PDA

View Full Version : Tires: Buy two PS2 fronts, or PSSs all around?

Plaz
04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
So on my 1M, the front PS2s are nearly down to the wear bars. The rears, having been replaced far more recently, have I'd guess 60-70% tread left. But they wear faster, so those will go out long before a new set of fronts would wear out.

Is now the time to just throw all that good tread away and get four PSSs (for about $1200), or should I just get new front PS2s (for about $320, they're on sale) and ask myself this question again in 15-20,000 miles?

I guess throwing away rear tread is more expensive than throwing away front tread, but I've been looking forward to switching.

What would you do?

bren
04-20-2016, 12:20 PM
PSS blow the PS2 away, but I'm not sure I'd toss 65% tread tires.

Why not do the PSS on the front now and live with the mis-match?

Plaz
04-20-2016, 12:25 PM
PSS blow the PS2 away, but I'm not sure I'd toss 65% tread tires.

Why not do the PSS on the front now and live with the mis-match?

I've always heard that is a very bad idea.

I should just go do donuts around an empty parking lot for an hour to get my money's worth. But I'd probably get arrested.

bren
04-20-2016, 12:30 PM
I've always heard that is a very bad idea.

I should just go do donuts around an empty parking lot for an hour to get my money's worth. But I'd probably get arrested.

How far are you from Meadowlands? There's an autox there on Sunday. ;)

clyde
04-20-2016, 12:55 PM
I know nothing about differences between the PSS and PS2, but mixing and matching front and rear is rarely a huge deal. Less than optimum, sure, but rarely that big of a deal unless the mismatch is really drastic...like snows on one end and summer rubber the other. Mixing on the same axle can be a big problem depending on the tires and car.

Is the PS2 the OE tire? Take a look at forums focused on that car with active classified sections. You may be able to get someone to give you decent money for the not-used-up-yet tires to the point you're more comfortable.

John V
04-20-2016, 01:04 PM
I just went through a similar debate. The rear tires (Goodyear F1s) on the Boxster are nearly worn out, and one had a slow leak, so I bought two Conti DW's since the front goodyears have at least a year left on them. The mismatch will probably bother me but I couldn't justify throwing away two perfectly good tires and I didn't want another pair of Goodyears.

John

Jeff_DML
04-20-2016, 01:47 PM
doing donuts sounds fun or do they have any drift schools near by you can attend?:)

Plaz
04-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Leaning toward just biting the bullet and getting all four PSSs. Don't want to deal with selling the rears... plus not sure how much demand there is for 40% worn PS2 265/35/19s anyway. The mismatch idea seems like it would bother me more, for a longer period of time, even if there were no or few discernable issues in daily driving, than just writing off some good tread. Even if that doesn't make the most practical sense.

Alan
04-20-2016, 10:56 PM
I was down this road just a couple of weeks ago with the 911 ... While at the dealer getting some service they let me know the fronts were 'ok' but the rears were very close to needing replacement.

I had them replace all four because it would really bother me having brand new tires on the rear wth only 'ok' tires in the front.

Btw the car feels great with the new tires all around so Plaz you know after this post what my advice would be.

Jeff_DML
04-21-2016, 11:34 AM
donuts donuts donuts...

Theo
04-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Leaning toward just biting the bullet and getting all four PSSs. Don't want to deal with selling the rears... plus not sure how much demand there is for 40% worn PS2 265/35/19s anyway. The mismatch idea seems like it would bother me more, for a longer period of time, even if there were no or few discernable issues in daily driving, than just writing off some good tread. Even if that doesn't make the most practical sense.

This always seems to happen on any BMW rwd M car. I always go through my rears WAY faster then my fronts.

Plaz
05-05-2016, 01:00 PM
After running about a month on the worn PS2s brought the car in for maintenance and checked the tires closely up on a lift... the rears were a lot more worn than I thought, so it made the decision easy. New PSSs going on.

Front wheels both getting straightened too. I had felt just the tiniest wobble at a certain speed on the highway, but thought it was just tire wear or a thrown weight or something. Both wheels were visibly out of round just spinning them up on the lift. Also getting an alignment. (And brake fluid change, oil change, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter)

Should be like a new car when I get it back.

Theo
05-05-2016, 01:41 PM
After running about a month on the worn PS2s brought the car in for maintenance and checked the tires closely up on a lift... the rears were a lot more worn than I thought, so it made the decision easy. New PSSs going on.

Front wheels both getting straightened too. I had felt just the tiniest wobble at a certain speed on the highway, but thought it was just tire wear or a thrown weight or something. Both wheels were visibly out of round just spinning them up on the lift. Also getting an alignment. (And brake fluid change, oil change, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter)

Should be like a new car when I get it back.

How much did that run you to get each wheel straightened? My front left is in the same boat.

Plaz
05-05-2016, 01:48 PM
How much did that run you to get each wheel straightened? My front left is in the same boat.

