PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever want to own an exotic

Alan
10-11-2015, 01:45 PM
This is a topic I don't think I've seen here before ...

The main issue isn't the cost of the car being a used Gallardo can be had for the same price as a new 911 but it's the maintenance costs and reliability ... The exotics scare me ... It seems a $10k maintenance bill isn't uncommon and that drives me nuts ... Any little problem can cost tens of thousands of dollars. My friend had a F430 convertible for the last 3 years with only 10,000 miles, he went to sell it and when the potential buyer had the Ferrari dealer ppi the car it ended up needing about $5k to $6k for some little things that he ended having to get done to get rid of it .. That is a huge bill

Anyway just wondering if anyone here has considered it at one time or another .. Heck who hasn't dreamed of owning the magnum pi car.

Plaz
10-11-2015, 02:05 PM
That's scary, in addition to just the daily unwanted attention and amplified paranoia about door dings, valets, etc.

Money aside, I think the highest end car I could be comfortable with as a car I'd actually use would be some 911 variant. Nice, but not enough to garner traffic-stopping attention and gas pump harassment (I've had all I can handle of that shit even with just my lowly 1M), and not so precious as to have to freak out about every pebble thrown up by the semi or RAV4 in front of it.

I might feel differently if I still lived in L.A. or the CA central coast or something.

kognito
10-11-2015, 03:41 PM
I have lusted over many cars over the length of my lifetime, but I think the car I have lusted over longest is the M1

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/asphalt/images/c/cd/BMW_M1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150612182302

I could never afford one, and where would you even have it serviced?

But what a beauty

Alan
10-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Those M1's are insanely expensive ... The Price is in a league way over even new Ferrari's ...

Here is a beautiful Gallardo though the interior is a little loud though it's less then a new 911

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Gallardo-Coupe-/121780289947?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c5aabc19b&item=121780289947

John V
10-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Zero desire to own a Lambo. I used to want a Ferrari (desire peaked around the 458 era), but realized a few years ago that I doubt I would ever use it. My interests lean towards the "you build it" variety these days.

3LOU5
10-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Exotics are WAY too expensive to maintain.

That said, I'd want something that's all engine in a small car, and something relatively easy to work on.

Something like this:

http://pre06.deviantart.net/aeb1/th/pre/f/2014/291/2/6/shelby_cobra_427__1965__by_laffonte-d839my2.jpg

Not a true exotic (imo) by any means, but sure to stir the senses.

clyde
10-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Current exotics don't do anything positive for me. The cars themselves leave me cold and their ridiculously obscene cost makes me think negative thoughts of their owners.

If circumstances were to line up, I'd buy a Pantera.

Lotus Esprits have been catching my eye lately and they are stupidly cheap (which makes me think one would probably have to be stupid to buy one, so I don't look deeply).

When they were more current, I didn't care for the Ferrarii 308/328. In recent years I've begun to appreciate them.

Beyond that, meh. Some have been beautiful, some have hit performance numbers. Mostly, they're not real. Though, so fuck them.

Josh (PA)
10-12-2015, 11:21 AM
What's the ownership costs on your R8 and nix been like?
Are they considered different enough from f cars and lambs to change the cost of ownership?

I'd like to own a 3 pedal open top Italian car some day, but that desire has waned as I have gotten older.

The car I've been thinking about most recently is a Z8. They are pretty in lemans over cream.

dan
10-12-2015, 11:38 AM
The car I've been thinking about most recently is a Z8. They are pretty in lemans over cream.

Topaz...they didn't come in LeMans Blue

kognito
10-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Exotics are WAY too expensive to maintain.

That said, I'd want something that's all engine in a small car, and something relatively easy to work on.

Something like this:

http://pre06.deviantart.net/aeb1/th/pre/f/2014/291/2/6/shelby_cobra_427__1965__by_laffonte-d839my2.jpg

Not a true exotic (imo) by any means, but sure to stir the senses.

