PDA

View Full Version : 2019 S2000

ff
02-01-2017, 08:27 AM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2019-honda-s2000-news-rumors-specs-performance/

Honda’s next roadster will sport a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine fed with both an electric supercharger and a conventional, exhaust-driven turbocharger. The four will send 320 horsepower to the rear wheels via an eight-speed dual-clutch transaxle

Pricing will start in the vicinity of $50,000

It's not fair to knock something that doesn't yet exist, and that I haven't yet driven, but the combination of turbo + supercharger + auto transmission leaves me less interested than I could be. One of my favorite things about the old one is the manual gearbox. Mechanical heaven. I also liked the simplicity of the thing. Not a lot of fluff or creature comforts.

I guess I'm just overly old-fashioned when it comes to cars. Maybe too much so. I'm definitely in a small minority.

Then there's the rumored price, $50k. It sounds like it will be on a different plane compared to the Miata when it comes to strait-line performance. But is it worth paying twice as much? Is Honda going to deck this thing out with a fancy interior and electronic gizmos to justify the price tag?

bren
02-01-2017, 08:30 AM
None of that will matter if they let someone in-house design it. :ack:

Alan
02-01-2017, 09:27 AM
From 2016

http://blog.caranddriver.com/rumor-honda-to-celebrate-its-70th-anniversary-with-new-s2000-roadster/

I'll believe it when I see it ...

I'm sure there are plenty more rumors out there over the years ... I just did a quick google search.

Edit: another one, this time from 2014

http://www.imotortimes.com/honda-s2000-rumors-s2000-successor-arrive-2017-mid-engine-hybrid-coupe-report-30928

JST
02-01-2017, 10:02 AM
The old one does nothing for me. This one does less.

John V
02-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Please keep the designers that worked on the current Civic far, far away from this... if it ends up being more than vaporware.

At that price it's a good bit more than an MX-5 (but you get more) and less than a base Corvette or Boxster (but you get less... maybe?). Interesting way to slice up an already small pie. Hey, at least they're not saying it's going to be another fucking hybrid. :lol:

Biggins
02-01-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm excited to see what happens with this... I'm probably priced out of it, but I still love the original S2000. I'd guess that it would compete with the new Supra?

I also read recently that there might be a 124 coupe and Toyota is probably building the SFR. Even if they aren't what I'm in the market for, I'll take any rwd sports cars in the market.

I still don't mind the new Civic. It's a little crosstoury, but it's better than the 2012 I had driven often. I just don't love how large it is.

Plaz
02-01-2017, 09:10 PM
I still don't mind the new Civic. It's a little crosstoury, but it's better than the 2012 I had driven often. I just don't love how large it is.

Whenever I'm behind one all I can think of is Tempest. (by Atari, not the Bard)

Whenever I'm behind a new Prius all I can think of is, "Jesus Christ, WTF."

ZBB
02-01-2017, 10:24 PM
This isn't saying much, but the best angle on the new Prius is from the rear.

Looking at the side profile really looks like they had 3 separate designers for the front, middle and back -- but explicitly told them to not make their lines match

blee
02-02-2017, 07:38 AM
I really like the old S2000. I thought it was a great powertrain slipped into a cool body, and I still judge every shifter against the one in that car. If the rumors are true, however,I guess there's no reason to get excited for the next version.