PDA

View Full Version : Pleasantly surprised by my v6 Charger rental

robg
12-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Had a compact reserved with enterprise but they were all out. Got a Charger in SXT trim (white of course) for the same price.

I think this might be my favorite rental car. The v6 is very smooth (makes me miss port fuel injection),makes good power and I'd say it has one of the more natural feeling EPS steering setups with a good on center feel. Also drove exceptionally smoothly without ever feeling floaty. Seems to have one of the best implementations of the zF 8 speed (I wasn't annoyed by it as I am in bmws).

The overall experience is vaguely reminiscent of driving an 80s S class (w126?). Made me want to take a long road trip. Very firm but supportive seats and mono-stalk add to the old school benz feel. Loved the steering wheel too. Felt just as good as a BMW msport wheel but with more functions controllable via the buttons.

Build quality is indifferent with cheap plastics used below eye level, terrible glove box fit and a misaligned trunk lid. But no rattles even with 28k rental miles. And nothing that seemed lose or bendable. Some nice details though like the real aluminum dash trim and trunk carpeting that extends to underside of rear shelf (most German sedans leave exposed metal there).Overall I actually looked forward to driving it. Even without a backup camera the huge size didn't bother me or become troublesome.

In contrast, I also tried out ReachNow and drove a 328 xdrive. I'd take a Charger any day over one of those. Lifeless steering,rattles, and a hollow feel.

I think if I could score a cheap lease on an RT (v8 version) it would make a great commuter/family car. Not nice enough or expensive enough to worry about but a fun, good looking and capable cruiser. The image is definitely rental car/redneck/subprime loans and FCA is a bit of a train wreck but on a lease who cares. My wife was scared to drive it because it seemed "too big" though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bren
12-21-2016, 02:49 PM
I was trapped at the Dodge dealer recently, and while wondering around was really surprised at all of the package variants available on those cars. Also, shocked that they had several manual trans equipped Challengers on the lot.

Jeff_DML
12-21-2016, 02:50 PM
I think it is based on a old mercedes platform if I remember correctly.

JST
12-21-2016, 02:56 PM
"Charger in SXT trim"

This is all Anthony Weiner will drive.

Nick M3
12-21-2016, 04:25 PM
yes. it is very, very distantly related to the W210.

TD
12-21-2016, 04:47 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by my Charger SRT rental a few months back. Ride quality was excellent. And having a rumbling V8 was fun. Not sure if I'd have liked it as much without the V8.

robg
12-21-2016, 05:43 PM
"Charger in SXT trim"

This is all Anthony Weiner will drive.

LOL

robg
12-21-2016, 05:45 PM

Some of the suspension design is based on the w210 and 220 e and S class apparently. Up until 2014 they used the old benz 5 speed automatic as well.

robg
12-21-2016, 05:46 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by my Charger SRT rental a few months back. Ride quality was excellent. And having a rumbling V8 was fun. Not sure if I'd have liked it as much without the V8.

Wow - how'd you score an SRT rental? I'd love to try one of those out.

JST
12-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Wow - how'd you score an SRT rental? I'd love to try one of those out.

I think it was just an RT, no?

robg
05-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Resurrecting this thread (and my Charger enthusiasm). Enterprise gave me a 17 charger RT in LA this past weekend.

Can't believe how loud they've made the exhaust. Anyway, it was a blast. Loved the paddle shifters too - made great v8 brrrrap noises plus they're actually metal (unlike certain luxury brands).

Great steering too - no deadness on center and gave me the confidence to really drive this thing aggressively. Surprisingly engaging on twisty roads. Ended up driving it around just for fun. Drives the way a 5 series should. More fun than any f30 I've driven too. Love the looks.

Which leads me to the downside - average 12 mpg! Oh and the seats are firm in the bad sense of the word (American Airlines economy style). On the tech front it had the best implementation of CarPlay I've used so far with the uconnect icons still visible at the bottom.

I really want one of these now. Damn. I'm sure that walking into a Chrysler/dodge dealer will kill it for me though

bren
05-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Paddle feel is so important. The x3 has no "detent" feeling when you pull them and it's​ really disappointing every time.

This also reminds me that I forgot how badly I want the metal SMG paddles.

3LOU5
05-16-2017, 04:03 AM
Resurrecting this thread (and my Charger enthusiasm). Enterprise gave me a 17 charger RT in LA this past weekend.

Can't believe how loud they've made the exhaust. Anyway, it was a blast. Loved the paddle shifters too - made great v8 brrrrap noises plus they're actually metal (unlike certain luxury brands).

Great steering too - no deadness on center and gave me the confidence to really drive this thing aggressively. Surprisingly engaging on twisty roads. Ended up driving it around just for fun. Drives the way a 5 series should. More fun than any f30 I've driven too. Love the looks.

Which leads me to the downside - average 12 mpg! Oh and the seats are firm in the bad sense of the word (American Airlines economy style). On the tech front it had the best implementation of CarPlay I've used so far with the uconnect icons still visible at the bottom.

I really want one of these now. Damn. I'm sure that walking into a Chrysler/dodge dealer will kill it for me though

6.2L V-8
650 lb ft
707 hp

Go big, or go home....

http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2016/03/2016-Dodge-Charger-Go-Mango-front-three-quarter.jpg

Plaz
05-16-2017, 08:45 AM
I actually like those wheels a lot.

robg
05-16-2017, 07:15 PM
I actually like those wheels a lot.

Looks like you can get them on the "Daytona" trim level for 17 as well

robg
05-16-2017, 07:21 PM
6.2L V-8

650 lb ft

707 hp

Go big, or go home....

http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2016/03/2016-Dodge-Charger-Go-Mango-front-three-quarter.jpg

Ha- yeah that seems to be how the discussion always goes with the Charger - just get the hellcat.

Personally, I have very little interest in it. Sure I'd like to drive one but, at a certain point, id rather spend the extra money on a nicer car than having a more powerful charger. That's why the RT makes sense to me - you get the v8 sound and feel for under 40k. Unless it's just for the ego/bragging rights.