I built one of those, in the form of a kit car that started with a Mustang II

I failed miserably

Alan
10-12-2015, 11:54 AM
What's the ownership costs on your R8 and nix been like?
Are they considered different enough from f cars and lambs to change the cost of ownership?

I'd like to own a 3 pedal open top Italian car some day, but that desire has waned as I have gotten older.

I've only had to replace tire's, had an alignment done and an oil change so the costs have been the normal costs of any car, some costly issues can be the clutch which I think runs around $6k and there is an issue with some R8's that experience leaking magnesium shocks which costs an insane $10k to replace (this one worries me) it would suck to have to pay $10k just for shocks.

My cars been to the dealer a few times for some issues but I purchased a warranty from the dealer so everything has been covered.

One strange thing with the R8 is when they work on the car it isn't unusual for them to have to remove the rear bumper to do work on it so this adds to the labor charge plus I'm always worried they are going to scratch up the bumper.

The only other costs I know of is every 2 years you need to change the brake fluid which btw is the same requirement the 911 has ... I haven't really checked into anything else so there might be more requirements.

If anything the 911 is more costly because the dealer prices at Porsche are ridiculous, I spent $700 recently on an oil change and brake fluid change.

lupinsea
10-12-2015, 12:02 PM
While I'm not going to say I'd never want to own an exotic I'll say that it's extremely hard to imagine getting one.

1) we're not in the income bracket where it would be comfortable owning one

and

2) by the time we get there we'll probably be "too grown up" to want one anyways.

My wife and I do alright income wise but we're probably at the low end of the spectrum for the board here. And our ownership of the BMW made me realize that while we can stretch to get into something like a used ZHP (~$27k as CPO at the time) it wasn't always a comfortable situation. Higher maintenance costs started to get to us after a while as well as always worrying about the car. It was a great car to have for a few years but we were glad to see it go when it was time for it to go.

I've felt a lot more relaxed as we've stepped down on our cars with the last two purchases (me: ZHP ---> Miata, her: Volvo V50 ---> Forester).

And as I look to replace my Miata in the months ahead I'm really not comfortable trying to squeak into a higher end car (let alone anything remotely considered an exotic). Higher maintenance and repair costs associated with the higher end cars are a turn off.

And this is similar to my thoughts on an exotic. The maintenance and up keeps seem like they'd be a nightmare cost and hassle wise.

3LOU5
10-12-2015, 09:46 PM
.... I spent $700 recently on an oil change and brake fluid change.

Wow. That's friggen insane.

I think the recent oil change and brake fluid change for my BMW was 1/10 of that.

No wonder I don't own a Porsche....

:lol:

equ
10-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Rather strangely, I've owned more bmw & porsches than I can count. None of them were exotic. My first porsche a 996 aerokit back in '04 got some attention, and now the GT4 gets tremendous attention, good and bad.

Much like an R8, the GT4 is an exotic with a warranty and regular car maintenance (though tires & brakes & oil will cost more). It also needs two car width driveways and entries and exits. It's more than enough exotic for me, actually too much. I've never hit a bad pothole with it, nor scraped beyond a slight touch, but it means taking extreme care and having less fun. The attention is the worst though, especially wannabe racers and tailgaters.

People have seriously stopped owning cars around here, especially those under 35 so it does stick out. (Strangely enough Travis Okulski from Jalopnik and now Road & Track lives a block away).

I'm with Plaz, JV and Clyde here. The image of the exotic owner is not something I'd like to project. You might say 'image' be damned, but it does affect things, how other cars treat you, how cops treat you, etc. etc. Old exotics don't have that image, but I don't have the mechanical skills to back that up.

If/when I get out of the GT4, a Carrera, Cayman or Boxster S will do just fine. I have zero interest in ever owning a ferrari. I have a 400hp mid-engine aerokitted beast Stuttgart so I - roughly - know how it will feel. I've also had two nice Ducatis and one nice Moto Guzzi as well as rental Alfas.

