PDA

View Full Version : Summer tires 2008

Biggins
02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, cheap summer tire?

I've run the Hankook RS-2 as my summer tires for the past 3 summers, and I like them. I want a tire that is no more than ~100 per tire and will do well in the rain. It'd be nice to have one that isn't too loud on the interstates also... I don't plan to autocross/track these tires, but it'd be nice if they could do double duty if necessary.

Any other options aside from these?
Hankook RS-2 again
Toyo T1R
Kumho SPT
Dunlop Direzza Z1

My size is 225/50/16 or 225/45/17 for reference. Thanks!

rautox
02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I think you're on the right tire at that price with those priorities.

Plaz
02-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I've been reading pretty good things about the General Exclaim UHP.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&partnum=245WR7EUHP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

bren
02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
The sidewall is a little soft, but otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the SPT and will most likely buy them again.

edit: I just saw a thread on SCCA forums re: the Z1. Sounds like they are worth a try (if you're not worried about longevity as I'd bet they'll wear fast.)
http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/283414/ShowThread.aspx

equ
02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I liked the kumho summers on a wrx I test drove. V-rated BFG T/A's are pretty good too (very high mileage) but won't be as good to auto-x.

John V
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Do NOT get the T1Rs. Holy hell those tires are terrible.

Oh, and I like my SPTs. The grip level is good, they're great in the rain (in my limited experience so far) and they have, thus far, worn like iron.

operknockity
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
So far the SPT's have been handling themselves pretty nicely in the SoCal rains.

Biggins
02-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, I've been leaning toward the SPTs, but I still like the Kooks. Do any of the big tire chains (NTB, Merchant's, etc.) sell Hankooks or Kumhos?

I know Sears can get the Kumhos.

John V
02-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Radial can get you any of 'em, I believe.

clyde
02-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Radial can get you any of 'em, I believe.

When I last bought a set of RS-2s, Radial was not a Hankook dealer (like one of three brands they don't carry). Paul told me I'd save a good bit if I bought them elsewhere and brought them in for mounting. That was almost three years ago, though, and things may have changed.

Biggins
02-14-2008, 03:25 PM
When I last bought a set of RS-2s, Radial was not a Hankook dealer (like one of three brands they don't carry). Paul told me I'd save a good bit if I bought them elsewhere and brought them in for mounting. That was almost three years ago, though, and things may have changed.
Clyde, where did you buy your last set? I think I got my last set from Edge Racing, but is there a cheaper place?

I have another month or so until spring to decide, but it's going to be either the 'kooks or the SPTs. Thanks!

clyde
02-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I think it was Discount Tire Direct.

rumatt
05-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I just put the SPT's back on because it was pouring outside and I was sliding all over on my 5-year old, bald, Falken Azenis.

The difference in sidewall stiffness is huge (falken = stiff, SPT = not), but but SPT's really are fantastic in rain. Just great.

Biggins
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Since I've just about destroyed my Blizzaks driving on them the past couple months, I finally bit the bullet and picked up some summer tires.

I almost went Hankook again, but I splurged and just bought the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs in the size I need from Tire Rack. I'm having them shipped to one of their recommended installers, so let's hope that turns out well. Has anyone tried these tires by chance? Also, has anyone done the ship-to-installer before?

bren
06-09-2008, 10:13 PM
The Dunlop has pretty much become the spec ST tire this year.

John V
06-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Maybe on some cars but I still saw a lot of cars on Bridgestones this past weekend.

bren
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Plenty of people still run Kumhos too....

clyde
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Plenty of people still run Kumhos too....
dummies

John V
06-10-2008, 09:40 AM
5/7 of STS drivers were on Bridgestones, including the winner. The other two were dead last and next to dead last.

5/6 STS2 drivers were on Bridgestones, including the winner. The only Kumho driver was 4th

At least 7/10 STX drivers were on Bridgestones, including the winner (two people didn't list tires, the other guy was on 'kooks)

The STU winner ran Yokos. 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th were on Dunlops and 3rd/5th were on Bridgestones.

Biggins
06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Interesting... I guess I'll have to show up at a WDCR or AI event sometime this year to see if it makes any difference. Although, I'm sure I'll be rusty because I still have yet to do an autocross this year. :(

Josh (PA)
06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
5/7 of STS drivers were on Bridgestones, including the winner. The other two were dead last and next to dead last.

5/6 STS2 drivers were on Bridgestones, including the winner. The only Kumho driver was 4th

At least 7/10 STX drivers were on Bridgestones, including the winner (two people didn't list tires, the other guy was on 'kooks)

The STU winner ran Yokos. 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th were on Dunlops and 3rd/5th were on Bridgestones.
Which Bridgestone?

John V
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
The RE-01R

Rob
06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I have drop shipped tires from tire rack a bunch of times. It will be painless as long as your installer is competent and doesn't scratch anything.

Biggins
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I have drop shipped tires from tire rack a bunch of times. It will be painless as long as your installer is competent and doesn't scratch anything.
This is a first for me having them shipped to the installer. They seemed competent and even recommended using Tire Rack. I only bought tires this time; hopefully they can get the Hoosiers off the rims without damaging anything.

John V
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Hoosiers are easy to mount and dismount, so I'm told.

ff
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Hoosiers are easy to mount and dismount, so I'm told.

Evidently, so are beagles.

:)

Biggins
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
I got to try the Dunlops this weekend for the first time, and they felt great. I feel like they could have used a little scuff to get better, but they make NO noise at all. My Hankooks were slippy and noisy at the limit and my Falkens were super stiff. These tires were great after my first autox with them. My times were great, but it's just really odd to me for a "street" tire to make no noise whatsoever?

I think I'll have to play with the pressures a bit because the pressures went up 3-4 psi in the front after each run, but were still ice cold in the rear. I started and stayed with 41f/38r as I used with the Hankooks in years past.