PDA

View Full Version : 2017 MINI Clubman Cooper S

JST
01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
I had a few minutes to kill yesterday, and needed to take my mind off all the Trump fuckery, so I stopped at the Mini dealer to check out the new(ish) Clubman. This is one of the few cars that would make sense as a Golf replacement (others are a new Golf R, a Focus RS, and an Audi A4 6M).

I actually drove two cars--an automatic Clubman, and a manual hardtop Cooper (to see how the clutch and shifter felt).

The Clubman is an impressive car. It's chassis feels composed and serious in the way that I remember from the R56, though it's obviously a lot bigger. It doesn't have the same darty agility as the R56 did, but it remains an admirable drivers car.

The overall package is usefully larger than the Cooper. It's got enough room that I could replace the Golf with it, no problem. The side-hinged rear doors (for the "boot") are a gimmick, but kind of a neat one. The rear pillar in the middle is obtrusive but not unduly so.

Where the Clubman starts to lose me is in performance. It's not a fast car, but more to the point it doesn't *feel* fast. The 2.0 is tuned in such an extravagantly under-stressed fashion that it doesn't feel particularly special. If anything, it's tuned to feel kind of like a bigger, normally aspirated four. BMWs four cylinder engines continue to strike me as weirdly unrefined compared to the competition, too--why do they idle like tractors?

With FWD, you get some torque steer, as well, which is not a welcome guest especially given the somewhat ordinary performance. The All4 package brings AWD, which presumably tames the torque steer--but the 2.0 doesn't need any more weight to carry.

The JCW likely feels a lot more special, with an extra 40 hp, but I didn't get a chance to drive one of those. But...

The normal Clubman is about 35K optioned up the way I'd want it. The JCW is (hold onto something) 44.

That's a non-starter.

So, I'm going to give the Clubman S a bit more thought. It's a nice package, but it's hard not to think of it as a step down from the (faster, more special feeling, AWD) Golf R.

Sharp11
01-29-2017, 10:52 PM
So, I'm going to give the Clubman S a bit more thought. It's a nice package, but it's hard not to think of it as a step down from the (faster, more special feeling, AWD) Golf R.

Same chassis and (I think?) engine as the X1 I wrote about a few days ago.

The engine was the biggest disappointment in terms of refinement but it put out decent power; if you're looking at a Clubman with an auto, try the X1 with the sports seat (or M Sport package if you can find one).

Probably around 10 grand more, though the lease deals look good right now.

Ed

JST
01-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Not really interested in non-stick options, but I guess the converse is true--if you're looking at an X1, a Clubman or new Countryman might be something to check out.

JST
01-29-2017, 11:15 PM
Oh, never mind. No stick with Countryman S. Just available on base model.

Sharp11
01-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Not really interested in non-stick options, but I guess the converse is true--if you're looking at an X1, a Clubman or new Countryman might be something to check out.

The current Cooper S looks nice, I need to drive one at some point. I like the new size.

lip277
01-30-2017, 12:24 AM
I had a friend buy a 4 door Cooper S a year back. NICE car... for what it is. It does really feel like a little BMW. If I were in the market for something like that - would be a worth considering.

ZBB
01-30-2017, 07:05 AM
We had a base Clubman as a loaner about a year ago (shortly after they came out). I was impressed -- although it does need more power (we didn't drive the S).

My wife wants to replace her '12 Countryman layer this year. The Clubman or new Countryman are on the shortlist...

John V
01-30-2017, 07:30 AM
My wife still brings up Minis as a replacement for the MS3. And I cringe every time. Every generation of every model of Mini has had terrible reliability. No thanks.

wdc330i
01-30-2017, 08:03 AM
I think there are some 2 series four door iterations coming to the US soon. FWD, though.

Nick M3
01-30-2017, 09:53 AM
I'd seriously consider one if they were quieter.

Jeff_DML
01-30-2017, 09:55 AM
... BMWs four cylinder engines continue to strike me as weirdly unrefined compared to the competition, too--why do they idle like tractors?

... .

I think it is the high pressure injectors for direct injection. My wife's friend pulled up in a x3 yesterday and it sounded terrible too.

JST
01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
The current Cooper S looks nice, I need to drive one at some point. I like the new size.

Interesting. I thought the Cooper S two door that I drove offered very little to recommend it. It's grown enough (and been "refined" enough) that all of the chuckability that made the R56 so entertaining is gone. I remember when I drove the R56 back-to-back with a GTI that the GTI felt huge and really luxurious. The difference is smaller/non-existent now.

Since the car doesn't feel any smaller or more nimble than a Golf, I can't really think of a reason to put up with it instead of a Golf.

The Clubman is a slightly different story, since it is in a slightly different size class.