I'm not sure I have the Aston v8 out of my system quite. But reason will take over and I'll end up with a 911 if I go in that direction. :eeps:

That's scary, in addition to just the daily unwanted attention and amplified paranoia about door dings, valets, etc.

I might feel differently if I still lived in L.A. or the CA central coast or something.

Zero desire to own a Lambo. I used to want a Ferrari (desire peaked around the 458 era), but realized a few years ago that I doubt I would ever use it. My interests lean towards the "you build it" variety these days.

Current exotics don't do anything positive for me. The cars themselves leave me cold and their ridiculously obscene cost makes me think negative thoughts of their owners.

When they were more current, I didn't care for the Ferrarii 308/328. In recent years I've begun to appreciate them.

clyde
10-12-2015, 10:00 PM
I have a 400hp mid-engine aerokitted beast Stuttgart so I - roughly - know how it will feel.

That's the other part I neglected to mention. 400hp is easily and cheaply available today. The performance capability you pay extra for in exotics is something you can't use in the real world. So, unless you're going to track it, why?

equ
10-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Well, 400hp in a finely tuned, perfectly braking, riding, coming-together-as-a-whole machine is very different from a cheaper I-stuck-a-v8/turbo-boost/nitrous-in-some-platform. Perhaps a pro or a near-pro can extract almost the same speed from the cheap and the expensive 400hp, but for a normal person that coming-together of the whole car makes it much more accessible and pleasurable. The gt4 is a cut or two above other boxsters & caymans, basically in the same class as a Carrera S. It feels a tiny bit faster in a straight line, a good bit more urgent in general response and brakes much better. But it's smaller inside. A 991S with the right options (sports PASM) drives beautifully. It turns better than it has a right to with a great cabin and good visibility. These are $100k cars, and you feel the difference from a $70k car in the first mile.

bren
10-13-2015, 08:53 AM
I'd love a barn full of exotics. But I'd need to start playing the lottery first.

robg
10-13-2015, 09:43 AM
I've had a chance to drive some exotics including the Gallardo. The Gallardo left me feeling a bit cold - it just wasn't much fun to drive other than the exhaust note. I think part of the issue is the width of most exotics - we are talking 7 series girth.

That being said, I have an irrational attraction to the Maserati gran turismo. Yeah it's too big, an automatic and I hear the interior plastic actually melts. Would probably compete with lighting hundred dollar bills on fire for the fastest way to lose money. Would also love a front engine v12 Ferrari.

Otoh, I've enjoyed all of the 911s I've driven including a base 991. So that would have to be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone
10-26-2015, 11:50 AM
I have lusted over many cars over the length of my lifetime, but I think the car I have lusted over longest is the M1

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/asphalt/images/c/cd/BMW_M1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150612182302

I could never afford one, and where would you even have it serviced?

But what a beauty

I should have bought one instead of the E46 M3. IN 01/02, M1s were going for the mid 60s.

Pinecone
10-26-2015, 11:51 AM

Lotus Esprits have been catching my eye lately and they are stupidly cheap (which makes me think one would probably have to be stupid to buy one, so I don't look deeply).

Beyond that, meh. Some have been beautiful, some have hit performance numbers. Mostly, they're not real. Though, so fuck them.

Pantera would be high on my list.

First time I was in South Africa, they were selling VERY cheap. I actually checked into how much to ship one home. :)

Loti are fun, fast, and cheap.

kognito
10-26-2015, 06:24 PM

This one is for sale about 1/2 mile away from my house.

http://www.mainlymusclecars.com/#!detomaso-pantera/c161z

Watch the video, I've never seen a motor compartment like this before! Too much money IMHO

If my S4 doesn't sell in the next few weeks, these guys at Mainly Muscle will be handling the consignment sale for me.

3LOU5
10-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Around 1997 I had a chance to buy a used Ferrari 308, the model similar to the one used on "Magnum P.I.".

I've always loved the shape of that car, and have always wondered what would it be like to drive one.

But I didn't have $27,000 burning a hole in my pocket at the time....

