PDA

View Full Version : Subaru BRZ - Impressions

lupinsea
12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
I had a chance to drive a Subaru BRZ last night while visiting a friend who was in town (he was borrowing his brother's car). I must say, I did like it quite a bit. It's basically a hard top Miata with a vestigial back seat and extra cargo room / rear hatch. As such I couldn't help comparing it with the NC Miata I daily drive.

The Car and The Route
This particular BRZ was a metallic navy blue. No idea of the options on it other than a cosmetic rear wing. It was 11pm when we got to the car. Like the Miata it had a barely adequate interior dome light that didn't do much to light up the interior. So I wasn't able to look too closely at the interior.

The streets were damp last night, wet in some sections dry in others and given the tires that were spec'd for the car I didn't want to push things too much but the drive was more than just plodding along. We had a couple of freeway blasts, some city surface street driving, and a segment of twisties through the Seattle Arboretum and along Lake Washington Blvd if anyone is familiar with that route. Not the best overall loop but not bad for an urban route.

Power
It's easy to see why there are many complaints about the car not having enough power but I think they are overblown, much in the way I think complaints about the Miata's "lack of power" are also overblown. It's no barn stormer or drag racer. But as the revs pick up it got underway quick enough. "I" had no complaints but then I was coming from an NC Miata as a daily driver for the last four years. Which I'm sure colors my opinion much differently than most 'Mudgeons here. Overall I'd say that the NC era Miatas are just slightly a bit snappier than the BRZ. The latter has more HP but both cars have virtually the same torque but with the Miata weighing ~300 lb. less it has a better torque-to-weight ratio. Not to mention I think the NC's engine power band has the torque coming on a little lower in the rev range. Not a huge difference but one I noticed and I'm not one for subtleties. Also, the BRZ's engine seemed a little less refined or rev happy than the Miata's. Still, "I'd" have no problems with this car's power as it's plenty to play with. Everything seemed well balanced on it and it's a fun machine with the power plant it has.

Ride / Handling
No surprise here. The Toyobaru twins have been noted for their firm ride. I'd say it's firmer than the NC Miata but that has a relatively soft suspension for a sports car that it's not really saying much. The BRZ was stiff as it bumped over the rougher sections of Seattle crumbling streets but . . . not horribly so. Not enough that I'd write off the car as horribly uncomfortable for daily driving duties, just stiffer and noticeable. However, a big difference to the Miata is that the BRZ felt really solid and planted. Very stable and confidence inspiring on the freeway. The Miata is more "lively" in that regard and you need to be on top of it a little more given that the softer ride lets it wallow a bit more. I didn't push the car hard through the corners last night given the road conditions but I was very very pleased with the ride / handling balance. Absolutely loved it on the freeway blasts . . . except for the visibility (more later) . . . and prefer it to my Miata.

Control Inputs / Ergonomics
Coming from the Miata which, is noted for it's good shifter and driver focused egos, the BRZ felt right at home. So much so that I didn't really notice anything about the controls. The steering wheel was nicely contoured and felt very comfortable under my hands. I think I might like it a little better than the Miata's. Pedal placement and spacing felt right and I could heel-toe shift without thinking about it just as I do in the Maita. The shifter felt reasonably tight. Perhaps a little longer throws than the Miata and it was a taller shifter, too. But it otherwise had a similar feel to it and the same shift pattern as my 6 spd so no learning curve for me in this regard. However, the Miata has a better center console in my view in that it comes up much higher and creates a big gigantic deck or platform between the dash and the rear bulk head and comes up to the same height as the arm rest on the door. I can see where it would feel a little more claustrophobic to some but as you sit in the seat and relax your arms naturally rest on the door arm rest and the center console very comfortably. . . . and where your right hand naturally rests is right where the Miata's short shifter is. Simply perfect. And it's part of what makes the car feel like it fits like a glove. The BRZ is more like a normal car where that center console drops much further down. It feels less confining (perhaps also why the shifter is longer than in the Miata) and it makes using the center console area much easier (holding beverages, accessing your junk you toss in the cup holders and storage bin, etc.). The same thing that I like about the Miata's center console also make it inconvenient as a utility thing where the cup holders are RIGHT under your elbow and forearm. If you have anything sticking out of the cup holders (such as beverages) you need to loop your elbow out and round slightly. Not too big a deal for short durations but no way comfortable for long distance cruising such as a road trip. And I just realized I spent half the paragraph talking about the center console in both cars.

