PDA

View Full Version : Roof racks

Biggins
10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Since my car was much cheaper to fix than I expected, I've decided to do some mods to make it a more convenient daily driver. Those of you with past experience with roof racks, what brand roof rack would you recommend?

I believe the only attachments I'd likely use would be a snowboard/ski attachment (95% of time), but I wanted the option to add bike and kayak attachments later on. I'm bidding on a used Thule roof rack on eBay made for my car (e36), but I was curious if Yakima is better or if there are other alternatives.

rautox
10-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I prefer yakima, as they seemed a little less prone to corrosion. But, they're both good. And I've seen both stand up to a lot of abuse. Personal preference would cover any difference in quality, imo.

equ
10-01-2007, 11:02 PM
My thule ski rack worked well for my a4, though some exposed bits did corrode. Make sure you get the 6-pair one that slides off, that part stayed strong. The bars & nuts & feet, not as well. The rear mounted bike rack (also thule) is spotless but never felt all that secure.

BahnBaum
10-01-2007, 11:04 PM
We've been very happy with the Yakima ski and bike attachments. This is the 3rd winter, and they look to be in good shape and work fine.

Alex

clyde
10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a big yakima roof top box for the wagon. We've had it about 4 years now and it's only opened on the road once (someone that I'm married to didn't close it properly). The cross bars haven't come off the car since we first put them on, and they've held up fine (and were two or three years old when lemming gave them to me).

wdc330i
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Another vote of confidence for Yakima. We have the roof rack, bike attachments, and Space Cadet box. No problems. Also, if you are an REI member, they run periodic 20% off deals.

Rob
10-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I have used Thule racks for nearly 20 years and I have never had any issues that were worth remembering. I have probably not kept any individual part except for the bike trays for that entire time, but my original tray still works fine (I have others that I use first b/c they improved the design somewhere along the way.) I also never had any corrosion problems of any kind.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two brands. I started with Thule b/c that's what my bike shop sold in the late 80s, but it just as easily could have been Yakima. The Volvo integrated racks are Thule, for whatever that is worth.

If you do use it for bikes and intend to carry them long distances, I recommend getting full length bike trays, not the two piece "pray it stays on" attachments.

clyde
10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Another vote of confidence for Yakima. We have the roof rack, bike attachments, and Space Cadet box. No problems. Also, if you are an REI member, they run periodic 20% off deals.

Another vote for REI. That's where we bought ours. My wife went there during the day. The employees aren't allowed to help put it on the car, but one said that he could "take a break," removed his name tag and helped her.

Biggins
10-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys! If I don't win the Thule on eBay, I'll have to check out REI. I don't get out much, but is there one local near Owings Mills or Columbia?

Also, would it be worth it to get one of those wind deflector/fairing things?

rautox
10-02-2007, 07:27 PM
College Park and Alexandria are the two closest.

And, depending on the car, the fairing can cut down on noise quite a bit. I think they're worth it.

TD
10-02-2007, 10:56 PM
College Park and Alexandria are the two closest.

And, depending on the car, the fairing can cut down on noise quite a bit. I think they're worth it.
There is an REI in Rockville. That might be closer than College Park and is definitely closer than Alexandria.

wdc330i
10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the insight guys! If I don't win the Thule on eBay, I'll have to check out REI. I don't get out much, but is there one local near Owings Mills or Columbia?

Also, would it be worth it to get one of those wind deflector/fairing things?

The fairing is totally worth it.

equ
10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
The thule fairing on my a4 (00 to 04, my pre-mudgeon period) was a negative for noise & economy. I just took it off after a time. It did look cool though.

wdc330i
10-03-2007, 11:32 AM
The thule fairing on my a4 (00 to 04, my pre-mudgeon period) was a negative for noise & economy. I just took it off after a time. It did look cool though.

Ah. My experience is just with the Yakima and an e46 moonroof.

Rob
10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
The fairing can rub through your paint where it rests on the roof. Dust gets under the little rubber feet, the fairing vibrates in the wind, and . . .

Personally, I would never use one. They can reduce the wind notice by quite a bit in my experience, but once I noticed scratches under the contacts that had to be buffed out, I took it off and never put it back on.