:lol:

John V
10-27-2015, 05:52 AM
I have a coworker that used to have a 308. Talking to him about that thing reminded me why I don't own a Ferrari.

He now drives a C7 Z51.

equ
10-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Putting my money where my mouth is, or taking it out for that matter. Put my gt4 on the market, I don't think I'll ever own anything close to it in 'exoticity'.

Jeff_DML
10-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Putting my money where my mouth is, or taking it out for that matter. Put my gt4 on the market, I don't think I'll ever own anything close to it in 'exoticity'.

:eek: you serious, guessing you are making money selling it?

FC
10-27-2015, 01:32 PM
The 997TT has radically changed my view on power on a street car (and as a result the desire for a fast exotic). Similarly Lemons racing has changed my view on track cars.

A sports car with tons of power is dumb for the street. Frankly, I think the 987S (+/- ~15%) was about the limit to be able to at least have some fun. That said, IMO, ironically, I feel I could get more use out of a very powerful family car. Those get loaded down with people or things, and you are more likely to need stoplight to stoplight, or highway passing/merging performance. To that end, I can see me owning a powerful performance sedan/wagon with a bunch of low-end torque.

As far as the track, it really is amazing how much fun our POS '96 cabrio with good pads and sticky tires can be. Sure, it could be faster, but I bet right now that car is 2000lbs and has maybe 120hp. Of course the exciting thing about lemons is that you drive as aggressively and close to other cars and the car's limits as you probably ever will.

Hard to imagine a Miata race car wouldn't be enough to check all the boxes performance wise. So why drop stupid money on Cup GT3's? Or take your 100k car and have to be careful about scuffing it (or much worse!).

All that said, if I hit the Powerball, I'll probably get many expensive and fast cars.

Jeff_DML
11-12-2015, 04:42 PM
this song made me think of this thread:)

UagWv4irXww

Alan
11-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Tell me for $55k this isn't tempting ... Is this considered an exotic in your book ... I would say kind of yes but it's not a supercar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Martin-Vantage-Vantage-19-Inch-Wheels-6-Speed-/321925263182?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4af43daf4e:g:m-EAAOSwVL1WBaCf&item=321925263182

clyde
11-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Tell me for $55k this isn't tempting ... Is this considered an exotic in your book ... I would say kind of yes but it's not a supercar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Martin-Vantage-Vantage-19-Inch-Wheels-6-Speed-/321925263182?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4af43daf4e:g:m-EAAOSwVL1WBaCf&item=321925263182

Buy my dad's XK8 when I bring it back in January for $10k. They're like basically the same thing, but you'll have $45k left over. :thumbup:

Theo
11-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Buy my dad's XK8 when I bring it back in January for $10k. They're like basically the same thing, but you'll have $45k left over. :thumbup:

I thought the DB9 and the XK8 were the twins, not the vantage. I always wanted one of these. That is a very hot car even to this day but there are many other things for that price I would want that are newer.

Strange that the description says red:

"2007 Aston Martin Vantage V8 Nero Daytona- Ferrari Red Fox/Obsidian Black 9k mi"

bren
11-20-2015, 09:44 AM

Nope. I don't happen to have a link to the local exotic car dealer nearby or anything....
http://mobile.eurostarautos.com/vehicle/used-2007-aston-martin-vantage-6sp-trans-1728622.cfml#ar_top

http://images.iimanager.com/vdata/eurostarautos_com/1728622_x640_10.jpg

clyde
11-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I thought the DB9 and the XK8 were the twins, not the vantage.

The DB7 and XK100 share a platform. Still, though. Basically the same thing anyway. ;)

zach
11-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Nope. I don't happen to have a link to the local exotic car dealer nearby or anything....
http://mobile.eurostarautos.com/vehicle/used-2007-aston-martin-vantage-6sp-trans-1728622.cfml#ar_top

http://images.iimanager.com/vdata/eurostarautos_com/1728622_x640_10.jpg

Bren, what about this (http://www.eurostarautos.com/vehicle/used-2005-porsche-911-carrera-s-2086375.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top)one?

bren
11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Bren, what about this (http://www.eurostarautos.com/vehicle/used-2005-porsche-911-carrera-s-2086375.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top)one?

