PDA

View Full Version : Valentine 1

jpgurl
06-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Valentine 1 radar detector for sale. Lightly used. Don't really use it much anymore.

Anyone interested? Make me an offer. :D

rumatt
06-27-2016, 06:25 PM
When was it purchased? Didn't the technology keep changing over the years?

Jeff_DML
06-27-2016, 06:31 PM
I am interested
Edit: yeah guess offer is based on age/version.

rumatt
06-27-2016, 06:44 PM
Watch out sukka, I'm gonna bid you up!

OK not really. But if no one wants it I might buy it.

bren
06-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Can't you send them back for updating? I keep meaning to look into it.

Mine has gone goofy and the F&R arrows are alerting backwards.

rumatt
06-27-2016, 07:03 PM
I think you can, but if I am correctly recalling what I may or may have actually read years ago it's on the expensive side.

clyde
06-27-2016, 08:47 PM
FWIW, my Passport 9500ix saved me twice on the way to Toledo a couple weeks ago. If I'd relied solely on Waze and my eyeballs, I would have been nailed if I was driving fast enough (which I probably wasn't).

rumatt
06-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Yeah I was wondering... Why do you need a radar detector anyway. Don't you always drive the speed limit? :p

clyde
06-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Yeah I was wondering... Why do you need a radar detector anyway. Don't you always drive the speed limit? :p

More than anything else, it makes it easier to not space speed cameras around here.

Jeff_DML
06-28-2016, 12:48 AM
I signed up for this

https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/?mobileoverride=true&source=bmw_em_nat_mtrackdays_confirm&origin=bmw_em_nat_mtrackdays_confirm

For Tuesday at 8am so want a radar detector for my early drive over the mountains in the turbo:banana:

ZBB
06-28-2016, 07:57 AM
I signed up for this

https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/?mobileoverride=true&source=bmw_em_nat_mtrackdays_confirm&origin=bmw_em_nat_mtrackdays_confirm

For Tuesday at 8am so want a radar detector for my early drive over the mountains in the turbo:banana:

Which tues? 20th or 27th.

May be worth meeting up!

Edit: I figured I'd go sign up for one of the days anyway… But I think something's wrong with BMW's site -- whenever I select a date, I "processing" box pops up with a status bar at 50% and doesn't proceed. If click someplace else on it, that goes away and I can fill in the rest of the form -- but a) it doesn't give an option for the AM or PM session, and b) after submitting, it just gives a blank page -- no confirmation. Did that happen to you?

Jeff_DML
06-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Which tues? 20th or 27th.

May be worth meeting up!

Edit: I figured I'd go sign up for one of the days anyway… But I think something's wrong with BMW's site -- whenever I select a date, I "processing" box pops up with a status bar at 50% and doesn't proceed. If click someplace else on it, that goes away and I can fill in the rest of the form -- but a) it doesn't give an option for the AM or PM session, and b) after submitting, it just gives a blank page -- no confirmation. Did that happen to you?

27th but I am pretty sure all days are full since the event is free.

jpgurl
06-28-2016, 03:13 PM
I am interested
Edit: yeah guess offer is based on age/version.

Sorry for the delay! uh, age = ~2013? Let me look closer when I get home. How the heck would I determine version? Is there a serial number range or something?

wait... there is: http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/

I'll check when I get home.

ZBB
06-28-2016, 03:51 PM
27th but I am pretty sure all days are full since the event is free.

Would be nice if it actually told you that, vs just not working...

jpgurl
06-28-2016, 11:32 PM
Sorry for the delay! uh, age = ~2013? Let me look closer when I get home. How the heck would I determine version? Is there a serial number range or something?

wait... there is: http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/

I'll check when I get home.

Serial no. 7933911069

But that link actually doesn't tell me much :dunno:

Terri Kennedy
06-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Serial no. 7933911069

But that link actually doesn't tell me much :dunno:
Looks like the only things you get for your $289 (if you don't care about using new-style accessories) are:

Traffic Monitor Filter, created to eliminate false alarms caused by SpeedInfo, a traffic-flow monitoring system that sends frequent K-band radar bursts into the traffic stream.

Junk-K Fighter blocks false alarms caused by K-band lane-change warning systems in some newer cars.

Seems like Valentine is getting greedy - the upgrade from your version to the latest claims to be a software-only update, but they want to replace the unit with a new-production unit. If it were me, I'd say "I'll wait for the slow boat - just update the firmware for $50".

rumatt
06-30-2016, 08:46 PM
At one point I recall people saying it was a better deal to sell it on eBay and buy a new one.

Mine is like 12 years old and still works pretty well. I'm not touching it. * Knock on wood *

jpgurl
06-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Sold. Thanks Jeff! :thumbup: