PDA

View Full Version : Boxster luggage capacity

zach
07-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Boxster folks:

My friend is thinking of renting a Boxster during an upcoming trip to the Bay Area with his wife. He's a little concerned about how much luggage the car can hold in the trunks. Will two normal roll-aboard carry on suitcases fit?

I googled around a bit on this but figured I might as well ask here as well.

Thanks in advance!

John V
07-25-2016, 10:45 AM
The answer is it depends.

My rolling carry-on fits in the front trunk with the long dimension aligned with the front axle, but stood on its side (i.e. not laying flat). It will also fit standing up, but only if it's at the rear of the compartment. It will also fit in the rear trunk, laying flat. So that would indicate "yes."

However, my rolling carry-on is smaller than most, because it's designed to fit in the overhead bins of all the major airlines. some of the ones I see people bring on planes don't fit (they tend to be too long) so they need to be turned sideways. People who bring those bags on board are what we refer to as "assholes." if your friend is an asshole, his carry-on will not fit in the Boxster. :)

JST
07-25-2016, 11:49 AM
The answer is it depends.

My rolling carry-on fits in the front trunk with the long dimension aligned with the front axle, but stood on its side (i.e. not laying flat). It will also fit standing up, but only if it's at the rear of the compartment. It will also fit in the rear trunk, laying flat. So that would indicate "yes."

However, my rolling carry-on is smaller than most, because it's designed to fit in the overhead bins of all the major airlines. some of the ones I see people bring on planes don't fit (they tend to be too long) so they need to be turned sideways. People who bring those bags on board are what we refer to as "assholes." if your friend is an asshole, his carry-on will not fit in the Boxster. :)

What JV said, though it's also worth noting that a 981 might offer slightly different luggage carrying capability than a 987.

A search of "981 luggage" on google images brings up some reassuring pics, and here is a post that gives the dimensions of the frunk:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/79879-luggage-compartment-dimensions.html

equ
07-25-2016, 01:05 PM
We can easily do long-weekend or longer trips in the Boxster, with beach umbrellas even... But, some boxy/hard luggage may have issues. Multiple soft smaller pieces would be safer.

zach
07-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys. This is helpful.