PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car - Audi A1 1.2 TFSI

Biggins
08-17-2016, 08:22 AM
I was expecting a diesel Focus-sized hatchback for my recent vacation on the other side of the pond, but apparently a gas Audi A1 is what they had for me. It was still big enough for what we needed and an Audi not available in the US, so :dunno: I did not know much about these cars, but they look pretty good for a tiny hatchback. The version I got had the 1.2L and 5 speed. By the end, I really wished it were a 6-speed and diesel.

The best thing about the car was that it fit everywhere! It fit into picnic table sized "spots" anywhere I wanted it. In the cities and village roads, the car was pretty awesome. I'd always be changing a gear and could floor it everywhere and still be way under any "speed limit." On the highway, it was a terrible car. The acceleration was worse than our 99 CR-V and without a sixth gear and cruise control, it was not fun. The country roads are most of the driving we did, and the car was only okay. I doubt the car had 100hp and even less torque because it needed constant downshifts to 2nd and even 1st to get up big hills while flooring it. It handled pretty good, but the steering was not that great. The interior fit and finish was rental-spec but actually decent except for the wiper/signal stalks.

If this car were sold in the USA, it would have to have more power. I drive slow cars, but this thing was 90s base Civic/Corolla slow. I might have had a different opinion if I got a diesel version of this car, but I have definitely had worse rental cars!

I also briefly drove the rental car that another one in our group had which was an automatic Skoda Rapid. That car was painful to drive and a POS, and I could not get back in the A1 quick enough.

Nick M3
08-17-2016, 08:43 AM
85 horsepower!

Still faster than the Fiat we rented. :)

Jeff_DML
08-17-2016, 10:44 AM
85 horsepower!

Still faster than the Fiat we rented. :)

Was going to say it sounds like the fiat panda I just recently rented:D

JST
08-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Yeah, the Opel Corsa I had in Ireland was about like that. I think it was a N/A 1.4L? We forget how slow cars really can be over here. We're spoiled.

equ
08-17-2016, 05:12 PM
I rented a new generation Fiat Aegea/Tipo. It had a 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed, 120hp. While the hp was sorta close to our TDI (136 or 140), the torque was lower and the car felt dramatically slower (yay for cheating!). That said, it was a great rental. I was lucky enough to have the full spec version, nice leather steering wheel, driver's lumbar, auto lights, rear camera etc.
- Light machine, about 1270kg
- 43mpg with hard driving (lotsa city or 65 to 90mph highway), hills.

Fiat have come a long way. Felt much better than comparable Renault or cheap Peugeots.