Seats / Ingress and Egress / Fit
Getting in and out of both cars is . . . about the same PITA. Both cars sit low to the ground and have low roof lines (yeah, I know, stop the presses!). I'm not as flexible as I used to be (and a bit fatter, too) so I'm noticing this more and more. However, I'd say it's actually a little tougher to get into the BRZ and this is mostly due to it's more heavily bolstered seats. They feel good and certainly much more snug and secure once you're in them but that firm contouring also makes it tougher coming and going. Also, seats for both cars verge on the almost-too-narrow for me. I'm 5'-10" and about 230 lb. and just fit the seat width. Overall I'd probably give the nod to the Miata. It's seats are less bolstered but to me that makes them more comfortable both to sit in and easier coming and going. And with the Miata's top down, well, it's no contest: just open the door and plop down without a thought of bumping your head.

Surprisingly, given the Miata's renown for being a tiny car and the BRZ being a four-seater (technically), I found both cars very similar in how cramped they are. The BRZ is not a big car so fitting four seats makes the whole cabin feel smaller than it perhaps could be. Also, I think the BRZ is tighter in the footwell than the Miata. At least it felt like it last night from what I remember.

Interior
It was dark at 11pm last night. The BRZ had a black interior and a paltry dome light (almost as bad as the Miatas) with no other interior lighting. So . . . can't comment on it. However, tapping on surfaces and bumping around in the car it felt pretty solid. Not premium, but it didn't feel cheap the way the Ford Focus interior felt. It actually felt similar to the Miata's interior but a bit more solid. Like the plastics were a little thicker or denser. Though the Miata's HVAC controls were easier to manipulate.

Visibility
It's almost a toss-up between the two cars as to which has the worst rearward and over-the-shoulder visibility. I'm much more familiar with the Miata's proportions and what's around it but I would probably give the slight nod to the Miata. There's a lot of rear c-pillar in the BRZ to try to look around and when I was merging on to the freeway it was hard to get a sense of the road when looking back through the car.

The view out over the hoods of both cars was wonderful, though. I very much like looking out over a hood I can see and both don't disappoint here. Perhaps a slight nod to the BRZ for having more pronounced fenders. They weren't as extravagant as my old C3 Corvest but they came up similarly and I appreciated that as a marker for where the front wheels are. Helps to place the car coming into corners.

Packaging and Practicality
The BRZ does pretty good for a sports car in this respect. There is a "back seat" for tossing stuff on and a cargo area under the rear hatch. The back seats fold down for more flexibility and more cargo room. The Miata doesn't have this. It's trunk is adequate for a weekend getaway or car camping on a road trip (it fits two sleeping bags, a tent, a duffle of clothes, a camping lantern, two ground pads, machete, ax, and a bundle of firewood). But that's it. If someone is needing sports car with a "little bit" more practicality than the Miata then the BRZ would work. But anything beyond that and it's still a tight fit.

The BRZ DOES have rear seats. . . . kind of like the Porsche 911 has "rear seats." I saw them last night but I did not try to sit in them. I'm not sure how they work for any one (adult or child) who has legs. My body is proportioned with short legs vs. my torso so I usually need to move the seat up. Even so, behind me there was maybe 3" between the front seat back and the rear seat cushion. How you'd even fit a child's legs back there is beyond me. As I look to replace the Miata in the next few months I can't honestly consider the BRZ. It's just way to tight and cramped for my needs and the rear seats are too much of a joke.

