PDA

View Full Version : These Are All The Manual Transmission Cars Available Today

nate
08-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Helpful list: http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/bestride/these-are-all-manual-transmission-cars-available-today

nate
08-27-2015, 11:57 AM
They missed the BMW 3/4 series. That's still available with a stick.

ff
08-27-2015, 06:33 PM
I'm back to the point where I can drive a manual again (had a small muscle tear in a bad spot), so I'm anxious. Only problem is that my daughter is going to be driving, and my son not far behind, which pretty well puts the cabbash on anything with 3 pedals. Maybe a cheap, used Miata on the side...

ZBB
08-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Teach your kids to drive stick…

Buy a $500 VW Beetle for the training sessions and sell it when done...

wdc330i
08-27-2015, 09:52 PM
They missed the BMW 3/4 series. That's still available with a stick.

They're there.

Sharp11
08-27-2015, 10:11 PM
They're there.

I see the M versions listed, but not the more plebeian models.

Jeff_DML
08-27-2015, 10:11 PM
They're there.

M3/4 but not normal 3 series? :dunno:

clyde
08-28-2015, 12:19 AM
I'm back to the point where I can drive a manual again (had a small muscle tear in a bad spot), so I'm anxious. Only problem is that my daughter is going to be driving, and my son not far behind, which pretty well puts the cabbash on anything with 3 pedals. Maybe a cheap, used Miata on the side...

Why wouldn't you teach them to drive a stick? "Kid, you wanna drive? You gotta learn to drive a stick."

Teach your kids to drive stick…

Buy a $500 VW Beetle for the training sessions and sell it when done...

Why buy another car specifically for this? I've never understood. The realistic worst that can happen is a little extra wear on the clutch, so maybe you might have to replace it a few months earlier than you otherwise would have. And if it's a newish car and you post here, odds are pretty good you'll be long done with the car before you get there anyway. I mean, I gues if you're an absolute horrible teacher you could let you student fuck it up quick, but come on...

bren
08-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Why wouldn't you teach them to drive a stick? "Kid, you wanna drive? You gotta learn to drive a stick."

Why buy another car specifically for this? I've never understood. The realistic worst that can happen is a little extra wear on the clutch, so maybe you might have to replace it a few months earlier than you otherwise would have. And if it's a newish car and you post here, odds are pretty good you'll be long done with the car before you get there anyway. I mean, I gues if you're an absolute horrible teacher you could let you student fuck it up quick, but come on...

What he said.

kognito
08-28-2015, 10:43 AM

yeah, and kids learn quickly

TD
08-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I totally can't understand why you wouldn't require your kids to learn stick. Ours know they will only be allowed to take the driving test in a manual and that they'll have to learn. But driving stick give us the added benefit of limiting their ability to use their iPhones while driving as their right hands will still have a job to do. And it'll keep their friends from driving their cars since their friends will almost certainly not be able to drive stick. I do have to admit, though, that we have instilled in our kids that it's cool to be able to do things other people can't so that has them pretty bought in to the idea of learning stick.

clyde
08-28-2015, 12:59 PM
driving stick give us the added benefit of limiting their ability to use their iPhones while driving as their right hands will still have a job to do.

Teaching abstinence prevents teen pregnancy, too.

I am sure more than a few people here can recall simultaneously smoking, drinking, eating and fumbling for a cassette while driving a manual with more people than seat belts...without limitation.

TD
08-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Teaching abstinence prevents teen pregnancy, too.

I am sure more than a few people here can recall simultaneously smoking, drinking, eating and fumbling for a cassette while driving a manual with more people than seat belts...without limitation.
Yeah, and I've driven steering with my knees as well.

But at least when they're starting out, I can see it being a factor that works in their favor.

wdc330i
08-28-2015, 02:44 PM
M3/4 but not normal 3 series? :dunno:

Ah, yes. Must have just corrected in my head.

Sharp11
08-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Buying the cheap beater to teach them on, then selling it also sends the wrong message I think, it's like saying "here's a relic from the past, here's what it feels like and when you're done learning it, we'll buy you something 21st century ... like a "tesla", which has no transmission. ;)

ff
08-29-2015, 05:20 PM

Trying to think of a nice way to explain it. My oldest would have some issues with coordination and ability to concentrate. That's not to say that she couldn't learn. But being realistic about it, the whole stick-driving thing would not end well.

And, shoot, mainstream cars with 3 pedals aren't going to be around a whole lot longer anyhow, so why bother?

clyde
08-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Trying to think of a nice way to explain it. My oldest would have some issues with coordination and ability to concentrate. That's not to say that she couldn't learn. But being realistic about it, the whole stick-driving thing would not end well.

And, shoot, mainstream cars with 3 pedals aren't going to be around a whole lot longer anyhow, so why bother?

My oldest also has coordination issues, but she's still going to learn to drive a stick if she wants a license. At this point, it doesn't look like she's going to want to drive at all, though.