PDA

View Full Version : Too bad you Seattle guys can't make it down to Laguna Seca

The HACK
10-15-2003, 01:43 AM
Man, I was looking forward to meeting up with you again 'nut.

November 22-23!

Doug
10-15-2003, 03:21 AM
Sorry man but we got a bunch of people heading down! We've got a big upgrade to our systems (Oracle 9i and aps V 11.5.8) 4 day outage...tons of work then another major data conversion 2 weeks later.

That and I corded my ra-1s last time at the track and need to buy some...

Doug
11-14-2003, 08:55 PM
The guys had an awesome time...50+ cars went down. We are going to go again next year...I've gotta make it next time.

scottn2retro
12-12-2003, 07:58 PM
It was an eventful track school to say the least.

I finally got things straightened out with some sponsors such that we can now show some pics.

Here's how Alex's old car looks now (apologize in advance for 'fest decals)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22543

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22540

Doug
12-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Nice!

Rob
12-13-2003, 09:52 PM
More than nice. I am coming to the next tech session that has the slightest chance of this car showing up - in spite of the drive and in spite of the fact that I probably won't want to do anything to my car (suspension seems a bit much for a tech fest and although I want to give the Rogue short shifter a try, I am not going to ask for help with it at B&M - where all tech sessions seem to be these days).

Scott, it's beautiful.

scottn2retro
12-16-2003, 06:28 PM
More than nice. I am coming to the next tech session that has the slightest chance of this car showing up - in spite of the drive and in spite of the fact that I probably won't want to do anything to my car (suspension seems a bit much for a tech fest and although I want to give the Rogue short shifter a try, I am not going to ask for help with it at B&M - where all tech sessions seem to be these days).

Scott, it's beautiful.

Thanks. The next prospect for a tech session will also be at B&M in January to do a Technik install on it (the bushings are shot in the factory shifter anyway). But after that, there's going to have to be some work done on the car (probably in Orange County) to prep for it's first race event. I haven't see an official schedule yet, but we're not going to be able to scramble fast enough for the proposed races in Jan. or early Feb., so maybe late Feb. or March we can pull things together. Maybe I can schedule a BMW Club Racing Annual Inspection at XP Engineering for a weekend (they are in OC as well).

The car is currently on display at Irvine BMW through the holidays, so if you're in the area, you can check it out.

The HACK
12-16-2003, 06:36 PM

Scott, it's beautiful.

B&M is the best place to do suspension work. They've got air tools. :)

doeboy
12-17-2003, 02:58 AM
B&M is the best place to do suspension work. They've got air tools. :)

Weeeeeeeeee~~~~~ ratatatatatata! :D

doeboy
12-17-2003, 03:00 AM
The car is currently on display at Irvine BMW through the holidays, so if you're in the area, you can check it out.

Cool! I'll have to tell some of my car nut coworkers to go check it out. :D

scottn2retro
12-17-2003, 03:05 PM

Cool! I'll have to tell some of my car nut coworkers to go check it out. :D

Tell them to talk to Terry Best if he is there - he is one of Ralph Warren's crew that works there and knows a lot about the car. Or our buddy Phillipe Kahn :smile:

Rob
12-18-2003, 05:50 PM

My parents live in Tustin. I am heading up there this weekend. I will make a little side trip . . . actually, more sort of a "get of the highway for a minute" trip. Outstanding.

It's also been quite awhile since I made a tech session. January sounds like a good time to come up. As an added bonus, I can see this new miracle short shifter in person. :smile:

Hack, if you are serious about being able to do suspension stuff at a tech session, we should talk about a good session to set aside time for it. My rear shocks have to be close to going (nearing 50k) and if I have to take it apart, I really want to do it all at once. Just seems like it will take a huge chunk of time to do with limited lift time available.

The HACK
12-18-2003, 06:43 PM
[quote=ptg95m3]Hack, if you are serious about being able to do suspension stuff at a tech session, we should talk about a good session to set aside time for it. My rear shocks have to be close to going (nearing 50k) and if I have to take it apart, I really want to do it all at once. Just seems like it will take a huge chunk of time to do with limited lift time available.

If you're just doing rear shocks, I can swap them out in less than half an hour. If you're thinking of doing the front, it may take a little longer.

scottn2retro
12-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Hack, if you are serious about being able to do suspension stuff at a tech session, we should talk about a good session to set aside time for it. My rear shocks have to be close to going (nearing 50k) and if I have to take it apart, I really want to do it all at once. Just seems like it will take a huge chunk of time to do with limited lift time available.

If you do rear shocks, be sure to look into improved rear shock mounts and reinforcements. Maybe even some of those rear shock mounts that will allow future shock changes from the bottom only (where you don't have to mess with the trunk liner).

Rob
12-19-2003, 01:12 PM
If you're just doing rear shocks, I can swap them out in less than half an hour. If you're thinking of doing the front, it may take a little longer.

I am thinknig of changing to a coil over system or some other form of improved set up. I haven't decided which one at all at this point. (In fact, I am still hoping that BimmerNut will share some of that massive research he put into his selection ;) ) It would be a bit more involved than just rear shocks. Obviously, the shock mounts will be replaced at that point. And there is the RTAB issue to consider. Working with a spring compressor (which I have never done, it just sounds time consuming). The front . . . seems like too much work to try and do at a tech session.