PDA

View Full Version : Rear trailing arm bushings - A DIY job?

TD
02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Is this DIYable? I'm quite sure mine are shot and want to replace them. Should I even bother contemplating doing them myself? Is there a DIY anyone is aware of out there somewhere?

JST
02-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Is this DIYable? I'm quite sure mine are shot and want to replace them. Should I even bother contemplating doing them myself? Is there a DIY anyone is aware of out there somewhere?

I have seen DIYs. The biggest problem is getting the RTABs out of the trailing arms. I've seen people use pullers, and seen people use Saws-Alls.

Do a search over on bimmerforums--I think that's where I saw the info, back in the day.

TD
02-27-2004, 11:44 AM
I just read a DIY at RE's site. Definitely not looking like a DIY.

So I got an appointment for Wed to have them replaced.

The parts guy at VOB thinks it might be the lower control arms not the RTABs. But, as EVERYONE claims that the RTABS should be shot by now, I have to assume mine are shot as well.

blee
02-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Speaking from recent personal experience, it is on the difficult side to remove bushings like that from their brackets. The installation process can be even more trying. If you don't want to risk having your car undrivable for a period of time, then taking to a shop is wise.

Rob
02-27-2004, 12:46 PM
It seems like lots of people at Bimmerforums have done it themselves. I am sort of afraid of doing suspension stuff myself though. If you do decide to give it a try, I have this link laying around for a tool to pull the bushings out:

http://www.victoryproductdesign.com./suspension_main.htm

You might have to click on tools and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Doug
02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I have some info on this at home I'll post tonight or tomorrow. We did 4 in a day not long ago.

You definately need to spend the $$ on a good tool, the Victory one is kinda cheap

TD
02-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Under Rogue's tech tips- http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RE&Category_Code=RTAB

The HACK
02-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Speaking from recent personal experience, it is on the difficult side to remove bushings like that from their brackets. The installation process can be even more trying. If you don't want to risk having your car undrivable for a period of time, then taking to a shop is wise.

I dunno how risky it is. If you can't get the bushing out, then you can just bolt everything back on and still be able to drive the car.

The issue would be to put the bushing BACK IN. If you're getting rubber replacement bushings, be sure to put some soapy water on it for lubrication and let the car sit 24 hours for the soapy water to dry off. If you're using URETHANE bushings, just make sure you get the right tools since there'll be NO tolerance between the bracket and the bushing.

I'm actually going to get it done this weekend or early next week, but I'm having a shop (Imad at EuropeanMotorWerks in Arcadia) do the work because he's got all the tools. Eventually I may invest in the tools so the SCTS Tribe may DIY this procedure as well.