PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's pickup ever get hit in the bed?

blee
10-01-2016, 10:52 AM
:irate::irate:

This morning, as I was turning in a left-turn lane, a driver ran a red from the opposing (straight) direction. I accelerated as much as I could and he started to swerve, but he hit my right rear with his front left.

The good news: no passengers, and we're both fine. Incidentally, we were both driving Silverados...and in fact the other guy is a salesman from the dealer where I bought mine.

The bad news: My bed definitely took a beating. The steel held up okay, given the circumstances, but I have no idea what to expect as far as estimates or repairs. I've never dealt with repair work on body-on-frame vehicles, or vehicles with physically separate beds. Does anyone out there have experience? What should I expect as I deal with the body shops?

Nick M3
10-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Well, past a certain point, you can just throw the bed away.

Otherwise, nothing is really any different as far as sheet metal repairs go. It's just easier.

blee
10-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Guess we'll see what the adjuster says. For now, my taillight harness is being held in place with a bungee cord, and every time the exposed bulb filaments touch metal it smokes a little bit. :lol: I'll pull the bulbs out properly when I'm home and have access to gloves/pliers.

Wish I knew how fast the other guy was going when I was hit. When he got out of the car, there was smoke coming out of the cabin and he said that OnStar had activated. Kind of ominous that the airbags didn't deploy if that's the case.

blee
10-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Photos, just to be complete. I find the "Service Park Assist" message humorous.

rumatt
10-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Oh man sorry.

Did he accept fault?

blee
10-01-2016, 11:40 AM
He more or less did. Not sure how he could otherwise; I had a green, he had a red, I have a witness. The cop wasn't there at the moment of the accident and therefore couldn't judge, but he suggested that it would be hard to argue otherwise. Guess we'll see.

bren
10-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I would imagine they'll replace that whole side panel as a unit. Hopefully there's no damage to the roll-pan or frame rails. Did the bumper bolts shear, or pull everything back with it?

blee
10-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Gonna find out when I get hone.

blee
10-01-2016, 03:28 PM
The right rear fender is definitely toast. Interestingly enough, it looks like the bed itself is still straight and true. The tailgate won't open much due to interference from the very zigzagged bumper. While the bumper itself is also toast, the bumper mounts and the frame appear to be okay (but rusty).

Not too proud to say that my first stops after calling the insurance company were kbb.com, chevrolet.com, and gmc.com...

SARAFIL
10-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Trade it in before the accident hits the carfax! :)

You'll have a bit of a hit either way for body work, but much less if the carfax is clean and they can pass it along to a clueless buyer.

blee
10-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Trade it in before the accident hits the carfax! :)

You'll have a bit of a hit either way for body work, but much less if the carfax is clean and they can pass it along to a clueless buyer.

Would it be weird if I tried to broker a deal with the guy who hit me? :ack:

kognito
10-01-2016, 05:07 PM
I bet the bumper is more expensive that the whole bed.

Whole beds are available (cheap) but not sure about in your area. I have seen beds stacked up at truck converters in Elkhart and Valpasario IN. As well as at 2L and Herring truck converters in Texas.

Glad you are OK

kognito
10-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Would it be weird if I tried to broker a deal with the guy who hit me? :ack:

Unless he is the GSM, or related to the owners, I doubt it

clyde
10-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Unless he is the GSM, or related to the owners, I doubt it

Blair, remember Tom Hatton Pontiac on Rockville Pike? Mr Hatton himself totaled my 318i in the mid/late 80s when I stopped for a red light on Old Georgetown and he didn't. Tried talking him into cutting a deal on a Trans Am, but all he was willing to do was give me a 6000 STE as a loaner for a couple weeks.

clyde
10-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Duck tape the liht in place, pull the bumper enough so the tailgate opens and you got yourself a real pick me up truck with some insurance money in your pocket for fun.

bren
10-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Duck tape the liht in place, pull the bumper enough so the tailgate opens and you got yourself a real pick me up truck with some insurance money in your pocket for fun.

Depending on the possible profit, I would consider taking it to a PDR guy to see how close to good enough they can get it. :)

blee
10-02-2016, 10:00 AM

I was tempted there, for about three minutes. I doubt the estimate would be enough to get something worth that kind of sadness, though.

blee
10-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Blair, remember Tom Hatton Pontiac on Rockville Pike? Mr Hatton himself totaled my 318i in the mid/late 80s when I stopped for a red light on Old Georgetown and he didn't. Tried talking him into cutting a deal on a Trans Am, but all he was willing to do was give me a 6000 STE as a loaner for a couple weeks.

