PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a 4Runner..

Aerials
01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Anywhere between 96-98. Are they any good? They seem pretty expensive still, so I would assume they were built pretty well.

What do you guys think? How long do these things last if they were well maintained? 200k? 300k?

Thanks in advance.:)

Couple of listings...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/543655206.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/car/541630716.html

dan
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
why?

ff
01-19-2008, 06:49 PM
why?
Dude, you're such a troll.

LTS, I've never heard anything that would keep me from considering an older 4Runner. They seem like they're built well (body on frame, solid rear axle, etc), and last a long time. To get a good idea of what they should be selling for, I'd check www.kbb.com, though.

Aerials
01-19-2008, 07:13 PM
why?

We need a reliable SUV.

LTS, I've never heard anything that would keep me from considering an older 4Runner. They seem like they're built well (body on frame, solid rear axle, etc), and last a long time. To get a good idea of what they should be selling for, I'd check www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com), though.

That's what I was trying to find out. My brother has one, and they seem to have no problems with it whatsoever. It's a 97 I believe, and has around 120k miles. I was just wondering if it was his luck to get a good one.

I'll keep searching around and reading reviews on it. That I guess would be my best bet.

Thanks

dan
01-19-2008, 08:43 PM

:dunno:

how can we be expected to give our opinion if we don't know what the uses/desires are/will be?

dan
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
We need a reliable SUV.

For what purposes?

Aerials
01-19-2008, 09:51 PM
For what purposes?

Basically hauling around the family. The e46 is good, but we drive almost 90 miles a day, so we need something that has just as much space, reliable and decent on gas. That pretty much covers the basics I would say...

SARAFIL
01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Not sure if I'd call this good on gas, but they are quite reliable and will certainly last a long time.

If gas mileage is a concern, perhaps you might want to consider a Highlander which is also a well-built vehicle, but has a bit less mass to carry, a smaller engine, and would probably be a bit more nimble as well. You'd have to go a bit newer/more expensive, though.

Aerials
01-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Not sure if I'd call this good on gas, but they are quite reliable and will certainly last a long time.

If gas mileage is a concern, perhaps you might want to consider a Highlander which is also a well-built vehicle, but has a bit less mass to carry, a smaller engine, and would probably be a bit more nimble as well. You'd have to go a bit newer/more expensive, though.

I wouldn't mind a Highlander, but the thing is that I am on a very limited budget. Highlanders are pretty new still, so I doubt I would be able to find one as cheap as a 4Runner..

Aerials
01-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Hmm...

Seems that these things are known for Head Gasket problems.:toetap:

That's the reason I am getting rid of my e30. I also see that they do horrible gas mileage (the 4x4's). But I don't plan on getting a 4x4, so I guess my only concern is the Head Gasket.

Anybody here have any problems with their 4Runner if they had one?

bren
01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
We need a reliable SUV.

I don't plan on getting a 4x4

:scratch:

Aerials
01-20-2008, 12:50 PM
:scratch:

lip277
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Have you priced out insurance rates for some of the different options? You mention trying to not spend too much $$....

I insure... (daily driver status)

1995 740i
2001 740iL
2003 Ford F250 PSD
2001 GMC Yukon (regular model, not Denali)

Guess what car is the most expensive?

Yeah - The GMC.
So - You might want to factor the cost in insurance in the equation for Highlander/4Runner debate. I suspect the Highlander may be more expensive to get but it should be cheaper on gas and (I suspect) insurance as well... Presuming it works for what you are looking for in the first place.

Oh - And it probably rides better as it is a car based SUV - not based on a pickup.

Just my two cents.

dan
01-20-2008, 01:46 PM
The e46 is good, but we drive almost 90 miles a day

:?

Aerials
01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
:?

Aerials
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Have you priced out insurance rates for some of the different options? You mention trying to not spend too much $$....

I insure... (daily driver status)

1995 740i
2001 740iL
2003 Ford F250 PSD
2001 GMC Yukon (regular model, not Denali)

Guess what car is the most expensive?

Yeah - The GMC.
So - You might want to factor the cost in insurance in the equation for Highlander/4Runner debate. I suspect the Highlander may be more expensive to get but it should be cheaper on gas and (I suspect) insurance as well... Presuming it works for what you are looking for in the first place.

Oh - And it probably rides better as it is a car based SUV - not based on a pickup.

Just my two cents.

Good point. No, I have not checked the insurance rates. I pay $54 a month for the e30, but not sure how much more it would be for a SUV.

I'm going to look into insurance rates now.

lupinsea
01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
:? :dunno:

:lol:

Well, if you don't need 4WD, not sure why you'd get a 4Runner. From what I remember they don't actually haul all that many people (5, right?). Why not continue to use the E46? No SUV will get anywhere near the E46's milage. Certainly not the 4Runner.

The Highlanders are pretty good. My friend's girlfriend has one and she drives it like a race car. I'm usually white knuckled in the back. Suffice to say it is pretty nimble with sufficient scoot. But she gets upset whenever I refer to it as a minivan. . . because that what they look like.

