PDA

View Full Version : front end vibration

zach
01-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I brought the M3 to the shop this morning to have some front end vibration diagnosed.

The verdict: 4 bent rims, 3 of them severely. :mad:

(also, whoever installed the passenger side front control arm bushing did it wrong) :eeps:

ff
01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
You must have some crappy roads there in Boston?

zach
01-07-2008, 09:16 AM
You must have some crappy roads there in Boston?

Yeah, and some crappy driving. I'm not 100% sure the wheels weren't somewhat bent when I acquired (used) several years ago.

clyde
01-07-2008, 09:19 AM
My vette came with 8 wheels. I don't think more than 3 of them are round.

SARAFIL
01-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I brought the M3 to the shop this morning to have some front end vibration diagnosed.

The verdict: 4 bent rims, 3 of them severely. :mad:

(also, whoever installed the passenger side front control arm bushing did it wrong) :eeps:

do the rims/tires hold air? will the car last long enough to drive it to the nearest BMW dealer and trade it in for that 335i that you've been on the fence about? :D

trust me... when they appraise it, they won't drive it far enough or fast enough to notice the bent wheels! ;)

clyde
01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
trust me... when they appraise it, they won't drive it far enough or fast enough to notice the bent wheels! ;)

They'll actually drive it? I can't remember the last time I had a potential trade appraised at a dealer where it was driven further than from the parking lot to the shop area and back. A few times, it's been a walk around in the parking lot, and once (seriously) a glance through the window from the sales floor.

ff
01-07-2008, 10:00 AM
A few times, it's been a walk around in the parking lot, and once (seriously) a glance through the window from the sales floor.

The Lexus dealer that I went through didn't even look at the Armada when I traded it in. He saw how well I took care of the S2000, and just gave me full trade-in value for the Nissan over the phone. He wasn't disappointed when I drove it in later that day.

SARAFIL
01-07-2008, 10:40 AM
They'll actually drive it? I can't remember the last time I had a potential trade appraised at a dealer where it was driven further than from the parking lot to the shop area and back. A few times, it's been a walk around in the parking lot, and once (seriously) a glance through the window from the sales floor.

That's my point... due to the age/mileage, they'll start it to make sure it runs ok, there are no lights on, the clutch works, etc. They'll probably drive it around the parking lot, maybe around the block...

If he is thinking about a new car, might as well make it happen now instead of putting money into wheel repair or new wheels.

ff
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
If he is thinking about a new car, might as well make it happen now instead of putting money into wheel repair or new wheels.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a car salesman? ;) :D

John V
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
do the rims/tires hold air? will the car last long enough to drive it to the nearest BMW dealer and trade it in for that 335i that you've been on the fence about? :D

Why on earth would he trade in his nice, light car for a big overweight pig? :dunno:

:D

SARAFIL
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a car salesman? ;) :D

well, he has been thinking about a new car from what I can tell... and if he does keep the M3 he will have to repair it since I think the serious vibration will drive him crazy... and if he does trade it in, the cost of the wheel repair/replacement won't add to the value, so it would be money lost...

yeah, i know it's a bunch of "what if's"... ;)

zach
01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't think that trade-in values on e36 M3s with 130k miles are very good.

ZBB
01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I think the serious vibration will drive him crazy...

As someone that has a vibration issue on my 530, I can agree that it does drive you crazy. A wheel balance got rid of most of it about 6 months ago, but I still have some vibration that is noticeable starting at about 60-65, and a little worse between 70-75. When wheel balance was done, they also diagnosed the tires being out of round, so that's probably the cause.

It was the main reason I was planning on getting rid of it for a new CTS.

Unfortunately, I just had to spend a little more than expected on an Inspection II and some other unexpected maintenance (bad misfire last week, diagnosed as early spark plug failure). I knew I should have pulled the trigger on the CTS in Nov...

Because of that, I'm going to keep the 530 another year -- and probably replace 2 tires in the next few weeks (the others may be out of round, but their tread life is OK since one was the spare, and the other a new tire last spring).

equ
01-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I think the e36m3 (in good condition) is one of the only cars (if not THE only one) that would work for me in a one-car set-up... No reason to sell I'd say.

If you were in the NYC area, I'd link you to my wheel repair guy. He can do wonders for roughly $100/wheel.

zach
01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I think the e36m3 (in good condition) is one of the only cars (if not THE only one) that would work for me in a one-car set-up... No reason to sell I'd say.

I've had this car for nearly 5 years. I have an itch.

If you were in the NYC area, I'd link you to my wheel repair guy. He can do wonders for roughly $100/wheel.

Thankfully, this is my winter set and not my ltw summer wheels. I think I'll just replace them with something cheap.

Thanks, though.

John V
01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't think that trade-in values on e36 M3s with 130k miles are very good.

What color is it, and how much do you want for it?

:eeps:

zach
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
What color is it, and how much do you want for it?

:eeps:

Silver. I don't know. I see what people are asking for on roadfly (a lot). I also see what KBB says (somewhat over $10k).

I'm not 100% sure I'm even getting rid of it.

John V
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Hm. Well if you do decide at some point to sell let me know. Even though it's silver, I may be interested. ;)

zach
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Hm. Well if you do decide at some point to sell let me know. Even though it's silver, I may be interested. ;)

Will do.