Barely remember that place. I bought my Grand Prix from King, just a bit down the street.

But that sucks. :lol:

blee
10-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Update: got a call from the other guy's insurance company. After I explained what happened, she told me that there was a discrepancy in stories. Thankfully, I have a witness -- the guy in the inner turn lane, who didn't get hit but turned around and stopped to give me his contact info. Super thankful, and I'll definitely return the favor for someone one day.

Seriously though, people suck. Well, I guess only half of all people suck, given n=2.

bren
10-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Seriously though, people suck.

Yep.

At least your guy called it in to his insurance co. I've been screwed when the insurance company "couldn't contact the insured" and closed my case.

Not sure how it could be your fault anyway unless you were driving backwards. :rolleyes:

clyde
10-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Not sure how it could be your fault anyway unless you were driving backwards. :rolleyes:

The guy that him had the green light. Blair was either running a red or didn't yield. Duh.

kognito
10-04-2016, 09:31 PM
The guy that him had the green light. Blair was either running a red or didn't yield. Duh.

drinking early today?

equ
10-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Seriously though, people suck. Well, I guess only half of all people suck, given n=2.

:lol::lol:

blee
10-04-2016, 09:35 PM

That would be a valid (but factually incorrect) argument, I guess.

If I heard correctly, the other guy supposedly had a witness. If it's who I think it is, there was a guy in a 2005-edition Mustang who pulled up behind us after the accident. He was also wearing a shirt from the dealership. I'm curious to know what he has to say.

Also, I'm going to buy a dashcam.

rumatt
10-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Oh man that sucks. Balls.

I wondered how you would get him to admit that he ran the red light though. :(

clyde
10-04-2016, 11:06 PM
drinking early today?
My iPad does that sometimes.
That would be a valid (but factually incorrect) argument, I guess.

If I heard correctly, the other guy supposedly had a witness. If it's who I think it is, there was a guy in a 2005-edition Mustang who pulled up behind us after the accident. He was also wearing a shirt from the dealership. I'm curious to know what he has to say.

Also, I'm going to buy a dashcam.
If he has a witness to corroborate his facts, perhaps you are factually incorrect.

Good luck with not getting hit by your insurance after you have them take care of it. :/

Oh man that sucks. Balls.

I wondered how you would get him to admit that he ran the red light though. :(

Oddly enough, some people are honest. Weird. I know.

blee
10-05-2016, 09:02 AM
I am, in fact, not factually incorrect. I waited at that left turn light for two cycles (dunno, maybe I didn't get there soon enough for the sensor to trip the first time), and I distinctly remember watching the light turn green before I proceeded to turn. My witness was in a RAV4 or something similar in the turn lane next to me, and we were both making the turn when I got hit (I think he was a nose or so ahead of me). Either the other guy is lying or confused, or the insurance company is trying to play fucky-fuck games with me. And I have no idea what the other guy's witness could possibly say.

I have an appointment for the estimate today. Given what's going on, I don't think I'll leave it there for repairs until I hear back from the other insurance company.

clyde
10-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I am, in fact, not factually incorrect.

Sorry, I believe you, believe that your description is accurate and am not questioning you or your description at all.

But I'm not the other guy's insurance company that was first told the story however the other guy told it, then (presumably) heard a corroborating description from the other guy's buddy, then told a conflicting story by you with something to gain by their guy's story being incorrect.

Hopefully, they reevaluate and decide to take responsibility after speaking with your witness.

blee
10-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I get it. Dashcam.

ff
10-05-2016, 03:05 PM
I think it's sort of unusual that you're having to deal directly with the other guy's insurance company. I thought that it was SOP for your insurance company to cover the repairs to get you back to normal, and then they go after the other guy/insurance separately. That's what we pay them for.

blee
10-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I find it a little weird too, but I don't do this very often. Will need to re-address after this is all done.

Leaving the car at the shop. Don't feel like explaining my zip tie light bulbs to the police, don't fee like taking more time out of my life to drop off/pick up.

bren
10-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Your insurance company will definitely handle it, though you will be out your deductible until (if) you get payment from the other guy's.

Plaz
10-05-2016, 07:25 PM
I think it's sort of unusual that you're having to deal directly with the other guy's insurance company. I thought that it was SOP for your insurance company to cover the repairs to get you back to normal, and then they go after the other guy/insurance separately. That's what we pay them for.