FWIW, I had an 86 Toyota pick/up that was pretty reliable. Finally had to replace the head at 240k miles though. The gasket was fine but there was some electrolisis pitting tht was causing leaks. Did it myself in an afternoon so it only cost $500 for a new head 'n stuff. . . worked great, until I got in an accident and totaled the truck. :mad:

Aerials
01-20-2008, 03:02 PM
:lol:

Well, if you don't need 4WD, not sure why you'd get a 4Runner. From what I remember they don't actually haul all that many people (5, right?). Why not continue to use the E46? No SUV will get anywhere near the E46's milage. Certainly not the 4Runner.

The Highlanders are pretty good. My friend's girlfriend has one and she drives it like a race car. I'm usually white knuckled in the back. Suffice to say it is pretty nimble with sufficient scoot. But she gets upset whenever I refer to it as a minivan. . . because that what they look like.

FWIW, I had an 86 Toyota pick/up that was pretty reliable. Finally had to replace the head at 240k miles though. The gasket was fine but there was some electrolisis pitting tht was causing leaks. Did it myself in an afternoon so it only cost $500 for a new head 'n stuff. . . worked great, until I got in an accident and totaled the truck. :mad:

The 4Runner limited comes with 4x4. The regular 4Runner comes with 4x2. I'm trying to limit the miles on the e46. I'd prefer to use the car for family trips or going different places. Right now it is our everything car. They require too much maitenance to be used as an eveyday/everything car.

The 4Runner is just an idea. I have always liked them, but they are much to expensive when they are new.

Mr. The Edge
01-22-2008, 12:21 AM
We had a 1997 4Runner Limited and it was a GREAT vehicle. We had absolutely zero issues with it.

Good luck; you can't go wrong with one that is in good shape.

edit: Just clicked on LTS' two links. Get at least a 1997 as that's when the new (well new then) bodystyle came out. Also, stay away from the color combo on that 1998. Dime a dozen. We had a white one with the grey trim and beige interior.

Aerials
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
We had a 1997 4Runner Limited and it was a GREAT vehicle. We had absolutely zero issues with it.

Good luck; you can't go wrong with one that is in good shape.

edit: Just clicked on LTS' two links. Get at least a 1997 as that's when the new (well new then) bodystyle came out. Also, stay away from the color combo on that 1998. Dime a dozen. We had a white one with the grey trim and beige interior.

Thanks Ryan.

After doing lots of research, I found that the 3.0 has the most problems. But the 3.4 is really good.

I came across this one. Only 73k miles on it. I wish I had the money right now-- This one is perfect.:(

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/car/546551447.html

Nick M3
01-22-2008, 12:39 AM
What maintenance do E46es require that other cars don't? Buying a beater to keep mileage down is not a good idea.

Aerials
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
What maintenance do E46es require that other cars don't? Buying a beater to keep mileage down is not a good idea.

Window Regulators for one:ack:

We just need a second car in general. There is 3 of us using one car. It's not so much it requires different maintenance, but it's more expensive then other cars.

And I don't want another car, I want a SUV. But a reliable one. I assumed Toyota would be my best bet..:dunno:

bren
01-22-2008, 09:18 AM
And I don't want another car, I want a SUV.
A 2wd SUV :lol:

Sorry, that's just silly to me.

FC
01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Get an old Volvo wagon or an old MB wagon.

ff
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
A 2wd SUV :lol:

Sorry, that's just silly to me.

How often would you need 4WD living in LA, though?

SCA
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
My DD is a '97 limited (158k miles), gas mileage is not the greatest, but for basic transportation it works (reliable).

FC
01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
How often would you need 4WD living in LA, though?

So why an SUV then, why not a big old wagon?

Rob
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Everyone I know that has had a 4runner has loved it. I wouldn't hesitate if you found the right one, provided you know what you are looking for and this is the car you want to get into.

lupinsea
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
The 4Runner would probably be the best bet for you but if you're looking for inexpensive, functional, semi-light, and not too big then the Jeep Cherokees are worth considering. . . 1991+.

With proper care and feeding they should last to 250k - 300k miles. The 4.0L I-6 is a solid motor. Milage is ok (my 92 saw 19+ mpg on the hwy with 150k one the vehicle). They seat 5 and the rear seat folds pretty flat. Visibility is great, they're lighter than an E46 and have a 5000 lb. towing capacity.

Plus they're cheap.

Good Cherokees can be had in the $3-4k range w/ 150k-ish miles on the odo. . . which still leave a lot of life left in the rigs.

Can get them in stick or automatic.

Can get them with full-time 4WD + locking transfercase and 4-Lo, or just the standard part-time 4WD w/ 4Lo.

1997+ had some NVH upgrades I think but the older vehicles are just fine.

More Cherokee info here. (http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/XJ_Cherokee)

Anyways, I probably sound like a broken record to the other guys on the board here but you're new. :D So, it may not be what you're looking for but it wouldn't hurt to take one for a test drive.

FC
01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
The 4Runner would probably be the best bet for you but if you're looking for inexpensive, functional, semi-light, and not too big then the Jeep Cherokees are worth considering. . . 1991+.

