PDA

View Full Version : So Virginia wants me to get an emissions test

JST
05-10-2016, 10:33 AM
In order to renew the registration on the Tesla, the VA DMV is insisting that I get an emissions test.

I am literally not sure how to do that.

JST
05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
In order to renew the registration on the Tesla, the VA DMV is insisting that I get an emissions test.

I am literally not sure how to do that.

Ok, so I called, and it turns out they didn't have it listed as electric. They were probably thinking it was one of the gas cars that Tesla builds.

bren
05-10-2016, 10:46 AM
I thought they had it listed as a Duesenberg or something? Wasn't that you?

JST
05-10-2016, 10:48 AM
I thought they had it listed as a Duesenberg or something? Wasn't that you?

That's the safety inspection. Totally different database, of course.

And it was a Studebaker.

JST
05-10-2016, 10:52 AM
But of course since it's electric I have to pay an extra fee to register it.

Would have been cheaper to take it to an emissions station and have them read the OBD port.

wdc330i
05-10-2016, 10:58 AM
But of course since it's electric I have to pay an extra fee to register it.

Would have been cheaper to take it to an emissions station and have them read the OBD port.

Idiots

blee
05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
You should simply have gone to the inspection station. I think the story would've been worth the annoyance.

ZBB
05-10-2016, 11:49 AM
That's annoying.

I haven't had to worry about registering a car in 3 years... I paid for a 5-year registration up front back in June '13. AZ allows 1 or 2 year registrations for most cars, but allows up to 5 years for an EV. AZ also reduces the the Vehicle License Tax by 99% for EVs (effectively a property tax on cars...), so paying for 5 years up front only cost ~$130. For an ICE with the Tesla's base price, the first year VLT would easily have been ~$1k. So I locked in the lower rate for 5 years.