Bottom Line
Despite my grousing here I really did like the BRZ a lot. After four years of driving the Maita it's a tough call as to which I liked more. I think my car is a little snappier accelerating and has a more fits-like-a-glove feel about it in a good way. But I like the BRZs chassis ride and stability more. And after four years the top-down-ness of the Miata is . . . hm, perhaps less novel than it used to be. It is still immensely enjoyable during good weather and I can probably have the top down on the Miata in Seattle 5-6 months out of the year. But the soft top is wearing out and starting to tear after 8 years and after having the top up for the last 2+ months the memories of having it down fade a bit. Yet the BRZ's "practicality" is not as strong as a deciding factor as I thought it would be. It's not honestly a 4-seater despite the rear seat and while it has more cargo volume it's still no where near a hatchback in usefulness (not that it ever pretends to be), it reminds me of our old BMW E46 with the rear seats folded down: handy occasionally, but not a huge motivator. If I didn't need yet more practicality / people capacity than the BRZ offers, right now, after four years in the NC Miata, I'd probably make the switch to the BRZ just to dry something a little different.

Jeff_DML
12-01-2015, 02:20 PM
nice write up, reminds me of this comparision

wC4xAArXCTY

I might of been driving one instead of my m3 if used examples were cheaper when I was looking.

Jeff_DML
12-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I think the reason why some people complain about a supposed lack of power is because they aren't driving it correctly. Peak horsepower arrives at 7,000 rpm, and the full 151 pound-feet of torque is delivered at 6,400 rpm. So for spirited driving, don't even bother revving below 3,500 rpm. No, it's not the best sounding engine (what naturally aspirated flat-four is?), but don't let the noise fool you. Keep the 2.0-liter boxer on boil, and you'll find salvation in this 200-hp mill.
To me, the BRZ's steering feel is second only to the Mazda Miata. The car's lightness is accurately communicated through the wheel, but it's direct, nicely weighted, and never void of feedback.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/02/2016-subaru-brz-series-hyperblue-quick-spin-review/#slide-endcap

lupinsea
12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah, pretty much spot on.

A friend of mine was helping me brainstorm a replacement for the Miata and suggested Toyobaru twins because it had a back seat. I knew it wouldn't work and was still to cramped and compromised for what I'd need as a replacement. But I was still overmuch intrigued by the car and wanted to verify it wouldn't work.

As much as I like checking out different types of cars I rarely test drive them. I don't just go into a dealership to try out a car unless I'm actively in the market. Partly I don't have the time these days. Also I don't want to wind myself up for some cool cars if there isn't a realistic chance of owning one.

So it was cool to spend some time driving the BRZ with my friend where we could spend some time in it and push it around without having a salesman riding along.

Biggins
12-22-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm glad you got the chance to try one out! I have no plans to get rid of my FR-S anytime soon, but I did just lower mine on the TRD springs that Toyota offers for the Scion version. It looks cooler being lower to the ground, but the ride is pretty rough on city streets on "race" tires in the winter. I'm hoping the springs make it perform even slightly better next autocross season.

I do drive mine more often now, and I'd agree with most all of your observations.

However, I have priced a few supercharger kits in the past couple months just for fun. I don't think I'll ever go that route, but the noises it makes with a supercharger are pretty cool, and it definitely gets faster that way...

Alan
12-22-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm glad you got the chance to try one out! I have no plans to get rid of my FR-S anytime soon, but I did just lower mine on the TRD springs that Toyota offers for the Scion version. It looks cooler being lower to the ground, but the ride is pretty rough on city streets on "race" tires in the winter. I'm hoping the springs make it perform even slightly better next autocross season.

I do drive mine more often now, and I'd agree with most all of your observations.

However, I have priced a few supercharger kits in the past couple months just for fun. I don't think I'll ever go that route, but the noises it makes with a supercharger are pretty cool, and it definitely gets faster that way...

I love that car and always wanted to drive one ... sounds like you're having fun with yours ... when you get a chance please post a pic or two !!

Alan
12-22-2015, 06:05 PM
I had a chance to drive a Subaru BRZ last night while visiting a friend who was in town (he was borrowing his brother's car). I must say, I did like it quite a bit. It's basically a hard top Miata with a vestigial back seat and extra cargo room / rear hatch. As such I couldn't help comparing it with the NC Miata I daily drive.

The Car and The Route
This particular BRZ was a metallic navy blue. No idea of the options on it other than a cosmetic rear wing. It was 11pm when we got to the car. Like the Miata it had a barely adequate interior dome light that didn't do much to light up the interior. So I wasn't able to look too closely at the interior.