Yeah, I thought about going to take a look at that one. The power kit is hard to find, but dubious IMS, brown interior with no sport seats, and no diff.

zach
11-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I thought about going to take a look at that one. The power kit is hard to find, but dubious IMS, brown interior with no sport seats, and no diff.

Yeah, all good points.

JST
11-20-2015, 04:14 PM

I don't think the IMS is an issue on the S cars, is it?

Jeff_DML
11-20-2015, 04:15 PM
I don't think the IMS is an issue on the S cars, is it?

I thought it was and I thought the DI fixed it

Edit: DI did not fix it but the engine with it did

JST
11-20-2015, 04:18 PM
I thought it was and I thought the DI fixed it

Edit: DI did not fix it but the engine with it did

Sorry, I meant I thought that the IMS wasn't an issue with the 3.8L engines, even pre-2006. I may be wrong about that.

DI definitely fixed it (in '09), since that engine got rid of the intermediate shaft altogether.

bren
11-20-2015, 04:37 PM
They're all susceptible; after early '05 they went to an even smaller single row bearing and can't even do a retrofit with the engine in car.

Alan
11-20-2015, 07:07 PM

It's kind of a funny thing, my dad had the same car and same color as your dad's but it was a year or two off (wheels were slightly bigger/different) ... I drove it a lot and when I sold it for him on eBay I wasn't exactly sad to see it go ... sorry :( I just wasn't into the drive ... though back in the day it was the most beautiful car around.

I had no idea they were on the same chassis DB9.

clyde
11-21-2015, 12:29 AM
It's kind of a funny thing, my dad had the same car and same color as your dad's but it was a year or two off (wheels were slightly bigger/different) ... I drove it a lot and when I sold it for him on eBay I wasn't exactly sad to see it go ... sorry :( I just wasn't into the drive ... though back in the day it was the most beautiful car around.

I had no idea they were on the same chassis DB9.

I was just f'ing with you. :)

I never would have bought a car like this for myself. I'm going to give myself a chance with it, but don't expect to keep it for long. The only thing I really want to do is make the cross country drive.

Sharp11
11-21-2015, 11:41 AM

I never would have bought a car like this for myself. I'm going to give myself a chance with it, but don't expect to keep it for long. The only thing I really want to do is make the cross country drive.

If you decide to drive it up here, let me know - I'd love to try it out. It's often one of my fantasy late night autotrader searches - for those nights when I get the bone-headed idea a once expensive roadster-cruiser might be the ultimate cheapish used car.

clyde
11-21-2015, 04:55 PM
If you decide to drive it up here, let me know - I'd love to try it out. It's often one of my fantasy late night autotrader searches - for those nights when I get the bone-headed idea a once expensive roadster-cruiser might be the ultimate cheapish used car.

Hard to imagine circumstances where I would drive it up here (I'm actually here until tomorrow morning) since no one would fit the nicely upholstered parcel shelf masquerading as a back seat.

Anytime you come down, you're welcome to a test drive.

Alan
11-21-2015, 05:40 PM

I know you were kidding around ... it is just funny our dads had the same car !!

There must be something about silver Jag XK8's convertible's because my next door neighbor inherited the exact same car as your dads too.

clyde
11-21-2015, 10:00 PM
I know you were kidding around ... it is just funny our dads had the same car !!

There must be something about silver Jag XK8's convertible's because my next door neighbor inherited the exact same car as your dads too.

No offense to your father or neighbor's father, but...

HCiGusVYOgY

equ
11-22-2015, 07:03 PM

2005 is the worst IMS year. Hardly any 997 has the elusive diff. I bought a diff for the 987.2S I had, sold the car before installing. Not sure if Quaife UK make it for the 997.

bren
11-22-2015, 07:34 PM
2005 is the worst IMS year. Hardly any 997 has the elusive diff. I bought a diff for the 987.2S I had, sold the car before installing. Not sure if Quaife UK make it for the 997.

