jon Shafer and Franco at Cutter BMW in Santa Barbara back in 2001/2, every single car salesman I've ever actually dealt with has been a total prick.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 05:57 PM
I don't think it is 100% of the bringing a car from another Carmax lot. I think they charge for some vehicles (specialty vehicles)

Some cars they charge a fee, and some are transferred at no additional cost.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 05:58 PM
I have a few salespeople whom I buy my cars from for Mercedes, Audi and BMW. I always valued these relationships because there is absolutely no pressure and they will let me take as many test drives as I want ... all was good until this year when we decided not to get another Mercedes and just happen to be buying a couple of other cars as well ...

When we returned our GL450 lease at the MB dealer my long term salesman who I always liked a lot gave me a guilt trip that was absolutely ridiculous to the point where I don't think I can go back to him again.

I was really surprised ... he realized it after a little time and then started to back pedal. I bought 5 Mercedes from him since 2009 and thought we were buds.

Btw he still emails things he think I will be interested in (like a cool car driving game to play online and stuff not related to buying a car).

Yup, some salesmen show their true colors once you stop buying/leasing vehicles from them.

bren
02-25-2017, 06:00 PM
CarMax doesn't work on commission. Also, they do charge a fee to move cars around that are over a certain distance - generally anything outside your metro area. Lastly, you will pay dearly on the purchase price for the benefits.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 06:00 PM
With the exception of Jon Shafer and Franco at Cutter BMW in Santa Barbara back in 2001/2, every single car salesman I've ever actually dealt with has been a total prick.

That's great. Wish all, if not most, salesmen were like them.

Unfortunately, it must be an industry standard to be a prick to potential buyers, LOL.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 06:04 PM
CarMax doesn't work on commission. Also, they do charge a fee to move cars around that are over a certain distance - generally anything outside your metro area. Lastly, you generally will pay dearly on the purchase price for the benefits.

My metro area includes Sacramento, SF and other big areas, which means there should be a good selection (which, from what I've been seeing, is true).

I dunno, I thought the purchase price was fair when compared to the other car dealerships. I'd rather deal with CarMax than play "silly little reindeer games" with those other vultures, but that's just me.

:dunno:

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 06:09 PM
As you all can tell, I've never been one to negotiate.

I know it's a game that should be necessarily played to get the best price, and I should be PREPARED to spend hours with all the back-and-forth bullshit.

But I just have NO patience.

Other people LIVE to play the game, and more power to them....

bren
02-25-2017, 06:29 PM
There is a reason CarMax has grown to be as big as it is.

3LOU5
02-25-2017, 07:00 PM
There is a reason CarMax has grown to be as big as it is.

Yeah, I was impressed for a first visit.

SARAFIL
02-26-2017, 04:16 PM
You won't get the "best" deal there but you also won't have to deal with most of the games. I think a lot of people are ok with that and it explains why they are all over the place these days. Some stuff they have for sale seems reasonably priced, other stuff looks a bit rich. They also do a decent job w/ reconditioning and have a return policy. And if you've read the articles on Jalopnik, their extended warranty apparently covers a lot and can be pretty cheap on some high end cars.

kognito
02-26-2017, 06:55 PM
. And if you've read the articles on Jalopnik, their extended warranty apparently covers a lot and can be pretty cheap on some high end cars.

Very entertaining articles!

3LOU5
02-26-2017, 07:10 PM
You won't get the "best" deal there but you also won't have to deal with most of the games. I think a lot of people are ok with that and it explains why they are all over the place these days. Some stuff they have for sale seems reasonably priced, other stuff looks a bit rich. They also do a decent job w/ reconditioning and have a return policy. And if you've read the articles on Jalopnik, their extended warranty apparently covers a lot and can be pretty cheap on some high end cars.

If the difference between a dealership deal and a CarMax deal is only a few hundred bucks, I'm ok with that, because my time (and aggravation) is worth more than that.