Biggins
01-30-2017, 11:06 AM
It has already been mentioned, but the new Clubman is a pretty large vehicle now. I like the one I've seen recently in my neighborhood, but I think I still prefer the prior Clubman or even the new 5-door Mini. I don't think I would take the chance on its reliability without a warranty.

Another neighbor bought the normal Mini with the 3-cyl turbo and seems to be very happy with it. :dunno:

ZBB
01-30-2017, 12:14 PM
I'd seriously consider one if they were quieter.

The new Clubman is much quieter than older gen Minis...

Sharp11
01-30-2017, 12:20 PM
I didn't realize Mini now had a four-door AND a Clubman ... gets a bit confusing if you're not up on your Mini's. :)

Nick M3
01-30-2017, 01:44 PM
The new Clubman is much quieter than older gen Minis...
Or rather, Countryman. The Clubman doesn't do anything useful for me.

ZBB
01-30-2017, 02:54 PM

I would expect the new one will also be much less noisy. We'll probably test the new Countryman at some point over the next 2 months or so...

JST
01-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Countryman is not available with a stick in the S flavor. Might as well get an X1, if you want a slushie, which I figure you don't.

Clubman is actually fairly roomy. I wouldn't write if off without at least checking it out. But it's slower than I think you want.

Alan
01-30-2017, 06:31 PM
I read your post this morning and it has stayed in my head all day as I keep thinking you should definitely test drive the A4. We recently got the new model for my daughter and I was driving it yesterday ... it is a really fun car to drive.

You'd want the sport package because you won't like the body roll with the non sport suspension (which is what we have and would drive you crazy)... the engine is great if you like turbos and it is a really fast car.

All I can tell you is everytime I drive it I get out and think to myself ... this is a fun car.

Price can range from high $30k to high $40k.

We did look at the countryman since my daughter loves that car but I felt it was too small.

Nick M3
01-30-2017, 06:34 PM
I read your post this morning and it has stayed in my head all day as I keep thinking you should definitely test drive the A4. We recently got the new model for my daughter and I was driving it yesterday ... it is a really fun car to drive.

You'd want the sport package because you won't like the body roll with the non sport suspension (which is what we have and would drive you crazy)... the engine is great if you like turbos and it is a really fast car.

All I can tell you is everytime I drive it I get out and think to myself ... this is a fun car.

Price can range from high $30k to high $40k.

We did look at the countryman since my daughter loves that car but I felt it was too small.
I put 300 miles on a B9 A4 last week (Silvercar).

It's nice in a boringly pleasant way. Audi is definitely benefiting from the work Porsche is doing on electric steering. That kicks the shit out of any recent BMW that I've tried. I don't like the turbo lag, but could live in it.

Also, as a side note, carplay support is *really* nice.

JST
01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Yes, I drove a Silvercar a bit ago, too. Would want to try one with a stick and the sport suspension, but it was a pretty nice car in every other way.

Nick M3
01-30-2017, 07:05 PM
Yes, I drove a Silvercar a bit ago, too. Would want to try one with a stick and the sport suspension, but it was a pretty nice car in every other way.
Ugh. Manual comes with "Quattro Ultra," which is FWD unless it feels like sending some power to the rear.

JST
01-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Is that Haldex?

JST
01-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Here's a breakdown:

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/audis-high-tech-new-quattro-is-about-to-piss-off-its-bi-1760502139/amp?client=safari

John V
01-30-2017, 09:04 PM
The last A4 (turbo I-4 manual B8) I drove was lethargic and floppy. It was like a German Camry. I'd be ecstatic to rent one, but to own and drive every day? nah.

Nick M3
01-30-2017, 09:50 PM
The last A4 (turbo I-4 manual B8) I drove was lethargic and floppy. It was like a German Camry. I'd be ecstatic to rent one, but to own and drive every day? nah.
The B9 base chassis dynamics are way better than the B8. It also has a fair bit more power, so it doesn't feel slow. Just a bit of lag, maybe a hair worse than the N55.

Would I want to have one as my only car? No. But as a highway and commuter car? Sure. It just needs the suspension tightened up a little bit (Silvercar is using non-sport B9s, whereas they were using S-line B8.5s, which is interesting), but I suspect that the sport package would do that. It just floats a bit over 85 (in Mexico).

With, of course, the caveat that I have no idea how the manual drives vs. the DCT.

It's not a fun car, but I'm getting to a point where highway road noise is a real problem for me. (And my wife doesn't like it when I wear earplugs / noise canceling headphones in the car with her for some reason.)

Alan
01-30-2017, 10:34 PM

I wasn't a fan of the B8 either ... The loaner B8 I had was an automatic with the weirdest shifts ever ... it was WWWAAAAYYY too smooth I posted here about it but the B9 has a much better feel ... I'm not really here to say it is a great drivers car ( heck this is one of my teenage daughters car) but I will say I really enjoy driving that car. It reminds me of the days when I had a 3 series as my only car ... fun !!!