PDA

View Full Version : New Honda Ridgeline

Biggins
01-13-2016, 08:35 AM
I like it. :dunno:

http://automobiles.honda.com/new-ridgeline/

It checks a lot of boxes for what I would need in a truck. I haul things from time-to-time and has a usable back seat. Since I never tow anything, I think it would work for me if I didn't live in the city. Even if I did need to tow a small trailer loaded with stuff from Lowe's/HD, I don't think it would have a problem. I can get over the fact that it is FWD on a minivan chassis, but I'd still go for the AWD model. I'm sure it will be more expensive than it should be and it's not my next vehicle, but it seems like a practical truck (if you're not towing).

wdc330i
01-13-2016, 08:43 AM
My in-laws have an older version. They love it. Very car like but with Swiss Army knife utility. They also have a proper pickup truck ;)

bren
01-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Why not just get a real truck? Those little beds are dumb.

John V
01-13-2016, 10:43 AM
I think I'd rather have a Chevy Colorado.

blee
01-13-2016, 10:44 AM
I can see its appeal. The bed isn't going to be great for lumber from Home Depot, but it will hold a decent pile of stuff that would be annoying in a clean interior space -- think (dirty) bikes, sports gear, tailgating grill, etc. For the rest of your life, the interior is definitely going to be more car-like and comfortable. It's a natural progression for the car-based SUV driver who wants to do some truck-like things, but doesn't want an actual truck.

I would totally love the two-way tailgate. My dad's old Caprice had something like this back in 1978, and so did the barn-door Suburbans a generation later. Other than that, I'm happier with my Silverado.

blee
01-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Or Colorado. I think GM did well by that one, too.

bren
01-13-2016, 11:01 AM
As a daily driver, I suppose it makes some sense if you want a "car like" ride. As a utility/extra vehicle thing, nah. Why not get a full sized truck with a bed that can fit more than 3 trash bags.

John V
01-13-2016, 12:42 PM
the people I know who own ridgelines like them because they drive (and maybe more importantly are easy to park) like a car, but have enough room and capacity to carry bags of mulch, plants, furniture, etc that you can't fit in a car.

These aren't people who will be buying 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheetrock or towing trailers (generally).

clyde
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
These aren't people who will be buying 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheetrock or towing enclosed trailers (generally).

Heh

bren
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm trying to remember the last time I had a problem parking the truck somewhere. I was at a shopping center the other day where the tires were touching the lines on both sides of the parking space, that wasn't ideal I guess.

It is annoying in parking garages and worrying about the height restrictions. But it's not like a smaller truck is going to offer a more enjoyable drive. They're still big and heavy and boring.

John V
01-13-2016, 12:59 PM
I don't think you've ever driven a Ridgeline. I have. It's like driving a minivan. Seriously.

I've also driven Sam's brand spanky new Dodge 2500. It is *not* like driving a minivan. It is awesome. But the turning radius sucks. It's long. It rides better than my truck but it doesn't ride well. It's huge. It is everything a ridgeline is not. I love having a big truck. But it is not fun squeezing it into narrow parking spaces.

It's not about being fun to drive, it's about being manageable for people intimidated (and I do think rightfully so) by full size pickups.

Heh

:lol: I almost left of the "generally." And then I thought: "Oh yeah. That guy."

bren
01-13-2016, 02:22 PM
... it's about being manageable for people intimidated (and I do think rightfully so) by full size pickups.

I hear you. I just think "get over it". ;)

Just sharing experience really. We had an s10 before the Ram and it was worthless in comparison.