$125 each. All of his service seems a little overpriced, but dude's got a good reputation. And he's still cheaper than the dealers. And I'm past wanting to do any of it myself. (Not that I could straighten wheels)

equ
05-05-2016, 02:32 PM
You'll love the PSS's. They are quite a leap past the PS2's, also much better in the wet.

May need to find out the name of the place that does the wheels at $125 a pop, that sounds reasonable.

Alan
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Good move on getting all four tires ... in regards to the wheels ... BMW wheels must be soft, I have had quite a few of them bend over the years and the strange thing is no other brand car I have had ever needed a wheel straightened.

Plaz
05-05-2016, 03:39 PM
You'll love the PSS's. They are quite a leap past the PS2's, also much better in the wet.

May need to find out the name of the place that does the wheels at $125 a pop, that sounds reasonable.

Cool, looking forward to the new shoes for sure.

I'll let you know how straight the wheels are afterward. Maybe it's not a good deal. :lol: I'm not sure if he does them himself or subs it out.

Guy is a Porsche dude mainly I think. But his shop has lots of Bimmers, Audis, and Benzes. I've never used him before, but what little I could scrounge up online seems to be mostly favorable. His shop seemed pretty "together" by tri-state standards and he seems to know his stuff so far. He's been in business here for at least as long as I've been back in Jersey. Bosch and ASE certified.

I just really didn't want to keep going back to the dealer I despise for service now that my warranty's up, so am giving this place a shot.

http://pinnaclemotorworks.com

EDIT: Actually read their site. He's been in business since 1983 and worked at BMW dealerships prior to that. Looks like he caters to picky assholes like us who spend too much on cars, and has kept it going for a long time, so chances are good he's good at it. :lol:

Nick M3
05-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Good move on getting all four tires ... in regards to the wheels ... BMW wheels must be soft, I have had quite a few of them bend over the years and the strange thing is no other brand car I have had ever needed a wheel straightened.
My Dad used to have to have his Mercedes wheels straightened every 4-5k miles. E55 wheels were SOFT.

Plaz
05-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Followup -- they send their wheels out to the same place I've used before from Terry's recommendation: Wheel Collision Center (http://www.wheelcollision.com) out in PA.

I asked him if he did them there or sent them out, and he said they sent them out to "the same place you've used before." I was puzzled for a second, then remembered I'd used them to repair a nasty rash I put on one rim shortly after I got the car. How did he know? They put a sticker on the inside of the rim, only visible with the tire off. :lol:

Plaz
05-10-2016, 09:00 AM
PSS blow the PS2 away

Holy shit, it's only been a couple hundred miles, but damn, these PSSs are really great. Granted, my frame of reference is skewed because my PS2s were very worn, but to my memory these PSSs are way grippier both longitudinally and laterally, while also being more comfortable over rough stuff. And cheaper! Very impressive.

bren
05-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Holy shit, it's only been a couple hundred miles, but damn, these PSSs are really great. Granted, my frame of reference is skewed because my PS2s were very worn, but to my memory these PSSs are way grippier both longitudinally and laterally, while also being more comfortable over rough stuff. And cheaper! Very impressive.

Even bigger difference in rain.

equ
05-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Absolutely. The comfort is likely the new/fresh rubber as in my opinion PSS sidewalls are at least as stiff as PS2 sidewalls, if not stiffer, but I didn't go from one to another on the same car. Have PSS on the e46m3 and had PS2 on the 987S.

The dry/wet grip on these is really great. Will transform the 1M as it really has the power and attitude to need/use all the grip it can get. :)

IndyMike
09-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Still satisfied and impressed with the PSS's to date?

I finally bit the bullet and special ordered 2 new PSS's for the rear ($306 ea.) yesterday from Discount Tire. The fronts both still have probably another 15 - 20k miles left in them so I'm going the mismatch route. I got almost 19k miles out of the rears so next time around I'll be ordering a matching set of 4 of whatever the preeminent tire in the category is at that time.

wdc330i
09-10-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wagon. All four summer tires were shot and then I developed a fast leak in one of them--so no driving them until the official winter switch over.

Because we're contemplating selling it and buying a convertible and winter weather is ahead I haven't bought new summers. Instead I just put the winter wheels/tires on it to have something immediately drivable.

But it's still 90+ degrees here and will be for the foreseeable future. And I'm driving on mushballs (Bridgestone LM25s). Plus, we will likely have to order the convertible, which will take 2-3 months.

1. Should I buy new summer tires and put the summer wheels back on until colder weather finally does arrive?

2. Should I buy all seasons and put them on the summer wheels and not switch back?

3. Should I just tough it out on the mushballs until the car sells and then replace the summer wheels/tires?

I think I'm stuck with run flats in any case because I don't think I can sell a car without a spare if it's driving on go flats. (BTW, there is only one set of staggered run flat all seasons available for my car.)

Not sure whether all seasons instead of the OEM summers would hurt resale. Pretty sure I need to sell the car with the oem 17-inch wheel set and not the 16s with winter tires that are now on the car.

If I were keeping the car, I'd ditch the run flats and buy some Michelin performance all seasons (oxymoron, I know) and drive them year round.