There are a few aftermarket diff options, but those won't do me any good with stock class autox rules, and it wasn't a factory option until the .2 cars anyway.

dan
11-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Apparently a guy at work has an F40 coming.

JST
11-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Coming from where?

dan
11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Somewhere in Europe. He has put money down but he still says he won't get too excited until it's in his driveway.

He has lots of cars.

Carrera GT, Ford GT, on the list for the new GT...

Alan
11-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Somewhere in Europe. He has put money down but he still says he won't get too excited until it's in his driveway.

He has lots of cars.

Carrera GT, Ford GT, on the list for the new GT...

Those are some serious cars :thumbup::thumbup:

ff
11-24-2015, 07:34 PM

How cool would that be? Coolest car ever.

Jeff_DML
11-24-2015, 07:42 PM
How cool would that be? Coolest car ever.

It is a cool car but I think I would prefer a NA engine ferrari:dunno:

Josh (PA)
11-24-2015, 07:55 PM
It is a cool car but I think I would prefer a NA engine ferrari:dunno:

I love the F40, but if I was going this category, I'd go 288 GTO first. I think it is the most beautiful car ever made.

http://www.luxe-brokerage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Ferrari-288-GT0-Red-Front-Quarter-Angle-4-st.jpg

clyde
11-24-2015, 10:05 PM
I love the F40, but if I was going this category, I'd go 288 GTO first. I think it is the most beautiful car ever made.

http://www.luxe-brokerage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Ferrari-288-GT0-Red-Front-Quarter-Angle-4-st.jpg

I didn't like the 288, 328 or 308 styles when they were current, but have really grown on me in the past few years.

blee
11-25-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm more of a 355 guy myself. I would love to own one of those one day.

JST
11-25-2015, 11:22 AM
The 288GTO is my favorite modern Ferrari.

But I wouldn't turn down an F40.

Pinecone
12-16-2015, 07:14 AM
I have a coworker that used to have a 308. Talking to him about that thing reminded me why I don't own a Ferrari.

And look at the performance of one, and you would be driving it for the thrill of saying you drove a Ferrari. :)

But I remember at the shop that does some work for me, a 308, that had coughed up the reverse gear. The gear alone was $1500. And you had to pull the entire drive package to get to it.

Pinecone
12-16-2015, 07:18 AM
I had a chance at a FATT event to drive an F430 Scuderia on the track.

Amazing car, but in some ways, boring. The car is just too good. In many ways, the 500 Abarth is more fun to drive.

dan
01-22-2016, 12:51 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1480/23914254664_76bb69a04f_z.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1644/24174658629_64120f7c69_z.jpg

dan
01-26-2016, 01:47 PM
So he was taking the car to a mechanic today because it was running rough/misfiring and it started smoking on the way there. Had to be towed the rest of the way. :o

JST
01-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Ouch.

ZBB
01-26-2016, 02:03 PM
The 288GTO is my favorite modern Ferrari.

But I wouldn't turn down an F40.

I spoke with a former owner of a 250GTO a couple years ago at one of the Scottsdale auctions. He owned it in the early 90s -- bought on the dip after the late 80s collector car bubble crashed. He actually tracked it a few times -- even though it was worth about $2.5 million. He sold it after a couple years for a tidy profit, and had no regrets selling it -- even though they are worth ~$38 million today. Interesting guy.

I once was walking over a motorway overpass in France, and noticed a car carrier going by. There were 4 or 5 F40s on that car carrier (and it was open...).

bren
01-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Ouch.

Sounds like he should've started with the tow rather than attempting the drive. I bet that's going to be some exclusive hindsight.

dan
06-14-2016, 12:51 PM
F40 guy just bought at 2003 Saleen S7

dan
04-12-2021, 11:55 AM
F40 Guy has now also bought a Matech Ford GT1 and a Ford GT MK II