You're right, when we stepped in a few vehicles, and were pleasantly surprised how well they reconditioned them. Even their engine bays were detailed, because when I pulled out some dipsticks, my hands weren't that dirty.

I believe that their CX-9s were off-leases, which means that their maintenance schedules were strictly adhere to.

As long as they honor the original manufacturer's warranty, I'm all in. And their return policy is something I've never heard of in other dealerships.

clyde
02-26-2017, 07:36 PM
If the difference between a dealership deal and a CarMax deal is only a few hundred bucks, I'm ok with that, because my time (and aggravation) is worth more than that.

You're right, when we stepped in a few vehicles, and were pleasantly surprised how well they reconditioned them. Even their engine bays were detailed, because when I pulled out some dipsticks, my hands weren't that dirty.

I believe that their CX-9s were off-leases, which means that their maintenance schedules were strictly adhere to.

As long as they honor the original manufacturer's warranty, I'm all in. And their return policy is something I've never heard of in other dealerships.

It's usually more like a few thousand, sometimes more than a few. Their pricing can be competitive, but if you're comparing Carmax pricing to other dealer asking prices, you're asking to spend a lot more than you would elsewhere. Still, if it's worth it to you, it's worth it.

In 2006 when I was shopping for a used Armada, I wound up buying from Carmax because I spent a lot of time looking for one with a certain option/color/mileage combo that was not common and Carmax was the first one to have one. The price was higher than I would have spent anywhere else, but in the range I could live with, especially when considering how much longer it might take me to find another one.

Don't fool yourself that an off-lease car has been maintained as scheduled unless there is paperwork or a vehicle history you can pull.

SARAFIL
02-26-2017, 07:48 PM
+1 on being careful in assuming off lease = well maintained. Some definitely are - I know lots of people that are worried about getting penalized if they don't do it, but for all of those there is the opposite extreme of people that truly drove it like a rental and did nothing other than add fuel. Even with free maintenance, I saw my fair share of 3 year old BMW lease returns that had never had an oil change. Unless the engine dies, there is a pretty small chance you'd get caught skipping services on a leased car (they don't ask to see receipts) so it's fairly easy to not do them. You need to do your research and buyer beware.

3LOU5
02-27-2017, 01:02 PM
It's usually more like a few thousand, sometimes more than a few. Their pricing can be competitive, but if you're comparing Carmax pricing to other dealer asking prices, you're asking to spend a lot more than you would elsewhere. Still, if it's worth it to you, it's worth it.

In 2006 when I was shopping for a used Armada, I wound up buying from Carmax because I spent a lot of time looking for one with a certain option/color/mileage combo that was not common and Carmax was the first one to have one. The price was higher than I would have spent anywhere else, but in the range I could live with, especially when considering how much longer it might take me to find another one.

Don't fool yourself that an off-lease car has been maintained as scheduled unless there is paperwork or a vehicle history you can pull.

This is what I've observed (prices somewhat in the ballpark):

A CPO 2015 Toyota Sienna SE at a dealership is roughly $30-31k. A similar vehicle at a CarMax may be about $28-29.

So if I go to a dealership and play "the game", I could probably knock it down a few thousand. If it ends up a minus $1000-1500 LESS than CarMax, I'm ok with that. (I'm not exactly sure about this scenario, but that is how I envision it).

Do you still have your Armada, and was it worth buying from CarMax ??

3LOU5
02-27-2017, 01:06 PM
+1 on being careful in assuming off lease = well maintained. Some definitely are - I know lots of people that are worried about getting penalized if they don't do it, but for all of those there is the opposite extreme of people that truly drove it like a rental and did nothing other than add fuel. Even with free maintenance, I saw my fair share of 3 year old BMW lease returns that had never had an oil change. Unless the engine dies, there is a pretty small chance you'd get caught skipping services on a leased car (they don't ask to see receipts) so it's fairly easy to not do them. You need to do your research and buyer beware.

That's good to know.