:confused:

Josh (PA)
09-10-2016, 01:23 PM
I'd get a set of non run flat conti extreme contact dws (all seasons) and a flat tire repair kit. The new continentals will be a pleasure to drive on for as long as you keep it and be a value adder when you sell it. I think they are the best price to performance compromise on the market

IndyMike
09-10-2016, 01:39 PM
I'd get a set of non run flat conti extreme contact dws (all seasons) and a flat tire repair kit. The new continentals will be a pleasure to drive on for as long as you keep it and be a value adder when you sell it. I think they are the best price to performance compromise on the market
+1

Compressor with something like a Dyna plug kit should be all you need (bonus if you also are have AAA membership).

Been using the DWS on our daily speed bunny for 2+ years now and have been satisfied with its all around season abilities. I have the regular DW's on the E91 at the moment, so DWS are nowhere near as good at handling at the limits, but they still allow the car to be frisky while clearly advertising in advance when they are about to break away. Added bonus is they are quiet as a tomb, if noise is a consideration. The DW's don't exactly reek in that category, but they are a bit noisier likely due to their more extreme nature.

Nick M3
09-10-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wagon. All four summer tires were shot and then I developed a fast leak in one of them--so no driving them until the official winter switch over.

Because we're contemplating selling it and buying a convertible and winter weather is ahead I haven't bought new summers. Instead I just put the winter wheels/tires on it to have something immediately drivable.

But it's still 90+ degrees here and will be for the foreseeable future. And I'm driving on mushballs (Bridgestone LM25s). Plus, we will likely have to order the convertible, which will take 2-3 months.

1. Should I buy new summer tires and put the summer wheels back on until colder weather finally does arrive?

2. Should I buy all seasons and put them on the summer wheels and not switch back?

3. Should I just tough it out on the mushballs until the car sells and then replace the summer wheels/tires?

I think I'm stuck with run flats in any case because I don't think I can sell a car without a spare if it's driving on go flats. (BTW, there is only one set of staggered run flat all seasons available for my car.)

Not sure whether all seasons instead of the OEM summers would hurt resale. Pretty sure I need to sell the car with the oem 17-inch wheel set and not the 16s with winter tires that are now on the car.

If I were keeping the car, I'd ditch the run flats and buy some Michelin performance all seasons (oxymoron, I know) and drive them year round.

:confused:
for a coupe months? I'd tough it out.

Plaz
09-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Still satisfied and impressed with the PSS's to date?

Yes, I love love love them.

wdc330i
09-11-2016, 07:50 AM
for a coupe months? I'd tough it out.

Thanks, guys! All good advice. Wish I could buy the PSSs like Plaz!

ZBB
09-11-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't think you need winter tires in ATL...

I honestly can't remember what my E46 had, but I believe they were not all seasons. Never had any problem in Atlanta, even the few days of really cold weather we got. My wife's Mini definitely only had summers, and she was also fine.

I've never had a 2nd set of wheels for winter tires -- although I just bought a set of Tesla 19" Slipstream wheels that gives me 2 sets of wheels for the upcoming move...

clyde
09-11-2016, 03:08 PM
I don't think you need winter tires in ATL...

I honestly can't remember what my E46 had, but I believe they were not all seasons. Never had any problem in Atlanta, even the few days of really cold weather we got. My wife's Mini definitely only had summers, and she was also fine.

I've never had a 2nd set of wheels for winter tires -- although I just bought a set of Tesla 19" Slipstream wheels that gives me 2 sets of wheels for the upcoming move...

Every winter the past few years there has been some kind of major traffic disaster in Atlanta from wintry weather...usually a little ice. Almost makes DC look like its winter weather competent.

wdc330i
09-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Every winter the past few years there has been some kind of major traffic disaster in Atlanta from wintry weather...usually a little ice. Almost makes DC look like its winter weather competent.

This. They had one of those 9-hour commutes from hell just a few winters ago. We had a few dustings here last winter. Just enough that I was glad I didn't have my summers on the wagon when I had to go rescue my son from early dismissal.

I don't think I need winters here. (I just already have them from our schleps to the mountains.) All seasons will get me by. I don't want to be driving on summers in any nastiness.

Plaz
04-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Put the PSSs on again after being on the skinnier PA2 snows since November.

It's like a new car. "Oh, yeah, that's what grip feels like."

Nice to be able to stab the accelerator again without triggering the nannybots 100% of the time. Love it!

Alan
04-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Put the PSSs on again after being on the skinnier PA2 snows since November.

It's like a new car. "Oh, yeah, that's what grip feels like."

Nice to be able to stab the accelerator again without triggering the nannybots 100% of the time. Love it!

It's got to feel great, I'm looking forward to swapping out the winter's for the summers ... just need a little free time to get it done.

You do the swap yourself ?

Plaz
04-09-2017, 01:37 PM
It's got to feel great, I'm looking forward to swapping out the winter's for the summers ... just need a little free time to get it done.

You do the swap yourself ?

Yeah, about the only pseudo-mechanical thing I do at all with the car any more. :lol: