PDA

View Full Version : cars for my wife - first look

Sharp11
01-06-2008, 12:51 AM
I had errands to do today, so I thought I'd scout out some potential vehicles for my wife, who as some of you know, is experiencing severe back issues.

We need something easier on her than her current car (which she really loves) an 05 Outback Wagon.

My goal, before dragging my wife out to the car lots, was to get a general feel for some of the issues on the list Clyde generously supplied - looking at cars in such a "focused" manner was quite illuminating (oy, that hurt, sorry) and, without even a test drive, noticed and considered some things I'd never thought of before.

First up, the Volvo dealer:

Do they want to sell cars? Apparently not, but drinking coffee and yakking it up in the back room seemed popular with the sales force at this particular dealership.

Man did they have cars to sell, cars on top of cars - you'd have thought Volvo dropped its entire year's allocation of north american cars on their lot :eeps:

I wanted to see and open the doors on the new XC70 - while waiting for an administrative person to open up the XC70 out front (she had to interrupt the sales guys drinking coffee) I pored over the XC90 in the showroom. It was nice, but surprisingly small-feeling inside, in a good way, it didn't feel like a big car and it was easy as pie to get into - I noted the wide aperture for the doors and the low door sills, however, down where your ankles slide out, the base of the cowl was far back toward the driver. Not so good. The seats were great.

Ahh, there she is, she's located the remote fob, and off I go to the XC70. The car looks nice, it's a nice update on the old design, sleeker and less awkward.

The doors are nice and light (good), but the leather seats are slippery - I slid in and almost hit the floor :yikes:, but they had one fantastic feature for easy ingress/egress: the side bolsters deformed as you sat on them - forming a completely flat surface. The foam would bound back after getting off the seat. Neat!! The seats were not as comfy as in the XC90, but the slippery leather made rotating to get out a snap.

The rest of the car felt a lot like the Outback, only a wee bit bigger. It did not feel like a 43k car sitting there, the trim felt cheap and cardboard-like with a lot of deformation of the interior panels when pressed - especially the door panels. Still, I'd like to put it on the test drive list.

Onto the Honda dealer:

Right out front before walking in, a Honda Odyssey manager's special, an EXL loaded with all kinds of junk and bling - for 32k. Not bad, but it gets better.

Inside the showroom, they had an EX level Pilot, with everything but a leather interior, including side running boards, it was listed at a "special" price of 29,900. Marked down some 3 or 4 k.

It was really nice, the running boards provided a step, the sills were very low and the seats flat but supportive - once inside, the ergonomics, in typical Honda fashion (and something I'd forgotten) seemed just right - superb even. The thing had nice touches everywhere and the interior materials seemed just right for this class of vehicle; sturdy but nice. It seemed better made than the Volvos, as much as one could tell by examining static vehicles.

Outside, I sat in the minivan - it had the best access of the day, low to the ground, no sill, lots of room, but when I turned around to look behind me, I felt as if I needed to address the class - three rows of seats that go waaaaay back, with arms and fold-down center stacks and seatbelts everywhere - it seemed huge, but the Odyssey gets better mileage than the smaller Pilot, by about 2 to 3 MPG and C&D and CR like its handling - a lot :dunno: (I noted its 55/45 weight distribution - sure, it's the length of the average suburban cul de sac, eventually all that FWD stuff gets mitigated).

Finally, I checked out very carefully, the new CRV. They had a fully equipped EXL with nav model. It was fantastic - again, the roof was nice and high, the door openings wide (and easy to get into with the door partially opened) the seats comfortable (though smaller than the Pilot and Odyssey), it too was available with the running board option. It's the lightest (by far) of the trio and gets the best EPA. It might be a tad underpowered, but a test drive will reveal.

The salesman was peeling thousand-dollar increments off the price of the Pilot and Odyssey (but stopped short of doing so for the CRV) without me even asking about price. He even said this: "I can get you into a brand new Pilot EX for the mid 20's" Whoa......

Honestly, of the three, the Pilot felt right, it's smaller than the van, but larger than the CRV. It has perfect ingress (however, the wife really needs to determine that) and it seemed like it'd be quite nice for trips. It was heavy as sin though (4500lbs) and I'd imagine, expensive to run, but at 25 for a luxurious, well built quality vehicle, it'd be tough to beat.

I learned when I came home, January is "pilot month" at this dealership, since they've got 30 Pilots, all EX's and EXL's, I don;t need to hurry - much more to consider anyway.

Ed

wdc330i
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I wonder if the Acura RDX has anything to offer over the CRV.

And btw, my friends with elderly parents and their own back problems LOVE the Odyssey.

clyde
01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
the slippery leather made rotating to get out a snap.

:thumbup: (Somehow, I forgot to list one)

clyde
01-06-2008, 11:36 AM

And btw, my friends with elderly parents and their own back problems LOVE the Odyssey.

I'd also look at a (slightly used) MDX if a Pilot is in contention.

kognito
01-06-2008, 11:36 AM
just my opinion, but don't running boards add to the twisting, contortionist like movements that are required to get into the higher seats??

Here is some data that leads me to this opinion. I am pretty tall, and have had back problems in the past. I have owned a few vehicles that my wife "had to have" running boards to get in, but I didn't use them (most of the time) With the cab height of my current F550, I now have to use the running boards every time I get into the truck.

Luckily for me, many of my back problems have left me due to much reduced stress in my life, but if my back were to go "out" I don't think I would be able to get into my truck.

We are also looking at a CRX. We are thinking about buying it as a "chase" vehicle on the highway, and for running around town when we are in one area for a while. I get about 9-10 mpg when towing our rig, but the mpg's only go up to 12-13 when not towing. (thanks to the 4.88 gears) We are also looking at a TDI Jetta tomorrow.

Sharp11
01-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Elderly!! We're not there yet....:lol:....:eeps:

More power, better handling and a turbo on the RDX, but that sucks mileage. As much as I'd like a sportier drive, an Odyssey has the same if not better gas mileage (depends on whom you believe on the various forums). Also, several road tests reveal a harsh ride, that would be a BIG problem under the circumstances. Still, I'd like to drive one.

Ed

Sharp11
01-06-2008, 01:32 PM
just my opinion, but don't running boards add to the twisting, contortionist like movements that are required to get into the higher seats??

That's a good point. My wife is about 5 foot 6, so my hope is she can step on the board and sit right down ......if that doesn't work, my fear is the Pilot will be too high off the ground.

Ed

SARAFIL
01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
One of my co-workers has 4 kids and therefore needs a large vehicle to move them all around. He has been driving a '05 Pathfinder that he leased 3 years ago, and just picked up a '08 Odyssey as a replacement. He was looking at '07's to get a "deal" (apparently some trunk money and low financing rates), but he just ended up paying a bit more for a 2008 because he could not get what he wanted in any of the 2007s that were left... there were only a few colors that he liked and he wanted Nav and RES. I'm a big fan of this vehicle for someone that needs it. I'm impressed with how it drives for a vehicle of that size, it has lots of room inside and nice fit and finish.

If you don't need the Nav and RES, you can probably get a really good deal if you find a left-over 2007, but you can also get an aggressive discount on a 2008 if you need to go that way.

Aerials
01-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Wouldn't a smaller car better suit her needs?

I would think driving a SUV would not help with her back pain.

My mom who has 2 slipped disc and a pinched nerve in her back has a hard time driving the touring.:dunno:

ff
01-06-2008, 04:13 PM

I believe that just the opposite would be true. Smaller cars tend to ride more harshly than a big ol' floating boat SUV.

If it was me, I'd be mostly concerned with the seats. Getting the proper support and having the right amount cushion firmness can make all the difference in the world.

clyde
01-06-2008, 04:28 PM

My mom who has 2 slipped disc and a pinched nerve in her back has a hard time driving the touring.:dunno:
In my case (pinched nerve at L5) the Armada has been vastly preferable to the E46 Touring on the worst days for ingress, egress, driving and riding in. When it's "not too bad" or better, it's not really a factor at all for more than an instant here and there.

Aerials
01-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I believe that just the opposite would be true. Smaller cars tend to ride more harshly than a big ol' floating boat SUV.

If it was me, I'd be mostly concerned with the seats. Getting the proper support and having the right amount cushion firmness can make all the difference in the world.