Unless you have a liability-only policy. Then they couldn't care less, as long as they don't have to pay out.

clyde
10-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Rules vary state to state, but that's exactly how he first steps have gone for the three crashes in my family in recent years where the other drivers were at fault. Call our insurance to report it, but not file claims. Call other insurance company and tell them what happened. They then talk to their insured, make a preliminary decision and call back. In our case, all three times the other insurance decided to take responsibility at that first point.

Each one was a little different from there because we were working with different insurance companies each time and some are easier to deal with than others (some throw a shitfit if you insist on OEM parts and refuse Chinese knock offs, etc). At any point, if we weren't happy, we could have had our insurance take care of things and then subrogate, but we didn't need to. Key is using a good body shop that doesn't bullshit you and does quality work.

As pointed out, you often have to pay your deductible up front. Hopefully, you'll get it back, but maybe not. Even better than that, if you file the claim with your carrier, you might lose discounts or see increased premiums next time your policy is up for renewal (or even not be given he option to renew) no matter what the outcome. Again, that varies state to state, but something to be aware of.

clyde
10-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Rules vary state to state, but that's exactly how he first steps have gone for the three crashes in my family in recent years where the other drivers were at fault. Call our insurance to report it, but not file claims. Call other insurance company and tell them what happened. They then talk to their insured, make a preliminary decision and call back. In our case, all three times the other insurance decided to take responsibility at that first point.

Each one was a little different from there because we were working with different insurance companies each time and some are easier to deal with than others (some throw a shitfit if you insist on OEM parts and refuse Chinese knock offs, etc). At any point, if we weren't happy, we could have had our insurance take care of things and then subrogate, but we didn't need to. Key is using a good body shop that doesn't bullshit you and does quality work.

As pointed out, you often have to pay your deductible up front. Hopefully, you'll get it back, but maybe not. Even better than that, if you file the claim with your carrier, you might lose discounts or see increased premiums next time your policy is up for renewal (or even not be given he option to renew) no matter what the outcome. Again, that varies state to state, but something to be aware of.

Actually, we started repairs on one of them before the other party took responsibility because we weren't sure how long it was going to be contested.

ff
10-06-2016, 06:59 AM
In our case, all three times the other insurance decided to take responsibility at that first point.

That's surprising to me, because I would kind of expect the other guy's insurance company to automatically deny all responsibility, and drag out the decision as long as they can. Maybe they can get into some sort of legal trouble if they're frivolously defensive, for instance in obvious cases where their client rear-ended you while you're waiting at a red light? Dunno.

blee
10-06-2016, 07:42 AM
As of yesterday afternoon (shortly before I got to the collision center), the other party's insurance had yet to determine liability. :mad: The shop itself looks to be pretty solid; they intend to use OEM parts and the staff sounds like they know what they're doing.

By happenstance, Hertz had a '16 Silverado come in just before I went to their office to get a rental. Interested to see how it compares over a couple of weeks to the one I own.

Nick M3
10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
That's surprising to me, because I would kind of expect the other guy's insurance company to automatically deny all responsibility, and drag out the decision as long as they can. Maybe they can get into some sort of legal trouble if they're frivolously defensive, for instance in obvious cases where their client rear-ended you while you're waiting at a red light? Dunno.
They are much more likely to do this if you have a liability only policy as they have no subrogation exposure.

clyde
10-06-2016, 03:24 PM
They are much more likely to do this if you have a liability only policy as they have no subrogation exposure.

That's really it. Also remember that it's close to zero sum in the big picture for non-injury and well below max property damage claims where one of the insureds admits fault. The same insurance companies have tons of claims going back and forth. It's much more in their interest to resolve these claims quickly than drag them out when they know they're going to pay anyway.

blee
10-10-2016, 03:35 PM
It almost fucking happened again. This time I was turning left out of a parking lot onto a main road. My light turned green, I started to accelerate, and I saw a kid in a white PT Cruiser blast through the right from left to right. He noticed me just in time to slam on his brakes and screech to a stop about a foot from my bumper. He then looked straight ahead and drove through the intersection. I'd be surprised if he isn't flat-spotted and newly bereft of brake fluid and pad.

Dash cam. :rolleyes:

bren
10-10-2016, 07:31 PM
You might want to wait a couple extra beats before racing away from green lights. :p