The streets were damp last night, wet in some sections dry in others and given the tires that were spec'd for the car I didn't want to push things too much but the drive was more than just plodding along. We had a couple of freeway blasts, some city surface street driving, and a segment of twisties through the Seattle Arboretum and along Lake Washington Blvd if anyone is familiar with that route. Not the best overall loop but not bad for an urban route.

Power
It's easy to see why there are many complaints about the car not having enough power but I think they are overblown, much in the way I think complaints about the Miata's "lack of power" are also overblown. It's no barn stormer or drag racer. But as the revs pick up it got underway quick enough. "I" had no complaints but then I was coming from an NC Miata as a daily driver for the last four years. Which I'm sure colors my opinion much differently than most 'Mudgeons here. Overall I'd say that the NC era Miatas are just slightly a bit snappier than the BRZ. The latter has more HP but both cars have virtually the same torque but with the Miata weighing ~300 lb. less it has a better torque-to-weight ratio. Not to mention I think the NC's engine power band has the torque coming on a little lower in the rev range. Not a huge difference but one I noticed and I'm not one for subtleties. Also, the BRZ's engine seemed a little less refined or rev happy than the Miata's. Still, "I'd" have no problems with this car's power as it's plenty to play with. Everything seemed well balanced on it and it's a fun machine with the power plant it has.

Ride / Handling
No surprise here. The Toyobaru twins have been noted for their firm ride. I'd say it's firmer than the NC Miata but that has a relatively soft suspension for a sports car that it's not really saying much. The BRZ was stiff as it bumped over the rougher sections of Seattle crumbling streets but . . . not horribly so. Not enough that I'd write off the car as horribly uncomfortable for daily driving duties, just stiffer and noticeable. However, a big difference to the Miata is that the BRZ felt really solid and planted. Very stable and confidence inspiring on the freeway. The Miata is more "lively" in that regard and you need to be on top of it a little more given that the softer ride lets it wallow a bit more. I didn't push the car hard through the corners last night given the road conditions but I was very very pleased with the ride / handling balance. Absolutely loved it on the freeway blasts . . . except for the visibility (more later) . . . and prefer it to my Miata.

Control Inputs / Ergonomics
Coming from the Miata which, is noted for it's good shifter and driver focused egos, the BRZ felt right at home. So much so that I didn't really notice anything about the controls. The steering wheel was nicely contoured and felt very comfortable under my hands. I think I might like it a little better than the Miata's. Pedal placement and spacing felt right and I could heel-toe shift without thinking about it just as I do in the Maita. The shifter felt reasonably tight. Perhaps a little longer throws than the Miata and it was a taller shifter, too. But it otherwise had a similar feel to it and the same shift pattern as my 6 spd so no learning curve for me in this regard. However, the Miata has a better center console in my view in that it comes up much higher and creates a big gigantic deck or platform between the dash and the rear bulk head and comes up to the same height as the arm rest on the door. I can see where it would feel a little more claustrophobic to some but as you sit in the seat and relax your arms naturally rest on the door arm rest and the center console very comfortably. . . . and where your right hand naturally rests is right where the Miata's short shifter is. Simply perfect. And it's part of what makes the car feel like it fits like a glove. The BRZ is more like a normal car where that center console drops much further down. It feels less confining (perhaps also why the shifter is longer than in the Miata) and it makes using the center console area much easier (holding beverages, accessing your junk you toss in the cup holders and storage bin, etc.). The same thing that I like about the Miata's center console also make it inconvenient as a utility thing where the cup holders are RIGHT under your elbow and forearm. If you have anything sticking out of the cup holders (such as beverages) you need to loop your elbow out and round slightly. Not too big a deal for short durations but no way comfortable for long distance cruising such as a road trip. And I just realized I spent half the paragraph talking about the center console in both cars.

Seats / Ingress and Egress / Fit
Getting in and out of both cars is . . . about the same PITA. Both cars sit low to the ground and have low roof lines (yeah, I know, stop the presses!). I'm not as flexible as I used to be (and a bit fatter, too) so I'm noticing this more and more. However, I'd say it's actually a little tougher to get into the BRZ and this is mostly due to it's more heavily bolstered seats. They feel good and certainly much more snug and secure once you're in them but that firm contouring also makes it tougher coming and going. Also, seats for both cars verge on the almost-too-narrow for me. I'm 5'-10" and about 230 lb. and just fit the seat width. Overall I'd probably give the nod to the Miata. It's seats are less bolstered but to me that makes them more comfortable both to sit in and easier coming and going. And with the Miata's top down, well, it's no contest: just open the door and plop down without a thought of bumping your head.

