PDA

View Full Version : Solar battery maintainer

JST
01-28-2017, 03:38 PM
I bought one of these thinking it was probably BS and wouldn't work, but it did.

Keeping the Porsches battery charged in the winter is always a challenge, because I can only usually drive it a couple of times a month. Using a normal maintainer is not ideal, because the car is parked pretty far from a plug and I'm not convinced that leaving these things plugged in and lying on the ground is a good idea.

The solar maintainer is the perfect option; you can plug it into the cigar lighter and string the wire out the door. The unit is weatherproof, as well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/cfa0706f958e0638fe1659c6c11bfdaf.jpg

bren
01-28-2017, 07:00 PM
I thought about one of those for the trailer battery.

So did you put in a mounting post, or do you just toss the panel on the ground?

JST
01-28-2017, 07:59 PM
The car is parked next to my porch table, so I just put it on that. I probably wouldn't leave it on the ground, but any pole or small table should do. Orientation doesn't seem to be super critical.

kognito
01-29-2017, 09:06 AM
I had one of those in my Volvo 780. Those big trucks have a lot of parasitic draw.

I just laid it on the dashboard. But it was a big ass red truck, so I didn't care if it blocked some discoloring of the dash. (but it didn't)

Alan
01-29-2017, 09:40 AM
The car is parked next to my porch table,.

You have a porch table on your driveway ? Does the driveway circle around the whole house to the back of it ?

JST
01-29-2017, 10:05 AM
It's more that my back porch doubles as a parking spot.

rumatt
01-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Cool, I think I want one of these.

How well does it work if you leave it inside the car?

And which brand did you buy?

clyde
01-29-2017, 11:25 AM
You have a porch table on your driveway ? Does the driveway circle around the whole house to the back of it ?

:lol:

(JST, sorry I'm such an asshole for laughing)

clyde
01-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Using a normal maintainer is not ideal, because the car is parked pretty far from a plug and I'm not convinced that leaving these things plugged in and lying on the ground is a good idea.

I took the battery out of the Jaguar. It's sitting on ground in garage. I plug it into the tender overnight once a week or so. Everything in the car will have to be reset when it goes back in...windows, e brake, etc. Because why not have those things have memories that hinge on power source?