In my case (pinched nerve at L5) the Armada has been vastly preferable to the E46 Touring on the worst days for ingress, egress, driving and riding in. When it's "not too bad" or better, it's not really a factor at all for more than an instant here and there.

Yes, an SUV would ride smoother, but I'm talking in the case to having to use more of your neck to check your blind spot. She has no problem driving the e30 because it's such a small car, but she chooses the comfort of the e46. She feels more of a smooth ride in the e46, but has the problem with turning her neck. That's why I would think a SUV would be worse.

My mom has the same. It's killer on her. And because she is a diabetic, she is limited to her pain medication. :(

wdc330i
01-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Ed

Of course not! (I think we're the same age).

Isn't there some rumor that Honda will introduce some diesels? I'd think the Odyssey and Pilot would be frontrunners for the engine. If you and your wife can wait....

RMR
01-06-2008, 09:22 PM

More power, better handling and a turbo on the RDX, but that sucks mileage. As much as I'd like a sportier drive, an Odyssey has the same if not better gas mileage (depends on whom you believe on the various forums). Also, several road tests reveal a harsh ride, that would be a BIG problem under the circumstances. Still, I'd like to drive one.

Ed

The RDX has good braking and great handling with none of the underpowered issues of the CR-V. The mpg we see in the city is about 18 to 19mpg and we get about 24-25mpg or so on the hwy. Not as good as our old '05 CRV. However to us it's worth it because the '05 CR-V was so underpowered on the highway at 75 mph that it was very hard to pass other vehicles at those speeds.

Suprisingly, the RDX has alot of cargo room for its size.

lemming
01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Ed:

all new Forester.

have you seen it?

make it will have better entry/exit angles for seating.

i just got an email about it from Subaru.

Sharp11
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Ed:

all new Forester.

have you seen it?

make it will have better entry/exit angles for seating.

i just got an email about it from Subaru.

Hey thanks man, I did see a pic of it just last night, Subaru really aped the X3, but who cares if it drives well and hits the right points. Question is, when will it be on the road?

We'll also be giving the newly re-blanded Tribeca a look.

Ed

Sharp11
01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
The RDX has good braking and great handling with none of the underpowered issues of the CR-V. The mpg we see in the city is about 18 to 19mpg and we get about 24-25mpg or so on the hwy. Not as good as our old '05 CRV. However to us it's worth it because the '05 CR-V was so underpowered on the highway at 75 mph that it was very hard to pass other vehicles at those speeds.

Suprisingly, the RDX has alot of cargo room for its size.

Some reviews report a harsh ride - is that relative or is it as bad as they say?

In other words, does it ride relatively the same as my ZHP (which some folks might find rough, but my wife likes just fine)?

Also, do you need to duck under the swoopy a pillar, or can you slide right in (I can't recall from my little in and out try out)?

Thanks for the input

Ed

lemming
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
(Z)eddie: the email i got says spring 08.

and they're pretty good about rolling out things on time. it's one of their core vehicles, so i bet they launch it on time/ahead of schedule.

be interesting to see it now that it'll be on the legacy chassis so it's multilink in the back likely a better ride for sure.

RMR
01-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Some reviews report a harsh ride - is that relative or is it as bad as they say?

In other words, does it ride relatively the same as my ZHP (which some folks might find rough, but my wife likes just fine)?

Also, do you need to duck under the swoopy a pillar, or can you slide right in (I can't recall from my little in and out try out)?

Thanks for the input

Ed

Ed,

The ride is a bit equivalent to my 330Ci (non ZHP). A characteristic that my wife and I like very much. In relation to our old '05 CR-V it is stiff and I think many of the reviews call it a harsh ride because most CUVs have cushy rides. The RDX handles very well.

I've never had to duck under the A Pillars when I get in. I am 5'-11" and have no problems. The roofline is quite high and the RDX offers alot of interior storage and cargo room for it's size.

I highly recommend driving one. If you and your wife prefer a more sporty alternative and a great handling cuv with a good deal of cargo space for the size, the RDX is worth a test drive. I will mention the turbo lag a bit. It's not pronounced as in some other turbos I've driven, but it does tend to show itself in EXTREMELY heavy traffic situations of stop and go. We live in the chicago city limits (2 miles north of the Downtown Loop) so the traffic is very bad (I-90/94). It may not be an issue in CT where traffic is not as congested and you are not on the throttle/off the throttle/brake in those situations.