Surprisingly, given the Miata's renown for being a tiny car and the BRZ being a four-seater (technically), I found both cars very similar in how cramped they are. The BRZ is not a big car so fitting four seats makes the whole cabin feel smaller than it perhaps could be. Also, I think the BRZ is tighter in the footwell than the Miata. At least it felt like it last night from what I remember.

Interior
It was dark at 11pm last night. The BRZ had a black interior and a paltry dome light (almost as bad as the Miatas) with no other interior lighting. So . . . can't comment on it. However, tapping on surfaces and bumping around in the car it felt pretty solid. Not premium, but it didn't feel cheap the way the Ford Focus interior felt. It actually felt similar to the Miata's interior but a bit more solid. Like the plastics were a little thicker or denser. Though the Miata's HVAC controls were easier to manipulate.

Visibility
It's almost a toss-up between the two cars as to which has the worst rearward and over-the-shoulder visibility. I'm much more familiar with the Miata's proportions and what's around it but I would probably give the slight nod to the Miata. There's a lot of rear c-pillar in the BRZ to try to look around and when I was merging on to the freeway it was hard to get a sense of the road when looking back through the car.

The view out over the hoods of both cars was wonderful, though. I very much like looking out over a hood I can see and both don't disappoint here. Perhaps a slight nod to the BRZ for having more pronounced fenders. They weren't as extravagant as my old C3 Corvest but they came up similarly and I appreciated that as a marker for where the front wheels are. Helps to place the car coming into corners.

Packaging and Practicality
The BRZ does pretty good for a sports car in this respect. There is a "back seat" for tossing stuff on and a cargo area under the rear hatch. The back seats fold down for more flexibility and more cargo room. The Miata doesn't have this. It's trunk is adequate for a weekend getaway or car camping on a road trip (it fits two sleeping bags, a tent, a duffle of clothes, a camping lantern, two ground pads, machete, ax, and a bundle of firewood). But that's it. If someone is needing sports car with a "little bit" more practicality than the Miata then the BRZ would work. But anything beyond that and it's still a tight fit.

The BRZ DOES have rear seats. . . . kind of like the Porsche 911 has "rear seats." I saw them last night but I did not try to sit in them. I'm not sure how they work for any one (adult or child) who has legs. My body is proportioned with short legs vs. my torso so I usually need to move the seat up. Even so, behind me there was maybe 3" between the front seat back and the rear seat cushion. How you'd even fit a child's legs back there is beyond me. As I look to replace the Miata in the next few months I can't honestly consider the BRZ. It's just way to tight and cramped for my needs and the rear seats are too much of a joke.

Bottom Line
Despite my grousing here I really did like the BRZ a lot. After four years of driving the Maita it's a tough call as to which I liked more. I think my car is a little snappier accelerating and has a more fits-like-a-glove feel about it in a good way. But I like the BRZs chassis ride and stability more. And after four years the top-down-ness of the Miata is . . . hm, perhaps less novel than it used to be. It is still immensely enjoyable during good weather and I can probably have the top down on the Miata in Seattle 5-6 months out of the year. But the soft top is wearing out and starting to tear after 8 years and after having the top up for the last 2+ months the memories of having it down fade a bit. Yet the BRZ's "practicality" is not as strong as a deciding factor as I thought it would be. It's not honestly a 4-seater despite the rear seat and while it has more cargo volume it's still no where near a hatchback in usefulness (not that it ever pretends to be), it reminds me of our old BMW E46 with the rear seats folded down: handy occasionally, but not a huge motivator. If I didn't need yet more practicality / people capacity than the BRZ offers, right now, after four years in the NC Miata, I'd probably make the switch to the BRZ just to dry something a little different.

Now that is what I call a write up ... beautiful job !!!!! I'm surprised to hear the Miata is quicker ...