PDA

View Full Version : Need help with BMW windshield replacement

dan
02-15-2017, 12:41 PM
These are my options:

http://i.imgur.com/4WE0euq.png

Pretty sure I don't have a climate comfort windshield now. Does that mean I want the middle one? Which one is the same as the one that came on my 135i?

dan
02-15-2017, 12:58 PM
okay, pretty sure I need the top middle. thank you.

bren
02-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Why is it hard to pick a windshield? Don't they know by the VIN?

You can ignore this because my corporate policy blocks your image, so I have no idea what's going on. ;)

dan
02-15-2017, 01:51 PM
I'm making the appt through Safelite and not a dealership

rumatt
02-15-2017, 11:00 PM
I went to Safelite and just got whatever they gave me.

But I don't have any of that wild and crazy new technology like rain sensing wipers.

lip277
02-16-2017, 01:04 AM
You'll need to replace the sensors that maintain the functionality of that feature on your car...
You also need to see if your current windshield is 'coated'- meaning (I think) that there is a layer in the glass that (effectively) blocks electrical signals. My E38 has this. I just replaced the windshield and I had that feature removed (on purpose).

You can find out from the dealer (using your VIN) what your car would have as OE - and then pick and choose accordingly.
That's what I would do (or rather - I'd likely install the OE windshield - I just did that with the Porsche. My glass guy had to hassle with my insurance company due to the $$$ (both material and his time) of what he would charge and what the insurance would cover.
I told him that, if it ended up at an impass, I would make up the difference on my part (plus my deductible). It turned out ok - but still, was a pain for him to mess with. He tells me he has to do that all the time.

I have a newish windshield in the E38. Went through the same hassle.....

equ
02-16-2017, 07:34 AM
The one or two times I changed, I did exactly what Lip suggested. You need to match the rain sensor and what not and you want OEM glass (what was it Pilkington?). It's a structural piece of the car.

Alan
02-16-2017, 05:49 PM
If you're going to safelite just give the vin and let them handle it from there ... they literally came 3 (or was it 4) times with different windshields to my house when we had to replace the GL450's windshield ... they will figure it out.

They are the pros they do this everyday.

dan
02-16-2017, 10:48 PM
soooo...why did it take them so many visits :speechle:

blee
03-07-2017, 12:41 AM
FWIW, I got Pilkington glass when I had my windshield replaced shortly after I bought my M3. Works great; in fact, the replacement windshield fixed the rain sensor, which was probably confused by the crack that basically surrounded the mirror mounting area.

Nick M3
03-07-2017, 07:20 AM
soooo...why did it take them so many visits :speechle:
Because they are Safelite, the glass equivalent of Maaco.

dan
03-07-2017, 09:04 AM
I've used Safelite twice now, perfect service experience both times