When it comes to leases, I don't know jack because I've never leased a car before. All the cars I've driven have been either bought or financed and driven "to the ground".

To me, leasing a car is similar to renting an apartment, and that I can't get anywhere financially. I have other hobbies and toys I could be spending my money on, LOL.

I wonder if CarMax will have access to service records on some of their vehicles, because that too, is a deal-breaker....

JST
02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
The difference (in theory) is that a house appreciates. A car generally doesn't.

Leases make sense if you want to limit your downside risk on depreciation. They can also make sense for certain brands that subsidize their leases, as a form of marketing subsidy.

They don't make much sense if you're planning to drive outside the bounds of the typical lessee, i.e. Put a lot of miles on the car, put very few miles on the car, or keep the car for a long time.

As with everything else, there's rarely one right answer. It's a lot of "if, then"s.

One other thing; an off lease car that had free maintenance is likely to have at least kept to that schedule. I've heard rumors that that was one of the reasons BMW started doing it, to ensure a solid CPO pipeline, but Sarafil might know whether that's true or just apocryphal.

Nick M3
02-27-2017, 02:32 PM
The difference (in theory) is that a house appreciates. A car generally doesn't.

Leases make sense if you want to limit your downside risk on depreciation. They can also make sense for certain brands that subsidize their leases, as a form of marketing subsidy.

They don't make much sense if you're planning to drive outside the bounds of the typical lessee, i.e. Put a lot of miles on the car, put very few miles on the car, or keep the car for a long time.

As with everything else, there's rarely one right answer. It's a lot of "if, then"s.

One other thing; an off lease car that had free maintenance is likely to have at least kept to that schedule. I've heard rumors that that was one of the reasons BMW started doing it, to ensure a solid CPO pipeline, but Sarafil might know whether that's true or just apocryphal.
With the one caveat that depending on the tax situation in your locale, leasing can make a lot of sense even if you plan to keep it for a long time. Even if the residual is subsidized, so that you "overpay" on the buyout, you are still paying essentially the same amount for the car, and you had 2-3 years to decide whether or not you like it, give it back if it's been wrecked, or give it back if it's a lemon.

If you are in a jurisdiction that charges sales tax only on the lease payments, that's a no brainer. If you have to pay sales tax twice, it's something to think about a little bit more.

clyde
02-27-2017, 05:55 PM
This is what I've observed (prices somewhat in the ballpark):

A CPO 2015 Toyota Sienna SE at a dealership is roughly $30-31k. A similar vehicle at a CarMax may be about $28-29.

So if I go to a dealership and play "the game", I could probably knock it down a few thousand. If it ends up a minus $1000-1500 LESS than CarMax, I'm ok with that. (I'm not exactly sure about this scenario, but that is how I envision it).

Do you still have your Armada, and was it worth buying from CarMax ??

If your local Carmax is pricing $2k lower than your local dealer, then your scenario may be realistic. The other dealers might have even more room, but whatever. If you do your research, know what a "fair" price is and you're comfortable with what you pay, it doesn't matter where you buy.

I had the Armada for about three years. Sold it my dad for a family price, he drove it from my house in MD to his house in CA...then sold it a week later to Carmax for a couple thousand more than he paid for it.

I loved it and had no real issues in three years of heavy use (with moderate towing). The original owner did some fucked up wiring that I had to repair of a DVD player that I didn't realize wasn't the factory DVD until after buying and e driver seat leather had some cracking that was well hidden at the time of purchase, that quickly showed itself for what it was but then didn't get any worse.

I paid more than I would have liked ($26k vs the $24.5k I thought it was worth), but I knew it at the time and it was balanced against how much longer I was willing to wait for the right one showing up elsewhere. No complaints. Their 8.0% financing offer made me fall out of my chair laughing (fall 2006) when every credit union was about 5.25-5.75% for used cars...and they had no interest in matching.

bren
02-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Just do yourself a favor, and remember that they are still a used car dealer.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 06:27 AM

Therein lies the problem(s): I tend to put a lot of miles, and I do tend to drive the wheels off my cars.

