PDA

View Full Version : 2010 BMW F650GS (800cc twin), ultra low miles

equ
10-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Up for sale is my 2010 BMW f650gs (this is the twin with the 800cc engine) in Lava Orange Metallic. 3700 miles. Nothing but tires or kickstand (or centerstand) has ever touched the ground or any other object. Always garaged. Dealer serviced at 800 miles, at 2000 miles and at 3700 miles, it needs nothing. It has a new battery. The original, grippy bridgestones are still going strong. The bike has ABS, heated grips and the trip computer as options. The suspension is standard height. As included extras, there is an SW Motech Centerstand, professionally installed/perfectly functioning and a BMW Motorrad large tank bag. Everything on the bike works well. I regularly get 50 to 55mpg's on city/highway and 60+ on country lanes.

SOLD

Bike is being sold with new OEM low seat and stock muffler.

Located in North NJ, right near NYC.

wdc330i
10-17-2015, 04:33 PM
That's a gorgeous bike. Wish I weren't so scared of maiming myself on one.

Plaz
10-17-2015, 05:16 PM
That's a gorgeous bike. Wish I weren't so scared of maiming myself on one.

:+1

bren
10-17-2015, 05:19 PM
It's not so much the damage you may do to yourself as much as that which may be inflicted by others.

clyde
10-17-2015, 06:35 PM
It's not so much the damage you may do to yourself as much as that which may be inflicted by others.

No. As far as bikes go, it's much more the damage to myself I'm worried about. ("Bikes" means motorcycles and bicycles.)

equ
10-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Gotta love it when even a bike-for-sale thread devolves into reasons as to why each person doesn't bike...

I'm not trying to 'convert' anyone to bike, and given the rarity of riders on this forum, there is little need to post here. I guess I feel more complete if I post all my for-sale items here as it's a bit of a tight-knit community (as far as online communities go). Also the riders on the forum get to see each other's rides or ex-rides.

Josh (PA)
10-18-2015, 02:35 PM
It is a really cool looking bike.

equ
10-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks, everyone.

Funnily enough, it looks really 'ordinary' to me. Part of it is that, for an experienced rider, it's a bit of a yawn ride. The pipe (akrapovic) gives it character but otherwise, it's just a swiss army knife. Sort of like a 328xi/x1/a4/vw tdi.

My other two bikes, the r1200r and the multistrada, started out their lives at much higher price points and it shows. That said, I'll be sad to see this go. I'm basically its first owner and this is what made me sell the cool w650. It's frugal, torquey and its soft, long-travel suspension does wonders in the urban jungle. If I rode in to NYC daily, I'd be keeping it.

This one for sale is a light, do-it-all. Would do minor dirt just fine, it is king of urban the jungle and potholes with lots of torque and a soft, long-travel suspension. Half-dirt bike, half street. If I commuted into NYC by bike, I'd be keeping it. I'll

clyde
10-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Gotta love it when even a bike-for-sale thread devolves into reasons as to why each person doesn't bike...

I'm not trying to 'convert' anyone to bike, and given the rarity of riders on this forum, there is little need to post here. I guess I feel more complete if I post all my for-sale items here as it's a bit of a tight-knit community (as far as online communities go). Also the riders on the forum get to see each other's rides or ex-rides.

Dude. I want a bike. I want to ride almost every day (not wild about wet and/or cold weather). I'd be lying if some of the for sale threads here haven't made me think. I'm glad you and the others do post here. Really.

rumatt
10-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Ironically, just last week I was thinking to myself.... Should I buy a motorcycle to commute in and out if NYC from Westchester?

The problem is that I'd street park the bike. (That is part of the point of the bike: easy parking.) This one seems too nice to leave on the street.

Someone talk me into it?

PS I don't yet know how to ride a motorcycle. :)

rumatt
10-24-2015, 10:17 AM
This guy liked it.

https://youtu.be/qIBUfW7xj-w

equ
10-25-2015, 08:38 PM
I love riding in and around the city. This bike is clean, but if I had to commute, it'd be the one (my r1200r is the "too nice" bike).

Anyway, it's sold.

Matt, for any thoughts on motorcycling, I'm happy to chat & share. It's not as meaningful in Manhattan where life is too tight and other transport is so available. It does make more sense in Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City etc. in the more spread out boroughs or towns. Of course, I'm now at the point where I couldn't live without a motorbike, even in Hong Kong or Manhattan.

equ
10-25-2015, 08:38 PM
SOLD.

rumatt
10-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks equ. I wouldn't use it to get around Manhattan so much as to commute to and from Westchester. But I don't think I'm serious about it enough particularly since winter is coming.

If in the spring I still have the itch I'll post up and maybe ask for some help picking the right bike.

3LOU5
10-26-2015, 11:04 PM
I love riding in and around the city. This bike is clean, but if I had to commute, it'd be the one (my r1200r is the "too nice" bike).

Anyway, it's sold.

Matt, for any thoughts on motorcycling, I'm happy to chat & share. It's not as meaningful in Manhattan where life is too tight and other transport is so available. It does make more sense in Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City etc. in the more spread out boroughs or towns. Of course, I'm now at the point where I couldn't live without a motorbike, even in Hong Kong or Manhattan.

Man, more power to you.

I absolutely HATE riding in the city. It's just WAY too stressful dealing with so many variables. It takes the joy out of riding.

Give me a long desert road with scenery as far as the eyes can see, or a twisty mountain road that's rarely traveled and I'm good....

equ
10-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I completely agree, Lou. I guess I should qualify. I love riding in the city compared to the other awful transportation alternatives. Driving congestion, overcrowded potentially smelly public transport with dark stations. I generally ride on nights and weekends, I can't imagine commuting would be much fun beyond very, very occasionally (though I've done it).

If weather is bad enough to clear out the roads a bit, I'll drive. If it's nice out and everyone took their car out, I'll moto.

equ
10-28-2015, 09:12 AM
Bike went to a good home and I needed to see that. I've only been riding for five and a half years and I owned this one for over three. It was a swiss army knife, did everything ok, city, highway, twisties, packed dirt but was not the master of any. Actually no, it was the best bike to drive in the city, through congestion and potholes.

I now have two "big" bikes that were both kind of top of the line in their day. The ducati multistrada 1100S has some of the GS's convenience in the city. Also tall with a good suspension. However its sporty Ohlins are tuned for a different level of carving. The GS's mushy springs/dampers were perfect for the moon surface craters. Also the multi is a ducati, so it needs more clutch and feathering up to 2.5k rpm and then takes off like a banshee at 3.5k 4k+... Absolutely feels faster than the paper specs.

The r1200r is an awesome bike. Still in honeymoon period. Love the electronic ESA suspension, especially good for switching between riding single and with passenger. That said, the ride is not designed around NYC craters so it's not as capable as a dual sport on those surfaces.

Also both big bikes are air cooled, something to watch in stop & go. The Ducati recently got a tune that makes it run smooth and cool so I'm curious to see how it will do this coming summer.