PDA

View Full Version : 325iX with S54 swap

JST
08-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Wow. I mean...huh.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-325ix-s54-swap-awd/

Josh (PA)
08-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Just rent a damn garage someplace outside the city already... WTF.

lip277
08-05-2015, 12:29 AM
lol

I looked at that (online) and thought... Ummm... Maybe if I ..... (insert something designed to convince the wife and my inner practical self that this would be a good idea)

I woke up right after though.

:)

Is of interest though.

I'm wanting to do something 'different' - and for those that have been around here for a while - you know that is a pretty open ended statement.
I've thought about everything from a nice A/S5 to this E30 to an old Mercedes W124/126.
Yeah - all over the map.

kognito
08-05-2015, 09:45 AM
lol

I'm wanting to do something 'different' - and for those that have been around here for a while - you know that is a pretty open ended statement.
I've thought about everything from a nice A/S5 to this E30 to an old Mercedes W124/126.
Yeah - all over the map.

How about an S4 ragtop?

I might be putting it up for sale in a few months.

Even if not interested, we should get together so you can drive it before I part with it.

We are contemplating moving back east, and if we do, the S4 won't make the trip with us.

JST
08-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Am interested in Nick's thoughts on this car. I'm not considering bidding...but I'm not not considering bidding, either.

Nick M3
08-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Manual brakes are a question mark (common with swaps, but very easy to get wrong). Also, the welding on the oil pan is more than a little bit sketchy.

I'd operate under the assumption that the exhaust is colossally loud as well.

I did show it to the wife, but she doesn't seem to want it. You'd have be somewhat careful with the drivetrain - the front diffs are not meant to take this kind of power. The transfer case and VC should be find, though. (Or at least as fine as they normally are - you have to be *very* careful about tire pressures if you don't want to kill the VC.)

JST
08-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Manual brakes are a question mark (common with swaps, but very easy to get wrong). Also, the welding on the oil pan is more than a little bit sketchy.

I'd operate under the assumption that the exhaust is colossally loud as well.

I did show it to the wife, but she doesn't seem to want it. You'd have be somewhat careful with the drivetrain - the front diffs are not meant to take this kind of power. The transfer case and VC should be find, though. (Or at least as fine as they normally are - you have to be *very* careful about tire pressures if you don't want to kill the VC.)

Interesting. I had completely written it off on the assumption that they must have ditched the AC, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

In all honestly, I'd rather have a RWD swap without the AWD bits. It seems kind of nutty to drive a car like this in any kind of inclement weather. But it's a goofy enough car that I may bid out of simple boredom (and because the chances of me ever getting into an air cooled 911 are probably zero at this point).

At the same time, it looks like the bidding will probably climb past my "eh, fuck, why not" threshold, so I may stay on the sidelines.

Nick M3
08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
AC is pretty easy, especially when you have a line crimping tool like I do. :p

lip277
08-05-2015, 01:05 PM
How about an S4 ragtop?

I might be putting it up for sale in a few months.

Even if not interested, we should get together so you can drive it before I part with it.

Sounds great.... Would be good to do soon. If nothing else, take advantage of the weather (before we turn back into Seattle... lol)