If I do decide on a CarMax vehicle, I hope they have some sort of maintenance record on file, because its longevity/reliability depends on the strict maintenance schedule (obviously).

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 06:35 AM
With the one caveat that depending on the tax situation in your locale, leasing can make a lot of sense even if you plan to keep it for a long time. Even if the residual is subsidized, so that you "overpay" on the buyout, you are still paying essentially the same amount for the car, and you had 2-3 years to decide whether or not you like it, give it back if it's been wrecked, or give it back if it's a lemon.

If you are in a jurisdiction that charges sales tax only on the lease payments, that's a no brainer. If you have to pay sales tax twice, it's something to think about a little bit more.

My sister and BIL originally leased a E92, and when their daughter graduated law school, ended up buying the car as a graduation gift.

I might look into this option if the CarMax thing doesn't pan out....

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 06:39 AM
If your local Carmax is pricing $2k lower than your local dealer, then your scenario may be realistic. The other dealers might have even more room, but whatever. If you do your research, know what a "fair" price is and you're comfortable with what you pay, it doesn't matter where you buy.

I had the Armada for about three years. Sold it my dad for a family price, he drove it from my house in MD to his house in CA...then sold it a week later to Carmax for a couple thousand more than he paid for it.

I loved it and had no real issues in three years of heavy use (with moderate towing). The original owner did some fucked up wiring that I had to repair of a DVD player that I didn't realize wasn't the factory DVD until after buying and e driver seat leather had some cracking that was well hidden at the time of purchase, that quickly showed itself for what it was but then didn't get any worse.

I paid more than I would have liked ($26k vs the $24.5k I thought it was worth), but I knew it at the time and it was balanced against how much longer I was willing to wait for the right one showing up elsewhere. No complaints. Their 8.0% financing offer made me fall out of my chair laughing (fall 2006) when every credit union was about 5.25-5.75% for used cars...and they had no interest in matching.

Good to know about your Armada, thanks.

The CarMax sales manager told me there's about 9 major lenders I can choose from should I decide to buy. From your experience, I guess I should secure my own financing instead of using their lenders.

:dunno:

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Just do yourself a favor, and remember that they are still a used car dealer.

True, but if they're offering decent, well-maintained CPO cars with full factory warranties, I have no issues with that.

:)

Sure it would be nice to purchase a brand new car, but I just don't see the financial sense of doing so.

JST
02-28-2017, 06:54 AM
If your plan is to keep the car for a very long time, it may actually make sense to buy new; yes the depreciation curve is steeper, but that's amortized over a long period of ownership, you get the benefit of included warranty, and you can get precisely the car you want.

bren
02-28-2017, 07:01 AM
True, but if they're offering decent, well-maintained CPO cars with full factory warranties.
They aren't going to pull maintenance records, and they aren't in cahoots with manufacturers to offer factory CPO.

They sell used cars, and have established a successful marketing schtick.

They buy cars at auction, and take trade-ins just like everybody else.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 07:36 AM
If your plan is to keep the car for a very long time, it may actually make sense to buy new; yes the depreciation curve is steeper, but that's amortized over a long period of ownership, you get the benefit of included warranty, and you can get precisely the car you want.

Yeah, I get that, but for a new mid-trim level Highlander, we're talking close to 40k, which is more than I'd like to spend.

We bought our 2000 Odyssey in San Diego back in 2002. It had 48k miles and was in great condition. Brand new, it would have cost close to 30k, but we bought it for 19k, which we thought was a pretty good deal.

It now has a little over 200,000 miles, and it has been (and still is, once the transmission warms up) a great vehicle in regards to dependability.

To me, this is the perfect combination of cost of ownership and value. It would be great if we could duplicate this again, in the form of a Highlander or CX-9.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 07:42 AM
They aren't going to pull maintenance records, and they aren't in cahoots with manufacturers to offer factory CPO.

