PDA

View Full Version : anybody install new shocks on their e46?

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
how difficult is it? I swapped out the struts in my wrx and besides loosening the bolts it wasnt that hard. I just borrowed a spring compressor from my cousin(planning on doing some work on my wrx too), but havent swapped spring before.

for the bimmer thinking maybe just the standard bilsteins shocks and resuse the stock bmw sport springs? or you guys recommend something else? springs nowadays still sag or they will be still good, 5 years 85k miles on them. I like the current ride height so dont think I want to go any lower.

TIA

Nick M3
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Super easy. Rears can be done with the car on ramps. Fronts require a spring compressor.

Stay AWAY from BMW Bilsteins. The ride with Bilsteins is worse than most coilovers. Without the handling. Go either OEM replacement, or Konis.

JST
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Super easy. Rears can be done with the car on ramps. Fronts require a spring compressor.

Stay AWAY from BMW Bilsteins. The ride with Bilsteins is worse than most coilovers. Without the handling. Go either OEM replacement, or Konis.

The rears can be done on ramps? How?

EDIT:

Oh, we are talking about shocks, not springs.

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 12:45 PM
wow, thought people always love them

isnt there 2 types of bilsteins, they both suck? not talking about the psuedo active suspension ones, HD and normal or something

konis are only insert right?

thanks

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
zsavant think you are right(not sure why you deleted your response). Keep thinking of my wrx and its 4 wheel struts, bimmer is only struts on the front right?

zach
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
zsavant think you are right(not sure why you deleted your response). Keep thinking of my wrx and its 4 wheel struts, bimmer is only struts on the front right?

Ha. I wasn't sure it was the same for e46s. Mine is an e36.

bren
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Koni FSD.

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Koni FSD.

ah, that is what I was thinking about, not made by biltstein. thanks

Or you recommending them?

FC
12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Koni FSD.

That is what I plan on going with when mine really are shot (if not already and I just don't notice it).

Nick M3
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Bilstein Touring is probably OK. Bilstein HD/Sport are valved the same and awful.

Koni FSD is an excellent choice for a street car.

bren
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Or you recommending them?

That's what I would buy without a doubt.

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 04:45 PM
thanks guys, how about springs, just resuse the oem sport springs?

zach
12-12-2007, 05:12 PM

When I did my Konis, we put in H&R OE Sport springs. They don't lower the car significantly like the H&R Sports, but have the same spring rates (I think).

As long as you have everything apart, you might as well do the springs.

rumatt
12-12-2007, 05:15 PM

What's your goal?

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
return it back to OEM like ride/handling.

bren
12-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the OE springs.

Having said that, I'd probably go with the kit from TireRack that includes the FSD dampers and Eibach springs. The Eibach springs would give you a little drop though (on the M3 it's no more than an inch, not sure about the other models.)

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
this, so the shock relabeled konis?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=Eibach&model=Pro-System+Kit&group=Pro-System+Kit&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=325iT+Wagon&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=&partNum=2067.780&perfCode=S

bren
12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
This: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=Koni&model=FSD+Damper+Set+%26+Springs&group=FSD+Damper+Set+%26+Springs&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=330Ci+Coupe&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=&partNum=2150-4006&perfCode=S

Not sure why it doesn't show up for the wagon...I didn't think they were any different? :dunno:

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
hmm...didnt think the setup was different but maybe the rear setup is different in the wagon for load carrying?:dunno: I know it doesn't have any auto leveling crap like the 5 series wagon. Rear springs are probably a different rate at least compared to the coupe/sedan.

Jeff_DML
12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
looks like eibach kit are not inserts for the front which is nice

Nick M3
12-12-2007, 09:15 PM
looks like eibach kit are not inserts for the front which is nice
There are no inserts used in the E46. All of them are complete strut assemblies.

Nick M3
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
hmm...didnt think the setup was different but maybe the rear setup is different in the wagon for load carrying?:dunno: I know it doesn't have any auto leveling crap like the 5 series wagon. Rear springs are probably a different rate at least compared to the coupe/sedan.
Spring rates might be a bit different. Access to the top f the shock towers is also a real PITA since you have to take apart the interior. Look up the interior on realoem and buy spare clips. :p You'll need them.

Aerials
12-13-2007, 01:31 AM
How do you know when it is time to change the springs/shocks??

Terri Kennedy
12-13-2007, 02:27 AM
Spring rates might be a bit different. Access to the top f the shock towers is also a real PITA since you have to take apart the interior. Look up the interior on realoem and buy spare clips. :p You'll need them.

Get one of the aftermarket RSM kits that is stronger and lets you do subsequent swaps without taking apart the interior. My photo blog of the job is here (http://www.tmk.com/shocks_brakes/).

Jeff_DML
12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
terry, nice looking wagon, good taste in exterior color;)

dont know for sure, car seems "floaty" nowadays if that makes sense, not as button downed as I remeber it. So I am thinking the shocks are not doing their job as well anymore, more just sitting on the springs:dunno:

bren
12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
How do you know when it is time to change the springs/shocks??

It's pretty much just a "feel" thing - unless of course they are leaking. Shocks typically degrade slowly so most people don't even notice it.

Pinecone
12-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Last I checked the best RSMs are the Rogue Engineering ones.

We have the Bilsteins on the Roadster with H&R Sport Springs. The ride is NOT OEM like, but the handling is pretty good.

I put SA Konis on the M3 at first, with stock springs, and it was nice. As for when are shocks needed, on a E46 M3 by about 12 - 15K miles. On non-Ms, I would still say if you have 85K they are shot.

If you want a super street and track setup, the TC Kline is great. :)

Sharp11
12-13-2007, 03:44 PM
If you search Koni FSD over at Bimmerfest, you'll read a pretty good review one member put up after installing them on his E46.

Ed

Terri Kennedy
12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
terry, nice looking wagon, good taste in exterior color;)

Thanks! More at http://www.tmk.com/bmw

Remember that a lot of the suggestions in this thread aren't available for the wagon. Even fewer if it is an AWD wagon.