PDA

View Full Version : Car buying question

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 12:14 AM
Is it legal for dealership like CarMax to sell flood-damaged cars ??

Guess what I'm trying to ask is, would you guys be reluctant to pull the trigger on a car that is sold in a flood-prone area ?? How would you know for sure that the car you're buying hasn't been damaged by a flood ??

Especially asking this question due to the recent "atmospheric river" episodes that has been affecting the California region.

Thanks in advance.

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 12:17 AM
BTW, we've decided to try something different other than a minivan this go-around.

I think we're gonna try for a Highlander. Any years in particular to avoid ??

For a few days there, we were actually considering a Honda Ridgeline, lol.

bren
02-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Is it legal for them to sell a flood damaged car and not disclose, yeah. Assuming they knew it, and hid it from you.

I am most certain I would buy a Ridgeline over a Highlander everyday all day. But I would never shop either of those, so I can't help.

wdc330i
02-23-2017, 07:47 AM
I would definitely do Ridgeline over Highlander. But I would also pick any Honda product over any Toyota product.

My MIL had a previous generation Ridgeline and loved it.

Biggins
02-23-2017, 07:57 AM
I thought it could still be sold as long as it was disclosed as flood/water damaged, but perhaps that depends on the state laws?

I'd take a Ridgeline over the Highlander as well... I like the Ridgeline, but my wife keeps saying if we ever buy a truck, it has to be a "real" truck that can pull horses.

I'm sure the Highlander will be nice and fit your needs though.

rumatt
02-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Is it legal for them to sell a flood damaged car and not disclose, yeah. Assuming they knew it, and hid it from you.

Legal or illegal?

dan
02-23-2017, 09:16 AM
illegal if not disclosed

http://www.consumerreports.org/used-car-buying/beware-the-flood-of-flood-cars/

Jeff_DML
02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
We have owned a highlander since new for 8 years :eek: Been a decent appliance for the wife

ff
02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
I can't think of anything wrong with a Highlander, if that's the type of vehicle you want. The current gen is not bad looking, either.

I'd be cautious about the Ridgeline in only one area: the transmission. Honda's track record with transmissions mated to V6's is not stellar. The problems continue on strong today with the most recent Pilot. I don't know whether the Ridgeline has had any related issues in the past, but I would do a bit of research first to find out.

Alan
02-23-2017, 10:32 AM
illegal if not disclosed

Useful link inside your link

https://www.vehiclehistory.gov

bren
02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Legal or illegal?

Sorry, illegal. I'm going to chalk that up to phone autocorrect. :ack:

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 01:46 PM

I am most certain I would buy a Ridgeline over a Highlander everyday all day. But I would never shop either of those, so I can't help.

That's certainly disconcerting.

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 01:50 PM
I would definitely do Ridgeline over Highlander. But I would also pick any Honda product over any Toyota product.

My MIL had a previous generation Ridgeline and loved it.

I've had both Honda and Toyota. And both have been VERY reliable, which is THE most important thing we consider (well, for HER anyway).

That said, driving dynamics isn't at the top of the list. It just has to go from point A to point B with no major problems for 200,000 miles.

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 01:53 PM
I thought it could still be sold as long as it was disclosed as flood/water damaged, but perhaps that depends on the state laws?

I'd take a Ridgeline over the Highlander as well... I like the Ridgeline, but my wife keeps saying if we ever buy a truck, it has to be a "real" truck that can pull horses.

I'm sure the Highlander will be nice and fit your needs though.

I've never had a vehicle like a Ridgeline, and am curious if it'll fit our needs.

The thing is, I already have a 1/2-ton truck, and have no use for another p/u. We try to have different vehicles for different situations.

dan
02-23-2017, 01:54 PM
That's certainly disconcerting.

it was a mistype. It's illegal

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 01:56 PM
illegal if not disclosed

Thanks !!

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 01:57 PM
We have owned a highlander since new for 8 years :eek: Been a decent appliance for the wife

I have a coworker who has one and he likes it as well.

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 02:08 PM
I can't think of anything wrong with a Highlander, if that's the type of vehicle you want. The current gen is not bad looking, either.

I'd be cautious about the Ridgeline in only one area: the transmission. Honda's track record with transmissions mated to V6's is not stellar. The problems continue on strong today with the most recent Pilot. I don't know whether the Ridgeline has had any related issues in the past, but I would do a bit of research first to find out.

Unfortunately, that is what's happening to our current Ody, which has a little bit over 200,000 miles. When cold, she slips during the 1st-2nd gear shift. However, the problem disappears when fully warmed up.

I've read many incidences with the transmission issues, including models from Acura like the TL, which shares many parts with Honda.

That is why we are more inclined to purchase a Toyota appliance, since we are most likely going to get a V-6.

The Mazda CX-9 is on my radar, since it doesn't seem to hold its value when compared to a similarly-equipped Highlander.

(Thought about fixing the transmission and driving it for another 200, but I seem to have contacted "New Car Fever". I'm sure all you guys know what I'm talking about, lol).

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Useful link inside your link

https://www.vehiclehistory.gov

Thanks AF !!

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Sorry, illegal. I'm going to chalk that up to phone autocorrect. :ack:

Sorry. Should have read all the responses before answering....

bren
02-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Sorry. Should have read all the responses before answering....

Haha sorry to scare you. Proofreading fail.

Jeff_DML
02-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, that is what's happening to our current Ody, which has a little bit over 200,000 miles. When cold, she slips during the 1st-2nd gear shift. However, the problem disappears when fully warmed up.

I've read many incidences with the transmission issues, including models from Acura like the TL, which shares many parts with Honda.

That is why we are more inclined to purchase a Toyota appliance, since we are most likely going to get a V-6.

The Mazda CX-9 is on my radar, since it doesn't seem to hold its value when compared to a similarly-equipped Highlander.

(Thought about fixing the transmission and driving it for another 200, but I seem to have contacted "New Car Fever". I'm sure all you guys know what I'm talking about, lol).

Assuming original transmission, 200k for a slushy is pretty good no?:dunno:

If you are keeping the new car to 200k again does resale matter that much at that point?:dunno: again

3LOU5
02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Assuming original transmission, 200k for a slushy is pretty good no?:dunno:

If you are keeping the new car to 200k again does resale matter that much at that point?:dunno: again

Yeah, 200k isn't too shabby for an original transmission. I really wonder how much it would cost to fix it, only for other things to break.

CPO CX-9s aren't too terribly expensive, and I've heard/read that they drive really well for something that big. Never owned a Mazda, and am hoping they're as well-designed and durable as the Toyotas or Hondas I've owned in the past.