They sell used cars, and have established a successful marketing schtick.

They buy cars at auction, and take trade-ins just like everybody else.

Whoops, I guess what I meant is I hope they honor the original factory warranties.

Because when I was talking to the sales associate, he said that they DO honor the original factory warranties such as the 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain.

Then again, he could be just another sleazy salesman just spewing shit I want to hear....

:dunno::lol:

Plaz
02-28-2017, 10:17 AM

That's generally my M.O.

Of course sometimes things change. (My RX-8 debacle)

JST
02-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Whoops, I guess what I meant is I hope they honor the original factory warranties.

Because when I was talking to the sales associate, he said that they DO honor the original factory warranties such as the 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain.

Then again, he could be just another sleazy salesman just spewing shit I want to hear....

Why would you take it to CarMax for warranty work? If it's still under factory warranty, why not take it to the Toyota dealer?

Biggins
02-28-2017, 10:58 AM
True, but if they're offering decent, well-maintained CPO cars with full factory warranties, I have no issues with that.
I agree, to an extent... I would not go to CarMax for warranty work if it were covered under the factory warranty. I'd go to the Toyota/Mazda dealer.

Sure it would be nice to purchase a brand new car, but I just don't see the financial sense of doing so.
I would have preferred to find a car in the process you are following, but don't rule out the savings on new cars. If you are financing, there are often some VERY low interest rates to be had on new cars if you qualify... not so much on used cars. When we got the CR-V for my wife, the payment/interest savings/etc. worked out to be nearly equal for a new 2016 model vs. a slightly cheaper used 2014. If you're paying cash, then used will save you more.

SARAFIL
02-28-2017, 01:22 PM

"Honor the factory warranty" means if it breaks and is under warranty, you can still get it repaired by manufacturer at their dealer - which is no different than if you bought it from any dealer or even a private party. CarMax won't honor the warranty themselves, they'll just tell you to go to a Toyota or Mazda dealer. The story might change a bit if you're talking about one of their extended warranties.

I think of it on a spectrum... OEM dealer vs. off-brand or independent dealer vs. private party. For a similar price and comparable car I'd honestly go with the OEM dealer - they know the product, can honor the warranty and have more access to info about the car so you have slightly better odds. As far as off-brand or independents go though, CarMax is a good option but be prepared to pay the premium for that.

I'd also echo the comment to compare the costs of new vs used. For some models once you factor in incentives you could come out better going new.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Why would you take it to CarMax for warranty work? If it's still under factory warranty, why not take it to the Toyota dealer?

I still don't quite understand how the whole CarMax thing works, should I have an issue with the car.

However, if I *could* get the work done, it would definitely be at a Toyota dealer.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 01:55 PM
I agree, to an extent... I would not go to CarMax for warranty work if it were covered under the factory warranty. I'd go to the Toyota/Mazda dealer.

I would have preferred to find a car in the process you are following, but don't rule out the savings on new cars. If you are financing, there are often some VERY low interest rates to be had on new cars if you qualify... not so much on used cars. When we got the CR-V for my wife, the payment/interest savings/etc. worked out to be nearly equal for a new 2016 model vs. a slightly cheaper used 2014. If you're paying cash, then used will save you more.

That's good to know, thanks.

I still haven't ruled out buying new. If anything, I'd like to wait till the middle of the year when the '18s come out, and pick up a '17 at a reduced price, when there's more room for negotiation.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 01:57 PM
"Honor the factory warranty" means if it breaks and is under warranty, you can still get it repaired by manufacturer at their dealer - which is no different than if you bought it from any dealer or even a private party. CarMax won't honor the warranty themselves, they'll just tell you to go to a Toyota or Mazda dealer. The story might change a bit if you're talking about one of their extended warranties.