Plus, the optional Technology Package gets you one hell of a sound system.

If you drive one post a review here. I'd like to see what you think of it.

lemming
01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Ed:

new driving impressions:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124405?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

dunno when dealers will have 'em, though.

Sharp11
01-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Ed:

new driving impressions:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124405?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

dunno when dealers will have 'em, though.

Thanks Lem,

I showed my wife a pic of the new Forester and her comment was something to the effect of it being one of the homeliest cars she'd ever seen - so that's out.

We're narrowing it down - thus far in order of interest, high to low: Current model MDX (which has a telescoping wheel) or prior generation (which does not:( ); Lexus RX330 or 350 (or a hybrid of the price is right); RDX (we haven't tried one yet); Pilot (no telescoping wheel either); X3 (07 or 08) or prior generation X5 3.0

I'd also like to see a new Highlander close up.

Plaz
01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I showed my wife a pic of the new Forester and her comment was something to the effect of it being one of the homeliest cars she'd ever seen

I tend to agree.

lemming
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
I tend to agree.

i'm useless to you because, on the one hand, i own an FX35 --but on the other, i find the new Forester really appealing because it sits on a brilliant chassis and only gained SIXTY POUNDS (how many other cars can say that moving into its new generation?) and it's still under the radar. which means safety from laser guns that an X3, FX or MDX would easily garner from Mass Staties.

Plaz
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
i find the new Forester really appealing because it sits on a brilliant chassis and only gained SIXTY POUNDS (how many other cars can say that moving into its new generation?) and it's still under the radar. which means safety from laser guns that an X3, FX or MDX would easily garner from Mass Staties.

That's probably very true.

On the other hand, I think the FX looks really nice for what it is, unlike the Scooby, X3, or MDX. (Although the X3 and MDX are probably just boring, not really ugly.)

lupinsea
01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Forester really appealing because it sits on a brilliant chassis and only gained SIXTY POUNDS (how many other cars can say that moving into its new generation?)
The Miata only gained 22 lb. going from gen 2 to gen 3. :eeps:

Not that this helps Ed in the least.

Plaz
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I think the MCS lost a few lbs. from R53 to R56.

Sharp11
01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
The Miata only gained 22 lb. going from gen 2 to gen 3. :eeps:

Not that this helps Ed in the least.

I think I personally gained about 22lbs going from one generation to the next :)

Ed

Sharp11
01-21-2008, 11:41 PM
That's probably very true.

On the other hand, I think the FX looks really nice for what it is, unlike the Scooby, X3, or MDX. (Although the X3 and MDX are probably just boring, not really ugly.)

I've resigned myself to the fact that all of these cars (suvs) are too heavy to drive really nicely (i.e., sporty) are going to suck at gas mileage (unless we can find an RX400h cheap) and are, to put it nicely, ungainly in the looks department.

So....as long as we get something that's really comfy and my wife can get in and out of, I''ll be ok - it's sad to think there'll be no more long trips in the BMW :(

Ed

lemming
01-22-2008, 07:17 AM
ed:

first: that was a good one. LOL

second: did you look at that "suv of the year" the mazda cx7 or cx9? those look cool.

Sharp11
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
ed:

first: that was a good one. LOL

second: did you look at that "suv of the year" the mazda cx7 or cx9? those look cool.

Our friends bought a CX9 and I did take a gander at the CX7.

The CX7 was a base model - it had the most horrid interior I've seen outside a Chrysler product - the hardest plastics, the crummiest seat fabrics. It was a base model, but it made me sick.

The CX9 is one of those "what's the point" vehicles for me - it's as large and heavy as a mini van, but it's less useful in terms of utility. It's a huge step up in terms of finish and materials over a CX7, though.

I haven't driven either.

Ed

Sharp11
01-23-2008, 11:43 PM
My wife's MRI came back conclusively: she's got a herniated disk between L4 and L5.

:(

New car search continues alongside treatment options.....

Ed