PDA

View Full Version : Why am I selling the s4?

equ
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
In a moment of frustration today, I googled 'audi s4 bumps ride suspension'. I was frustrated because I'm not keeping something that is quite special and awesome.

On the first page of hits was this

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/columns/0707_dyer_consequences/

Well, this is not the only reason but sort of gets to the core... I have started taking the cayman into the city at times as I just cannot stand driving the s4 over bad roads. I realize that all my good times with the s4 are on long drives, but a big reason for the 2nd car along the cayman is so I can drive it locally around NYC (which the cayman does just fine, btw, as long as you're careful about where you tread).

What's annoying is that I perseverated on the s4 vs. the specB and now this article comes out...

equ
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
In fact, this weekend I definitely made my mind up to sell the s4, as sad as that would be. I'm either going to get a subaru or an a4 1.8T sports pack (which rides/steers better than either s4 or b7 2.0T) and mod the hell out of them.

Alternatively, we'll get a subie for my gf and I can get a nice bmw of my choice but that's a more involved/dependent kind of plan.

FC
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
If it makes you feel better, the suspension of the V70R sucks too, but since the dampers are electronically controled and I have three settings, I can at least get by. Still, "comfort" is not all that comfortable - even with 17" wheels. "Advanced" is so outrageously stiff, and amplifies any road imperfection so much, that I rarely use it (though it virtually eliminates any roll, dive, squat). I just basically toggle between sport and comfort, but my 330i ZHP with no switches is a much better suspension in every way 95% of the time.

From my test drive, the Cayman S is an even more impressive suspension.

Jeff_DML
08-29-2007, 11:41 AM
first article I have read that actually like the spec b suspension:confused:

would stiffer springs help the s4 ride?:dunno:

Alan
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
In fact, this weekend I definitely made my mind up to sell the s4, as sad as that would be. I'm either going to get a subaru or an a4 1.8T sports pack (which rides/steers better than either s4 or b7 2.0T) and mod the hell out of them.

Alternatively, we'll get a subie for my gf and I can get a nice bmw of my choice but that's a more involved/dependent kind of plan.

What exactly are you looking for in a second car ? Also why would you go for the 1.8 over the 2.0 A4 ?

Modding a car sounds like fun but the frusteration that goes with it is rarely taken into account when going through the decision process and just forget about it if you have an actual problem with the car ... Audi will love telling you how it isn't covered under warranty due to your mods. Who wants that hassle especially when you already have a sports car for those times that you need it.

The factory builds the best cars and a little mod here and there can make them a bit more to your liking ... why not go for a nice used 3.2 A4 ... it has to be the best of all worlds plus like I said above you have the Cayman for those times you needs to go balls out !!

If it is affordable I'd highly recommend the 335 ... I love mine and find it to be the perfect compliment to a sports car.

equ
09-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Good suggestions..

I liked 1.8's heavier steering better than the overboosted 2.0. Also the 1.8 is less powerful yet smoother, 2.0 is so dieselish, especially around idle. It does have power and possibly reliability advantages and a crisper clutch.

I've started having some strong second thoughts about selling the s4 at all. It's actually pretty nice. If I lower the pressures a bit, 38f/36r, ride isn't that bad either (well better than 40f/40r). It has a decent clutch and out of the box way better handling & power than the a4s.

Now that my gf has her very own Civic Si (which she loves) the s4 is not doing the crazy mileage anymore (we put 8500 miles in 4 months). I really don't need the kind of performance it has but it is hard to argue for an a4 at this point. We'll see, I may budge for the perfect a4 (if there is such a thing).

I really really like the 335 (or even the 330) as a sports car complement. I've never liked the 3.0a4's but I've never driven a 3.2. I could in theory afford a 335xi on top of the CayS but it would be a little ridiculous, I don't even drive to work. Two almost new cars that add up to more than 100k in value just depreciating...

I may check out some used 330xi's. I know I've talked them down in the past, and yes they suck compared to rwd bmws. The question is if they suck compared to audis. Probably compared to the s4. I miss having a bmw though. If I find the xi's & a4's wanting, I may take my car off the market (there is serious interest close to my revised asking price).

equ
09-29-2007, 11:21 AM
first article I have read that actually like the spec b suspension:confused:

would stiffer springs help the s4 ride?:dunno:

Other than the lean it's actually a decent suspension for a daily. I didn't find it too soft.

I really cannot figure out the s4 suspension - I think people say that often that they're undersprung. Sometimes it's comfortable, sometimes not. It does stay much flatter than subarus in turns and transitions.

equ
09-29-2007, 11:28 AM
In fact, this weekend I definitely made my mind up to sell the s4, as sad as that would be

So much for "definitely".. :lol:

equ
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
The buyer is flying in tomorrow. In fine perseveration fashion, I've had several moments this week where I almost sent him a check for his plane tickets. I can't even look at the s4 - it makes me that sad.

dredmo
10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
The buyer is flying in tomorrow. In fine perseveration fashion, I've had several moments this week where I almost sent him a check for his plane tickets. I can't even look at the s4 - it makes me that sad.

Let it go, if it loves you it will... No nevermind, you'll never see it again.

Don't make a mistake here, I made a big mistake when I sold my Jetta, I made a great decision when I sold my BMW. The emotions after the sale are not obvious until it is too late.