I think of it on a spectrum... OEM dealer vs. off-brand or independent dealer vs. private party. For a similar price and comparable car I'd honestly go with the OEM dealer - they know the product, can honor the warranty and have more access to info about the car so you have slightly better odds. As far as off-brand or independents go though, CarMax is a good option but be prepared to pay the premium for that.

I'd also echo the comment to compare the costs of new vs used. For some models once you factor in incentives you could come out better going new.

Thanks for your expert opinions, 'Fil. I know that you have better insider info on this matter.

JST
02-28-2017, 02:16 PM
I still don't quite understand how the whole CarMax thing works, should I have an issue with the car.

However, if I *could* get the work done, it would definitely be at a Toyota dealer.

CarMax is literally just a used car dealer (though it looks like they have new Toyota franchises in Laurel MD and Kenosha, WI). Buying a car from them works the same way as buying a used car from anywhere does.

bren
02-28-2017, 02:18 PM
CarMax is literally just a used car dealer

Yep. Nothing magical. Brought to you by the same corporate overlords as the long-departed Circuit City.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 02:25 PM
CarMax is literally just a used car dealer (though it looks like they have new Toyota franchises in Laurel MD and Kenosha, WI). Buying a car from them works the same way as buying a used car from anywhere does.

Indeed it is.

But judging from my first visit, it was quite pleasant....which is probably why these things are popping up all over the country.

3LOU5
02-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Yep. Nothing magical. Brought to you by the same corporate overlords as the long-departed Circuit City.

Yeah, one of the wandering salesmen told me that.

Which is quite unnerving, since we all know what happened to Circuit City, LOL.

Terri Kennedy
02-28-2017, 06:59 PM
Which is quite unnerving, since we all know what happened to Circuit City, LOL.
There's a neat money-saving trick you could pull on Circuit City - haggle the price on a notebook computer. They'd tell you that they couldn't do anything unless you bought their (over-priced, under-featured) "protection plan" with it, and then they could knock $200-$400 off the price of the notebook. Take the deal, then a day or 2 later (assuming your state has the "cooling-off period" for extended warranties) cancel the protection plan for a full refund of the protection plan price. Keep the discounted computer.

Not sure if that would work at a CarMax. :dunno:

kognito
02-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Have you looked at dealer offers on new vehicles??

On our Focus we got 72 month 0% interest with no money down.

I wanted to put some down, then the mrs pointed out my WTF moment.

Only downside possible is if she wants to get rid of it soon, as we will probably be well upside down. If you plan on keeping for a while, you cant beat the deals being offered now

3LOU5
03-01-2017, 03:49 PM
There's a neat money-saving trick you could pull on Circuit City - haggle the price on a notebook computer. They'd tell you that they couldn't do anything unless you bought their (over-priced, under-featured) "protection plan" with it, and then they could knock $200-$400 off the price of the notebook. Take the deal, then a day or 2 later (assuming your state has the "cooling-off period" for extended warranties) cancel the protection plan for a full refund of the protection plan price. Keep the discounted computer.

Not sure if that would work at a CarMax. :dunno:

Haha. Pretty clever !!

3LOU5
03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Have you looked at dealer offers on new vehicles??

On our Focus we got 72 month 0% interest with no money down.

I wanted to put some down, then the mrs pointed out my WTF moment.

Only downside possible is if she wants to get rid of it soon, as we will probably be well upside down. If you plan on keeping for a while, you cant beat the deals being offered now

6 years is an awefully long time to have a loan.

I'd rather pay a decent down, then take the loan out to 4 years max.

But thanks for that idea....

JST
03-01-2017, 04:04 PM

At 0 percent interest, take as long a loan as you can. Put nothing down. In fact, if you can finance the taxes, do that.

It's literally free money.

clyde
03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
At 0 percent interest, take as long a loan as you can. Put nothing down. In fact, if you can finance the taxes, do that.

It's literally free money.

This.

kognito
03-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Don't make me drive out there and smack you in the head! ZERO % INTEREST