PDA

View Full Version : Ford Sync update 3.8

clyde
10-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Ford release an update to second gen Sync systems (2011-2015) yesterday. The release is the first update in nearly two years and it came pretty much out of the blue.

The big news is that it adds support for Siri Eyes Free. Not CarPlay and the story is it never will (3rd gen Sync is supposed to support it at some point, but Ford and BlackBerry aren't saying when). The other thing is the update process works smoothly from a Mac, unlike previous updates that really needed to use a Windows box to download the update and install it to a USB stick.

It's funny for me because after mostly ignoring Siri forever, I just started playing Hey Siri in the past week and have found it pretty impressive, mostly. Siri Eyes Free is vey similar but not nearly as good. With Hey Siri, I can tell the phone to switch apps, but because SEF doesn't use the screen, it doesn't let you do that. Hey Siri needs you scream it to start unless the car is perfectly quiet, but SEF can be used from a steering wheel button...that has to be held three seconds. You can engage Siri by holding the home button, but that's not really better than three seconds on the wheel button.

Overall, it's nice, but kinda too little, too late to matter.

Remains to be seen if the update increases general Sync/MFT reliability and speed or breaks anything worse than it was.

kognito
10-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Was this sent to you? or do I need to download it? Not sure what versions are in the Fusion and Edge, but neither have been updated (that I know of)

clyde
10-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Was this sent to you? or do I need to download it? Not sure what versions are in the Fusion and Edge, but neither have been updated (that I know of)

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Login.

If you never logged in or don't have an account, you'll need to create one. Have the VINs handy.

I found out from AppleInsider.com last night.

kognito
10-17-2015, 03:36 PM
sorry, had downloaded it by the time you posted, but thanks.

Edge is updating. . . Jutta doesn't want to do Fusion till we know what else it changes (Fusion and Edge finally recognizes her voice, if Edge no longer recognizes her voice, she doesn't want it lol)

robg
10-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I have SEF integration on my BMW with similar complaints. So silly that Apple won't allow you to open an app via SEF but will with Hey Siri.