With proper care and feeding they should last to 250k - 300k miles. The 4.0L I-6 is a solid motor. Milage is ok (my 92 saw 19+ mpg on the hwy with 150k one the vehicle). They seat 5 and the rear seat folds pretty flat. Visibility is great, they're lighter than an E46 and have a 5000 lb. towing capacity.

Plus they're cheap.

Good Cherokees can be had in the $3-4k range w/ 150k-ish miles on the odo. . . which still leave a lot of life left in the rigs.

Can get them in stick or automatic.

Can get them with full-time 4WD + locking transfercase and 4-Lo, or just the standard part-time 4WD w/ 4Lo.

1997+ had some NVH upgrades I think but the older vehicles are just fine.

More Cherokee info here. (http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/XJ_Cherokee)

Anyways, I probably sound like a broken record to the other guys on the board here but you're new. :D So, it may not be what you're looking for but it wouldn't hurt to take one for a test drive.

Thanks to these kind of posts from lup, I convinced my brother to buy a Cherokee. He got a great '00 for $5K with less than 100K miles. He loves it.

3LOU5
01-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Get an old Volvo wagon or an old MB wagon.

Because wagons don't have that "cool" factor when compared to SUVs.

IMHO, wagons are up there with minivans. :eeps:

3LOU5
01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Everyone I know that has had a 4runner has loved it. I wouldn't hesitate if you found the right one, provided you know what you are looking for and this is the car you want to get into.

:+1

My uncle had one, a '97 with 4WD iirc. I got to drive it a few times when we went deep sea fishing in the Jersey shore. Nice rig. It was still in great shape and mechanically sound with he got rid of it with close to 150k miles.

If I didn't need to pull a future boat, I'd have probably gotten one.....if not, a Tacoma.

lupinsea
01-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks to these kind of posts from lup, I convinced my brother to buy a Cherokee. He got a great '00 for $5K with less than 100K miles. He loves it.

Sweet. . . didn't hear of the out come of that, I remember you mentioned he was looking. Glad he likes it.

After our recent test drives of a Hyundai Tucson (my wife likes (liked?) them) it reminded me how much I liked the Cherokees. By comparison, my '92 Cherokee had more power and get up and go. Plus it was far less ponderous feeling than the Tucson with better visibility. Tucson's interior was nicer but the rest of the car seemed inferior.

I might suggest we look at one ourselves here soon. Though I think my wife wants leather and something newer.

FC
01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Because wagons don't have that "cool" factor when compared to SUVs.

IMHO, wagons are up there with minivans. :eeps:

That's YOUR opinion.

My wagon is FAR cooler than almost ANY SUV. Plus I didn't see "cool" as a requirement.

ff
01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
So why an SUV then, why not a big old wagon?

Interior volume. Ability to tow more than 1000 pounds. Those would be the reasons why I'd choose an SUV over a wagon.

FC
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Interior volume. Ability to tow more than 1000 pounds. Those would be the reasons why I'd choose an SUV over a wagon.

A Volvo wagon has a lot of cargo space (58 cu ft) and can tow 3300lbs.:dunno:

Nick M3
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Too bad we can't buy the real hitches here. Most BMWs are rated to tow 3-4K in Europe.

3LOU5
01-22-2008, 06:52 PM
That's YOUR opinion.

My wagon is FAR cooler than almost ANY SUV. Plus I didn't see "cool" as a requirement.

I guess what I meant is that the "image" factor isn't there. :D

FWIW, I had a 5-series wagon as a loaner once not too long ago. I dubbed it as "The Ultimate Family Mobile".

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=9777

wdc330i
01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I guess what I meant is that the "image" factor isn't there. :D

FWIW, I had a 5-series wagon as a loaner once not too long ago. I dubbed it as "The Ultimate Family Mobile".

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=9777

I concur again, it is. And, Ed, there are some tremendous deals for lightly used ones. I've seen nicely optioned ones (your wife will want the comfort seats) with low mileage for around $40,000. VOB in MD has a number around that price right now.

Oops. Thought I was still in Ed's thread...

Aerials
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
But I may be getting this in the next couple of days.:D

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/552027045.html

Insurance rates were just way to high for SUV's, so decided to go for a full size sedan.

Kinda high mileage, but I hear they last pretty long.

Rob
01-28-2008, 01:32 AM
umm . . . I paid $7k for an old BMW - yes, it has 200k miles, but it runs like it had 30k miles and I expect it will last another 150k miles without issue. It's rwd, handles ok, is somewhat fun to drive, and . . . well, just food for thought.

ff
01-28-2008, 08:06 AM
But I may be getting this in the next couple of days.:D

Looks clean. But one thing I still can't figure out is... what's the difference between miles, and "actual" miles? Are actual miles better, or worse than non-actual miles? ;)

John V
01-29-2008, 02:28 PM
That generation Maxima is very nice as competent, basic transportation. Though I'd never ever ever get one with an automatic.

wdc330i
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
That generation Maxima is very nice as competent, basic transportation. Though I'd never ever ever get one with an automatic.

My friend and neighbor has one for sale. But it's on the right coast. They're expecting third child and bought a Honda Pilot.