PDA

View Full Version : I think my benz is screwed up.

FC
03-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Long story short: Whenever I go over a normal bump the steering wheel vibrates horribly for a couple of seconds and it feels as if the (front-right???) wheel is loose.

I changed the winter tires for the summer tires and the issue remains (although perhaps marginally better-could be my imagination), so it cannot be attributed to an unbalanced wheel.

From visual inspection I can't spot anything. I think the %@#$&@% Montreal roads screwed it up during our Xmass trip up there, and a recent nasty pothole has made it worse. I'm afraid to take it to the dealership and have them tell me I need 32425343562 suspension components replaced.

Anyone have any clues as to where I should look before I take it somewhere? :?

For now I don't trust taking it at high speeds, so our upcomming trip to Canada will have to be in the bimmer. God I hope nothing happens to it. I am afraid it will fall victim to their craters and bend/damage something.

I will likely have to put on the winter tires again just for that trip.

lip277
03-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Get the car up in the air and take the front wheels off. The front subframe rubber might be shot or the control arms or tie rods are loose.

Take a set of channel lock pliers and try to compress the tie rod joints. They shouldn't wiggle or compress at all.

Grab the hub and pull in and out. Also try to shift it up/down & front/back (not rotating it, but just give it a good push/shove in those directions) Also try to 'rotate' it top & bottom in/out to see how that does.

There is (I think) a steering shock that is under the engine. Take one end of it off (just one bolt) and see if it has any resistance to it. It should act as a good snubber to dampen any unwanted steering 'inputs'; ie- Potholes... I installed one on my S class and it really helped quite a bit. Not bad for $20.

Generally, there isn't much to the front end on these cars. Depending on age and condition (not to mention the roads you drive) these components can last forever. My diesel lasted over 300k w/o any work at all. I changed the shocks because I 'thought' I needed to. I could tell no difference after I replaced the Bilsteins.... :? These were on smooth California and Washington roads though....

It all gets down to taking a look and seeing if there is something that is 'wrong'. I do know folks that have had a bunch of effort put into refurbishing their front ends. If you do the work yourself, not to bad. But if you have a shop do it, that can get expensive.

Drop me a line if you get a chance to take a look at it.....

Good luck-

FC
03-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Get the car up in the air and take the front wheels off. The front subframe rubber might be shot or the control arms or tie rods are loose.

Take a set of channel lock pliers and try to compress the tie rod joints. They shouldn't wiggle or compress at all.

Grab the hub and pull in and out. Also try to shift it up/down & front/back (not rotating it, but just give it a good push/shove in those directions) Also try to 'rotate' it top & bottom in/out to see how that does.

There is (I think) a steering shock that is under the engine. Take one end of it off (just one bolt) and see if it has any resistance to it. It should act as a good snubber to dampen any unwanted steering 'inputs'; ie- Potholes... I installed one on my S class and it really helped quite a bit. Not bad for $20.

Generally, there isn't much to the front end on these cars. Depending on age and condition (not to mention the roads you drive) these components can last forever. My diesel lasted over 300k w/o any work at all. I changed the shocks because I 'thought' I needed to. I could tell no difference after I replaced the Bilsteins.... :? These were on smooth California and Washington roads though....

It all gets down to taking a look and seeing if there is something that is 'wrong'. I do know folks that have had a bunch of effort put into refurbishing their front ends. If you do the work yourself, not to bad. But if you have a shop do it, that can get expensive.

Drop me a line if you get a chance to take a look at it.....

Good luck-

Thanks a lot man. :D I'll try those things out. Probably not tonight since I still have a backache from changing tires yesterday. The tierods are only about 2 years old. But I'll check anyway. I know these cars have a very numb on-center steering but it seems excessive recently.

Thanks again.

lip277
03-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey Bud....
Any progress on the sick 'child'?

Just curious.