PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else intrigued by the charger scat pack?

robg
07-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I've never really been a fan of muscle cars (or most American cars for that matter). The first few iterations of the LX charger never really appealed to me-- too cartoonish, cheap looking and blocky. But the current version (2015+) has really grown on me after seeing a few around (especailly in SRT guise) .

The terribly named "scat pack", brings the more aggressive SRT fascia, 6.4 liter V8, bilstein sport suspension and 4 pot brembo brakes to the equation for around 40k (46k loaded). After seeing one in person and watching a bunch of reviews i have this almost inexplicable desire for one. I think it looks really good (in the right colors), love the forged aluminum wheels and the sound is amazing. Seems to get some very good reviews from various sources. Kind of blows my mind that they're selling it for mid-range 328i money.

Yeah, it's huge and automatic only but it just seems like a lot of fun. The interior is also kind of nice now in a high-end pickup truck sort of way. In some ways, i'd say its actually similar in quality to the current 3 and 5 series. The exterior fit/finish seems on par now as well. And you can get pretty much all of the German sedan tech features. The touch screen appears to give you way more flexibilty in configuring the various systems in the car as well (you can even turn on/off the autodim feature on the mirrors for example). The steering ratio and turning radius are surprisingly good (much better than standard 5 series or A6) meaning that its more manuevarable than its large size would suggest. And with cylinder deactivation, it gets better highway mileage than the v8 germans.

Intellectually, I understand that the Chevy SS is the better car in this class (and the only one with a manual) but it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way.

The only real downsides I can see are: parking it, the redneck image, and probably the insurance cost. I'd probably feel ridiculous driving it. I'm guessing that another possible downside is that a 3 or 5 series (even a 550) is likely cheaper to lease. Still might be fun to try for a few years and atleast get it out of my system. My wife had a horrified look on her face when I shared this with her. :)

Anyone else share this affliction? Kind of a guiity pleasure.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w668/BayAreaBullies/116_zpsqe4wgphf.jpg

Jeff_DML
07-04-2016, 12:39 PM
if you have a scratch then itch it:)

rumatt
07-04-2016, 12:47 PM
"scat pack"
if you have a scratch then itch it:)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/be/dd/80/bedd80fb829c4168643aa34050c0d562.jpg

Plaz
07-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Scratch and sniff?

:lol:

robg
07-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Lol..fortunately I don't think the term "scat pack" actually appears on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bren
07-04-2016, 01:37 PM
It's rwd and makes lots of power, hard not to respect that.

Though, personally I'd rather have an srt8 jeep if I'm driving a big lumbering car.

clyde
07-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Yes. It's definitely a car worth considering in that class. I don't see anything wrong with choosing one, either.

robg
07-04-2016, 02:11 PM
It's rwd and makes lots of power, hard not to respect that.

Though, personally I'd rather have an srt8 jeep if I'm driving a big lumbering car.

Thing is the charger has more room than an srt8 Jeep and isn't as lumbering as its size suggests. Plus I just like the look of it much better than the jeep.

Plaz
07-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Lol..fortunately I don't think the term "scat pack" actually appears on the car.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/br7qn4cdtagnfwyvih5s.JPG

Looks very removable.

JST
07-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Chevy SS. Buy a Chevy SS.

In sum: Chevy SS.

JST
07-04-2016, 02:38 PM
It only doesn't appeal to you because you haven't driven it.

robg
07-04-2016, 02:58 PM
It only doesn't appeal to you because you haven't driven it.

Ha- yeah I definitely want to test drive an SS as well. Would be stupid not to.

I meant that the overall look of the charger is more appealing to me.

I should also have explained that this car is only appealing if I could score a lease on one in the 400s. Above that I quickly lose interest. I suspect the Chevy is significantly more expensive to lease. Don't know that I'd really want to commit to longer term ownership of either.

robg
07-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Looks very removable.

Yuck - that would definitley have to go. Worst case, I'm guessing a grill from the SRT would fit and is probably not too expesnive. (love how I'm talking about these details like I'm really going to get this car).

Alan
07-05-2016, 09:56 AM
I saw a new charger on the road the other day, the exhaust sounded awesome, totally bad ass car plus I really like the looks especially that nose.

bren
07-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Thing is the charger has more room than an srt8 Jeep and isn't as lumbering as its size suggests. Plus I just like the look of it much better than the jeep.

That depends on how you define/need space. A trunk is no replacement for a wagon style hatch area.

I'm just not a sedan (land barge) guy. I guess I'm not old enough yet. :D

JST
07-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Ha- yeah I definitely want to test drive an SS as well. Would be stupid not to.

I meant that the overall look of the charger is more appealing to me.

I should also have explained that this car is only appealing if I could score a lease on one in the 400s. Above that I quickly lose interest. I suspect the Chevy is significantly more expensive to lease. Don't know that I'd really want to commit to longer term ownership of either.

The Chevy doesn't sell particularly quickly, but if you look at retained values on G8s and 90s Impalas, they are impressively high. I don't know how they lease, but I would buy one without hesitation and be pretty confident that I could resell in a few years at a nice residual. EDIT: Especially with a stick.

I agree that the Charger is more impressive in the looks department.

I've not driven a Charger SRT or Scat Pack or whatever, but I had a long-term rental V6 a few years ago. It was a nice enough car, in a "big American boat" kind of way, but the SS is really in a different league. It feels, for lack of a better word, European. The Charger emphatically does not.

For me, the stick v. no-stick issue makes the choice very easy, but I think I'd get the SS even if I were to lose a leg and have to drive an auto.

robg
07-05-2016, 01:01 PM
The Chevy doesn't sell particularly quickly, but if you look at retained values on G8s and 90s Impalas, they are impressively high. I don't know how they lease, but I would buy one without hesitation and be pretty confident that I could resell in a few years at a nice residual. EDIT: Especially with a stick.

I agree that the Charger is more impressive in the looks department.

I've not driven a Charger SRT or Scat Pack or whatever, but I had a long-term rental V6 a few years ago. It was a nice enough car, in a "big American boat" kind of way, but the SS is really in a different league. It feels, for lack of a better word, European. The Charger emphatically does not.

For me, the stick v. no-stick issue makes the choice very easy, but I think I'd get the SS even if I were to lose a leg and have to drive an auto.

You're probably right about the SS retaining its value. If I could get a stick (wife is diehard automatic only) it'd be on the top of my list. Since I'm stuck with automatics I'm thinking the Chargers "over the top" nature would add some fun. The exhaust sound alone is great. If I'm going to try the American muscle experience I might as well go all the way right?

I also had a v6 charger rental a few years ago and it did feel like a boat. From what I gather the better suspension, seats, steering, brakes and engines in the upper level models really transform the car. Plus, the facelift in 15 improved the looks and quality overall. If it does end up feeling as boaty as my v6 rental, however, then no amount of v8 goodness is going to make up for that. Plus my current f10 is already pushing the boundaries of "too big" for my taste so the extra 3 inches of width and 6" of length might be too much.

John V
07-05-2016, 02:13 PM
The Charger is a big car that manages to drive even bigger than it is.

I haven't driven an SS, but I'm told that it drives smaller than it is... and that it offers a more entertaining driving experience than any big sedan BMW has made in more than ten years. By people who don't like American cars. That says a lot to me about which one I'd pick, even with an auto.

clyde
07-05-2016, 06:22 PM
I still kick myself for not buying a G8 GXP. Could have had four years and 50k of driving with nearly negligible depreciation. Before Pontiac got the axe, they were going for mid/high thirties new. Once people realized Pontiac was going away and it was truly awesome car, the lasted of them went for 40ish. Four years later, the used ones with normal miles were still going for low/mid thirties.

Sharp11
07-09-2016, 11:57 AM
The "scat pack" name has a rich history along with the "super bee" (which I always thought was a brilliant given the origins of the name) - I think it's cool to see them bring them back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Super_Bee