PDA

View Full Version : Someone in FL got a KILLER deal on my uncle's Merc

3LOU5
07-03-2015, 01:47 PM
To refresh (from a previous thread):

I've only driven one Merc in my life. It looked like this (same color too):

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/65274/65274_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

It was my uncle's, who was a physician. It was his pride and joy, and he kept that thing so clean you can eat off of it, engine bay included. It never saw a rainy day, and if it did, it was purely unintentional.

My uncle is retired now, but his Merc STILL resides in his garage. And the thing STILL looks like it just drove off the showroom floor !!

Two things I remember about his car. When I shut the door and drove it, I remember how "vault-like" the car was. I REALLY felt safe in it, and I remember my uncle touting its numerous safety features. As a physician, he knew that automobile safety was his first priority, and he felt that the 450 SEL was THE safest car you can buy at the time.

I also remember how stiff the accelerator pedal was. I think that was the only thing I didn't like about it, but man, that car was pretty nice to drive on the highway.

I think he's going to will it away to one of his sons, but I'd sure like to take it off his hands one day....

(Edit: He told me that every time he takes it in for service, a few mechanics would ask him if he would sell it to them)

Update: I had to go to FL because my aunt (his wife) was on her deathbed. I noticed that my uncle didn't have his beloved Merc in his garage anymore, so I asked him whatever happened to it.

Turns out that he sold it to someone NOT related to him. Being a senior and not really knowing how much his PRISTINE Benz (with slightly less than 100k on the odometer) was actually worth, he let it go....

....for $3000.

:eek:

My jaw dropped. I should've told him I was interested in that car, and would've gladly paid MORE than his asking price.

clyde
07-03-2015, 01:54 PM
That's kind of sad to hear.

3LOU5
07-03-2015, 02:14 PM
That's kind of sad to hear.

You're right.

I found out last night that my aunt passed away in the hospice. It just seemed that ever since his wife got terribly ill months before, he just lost his will to live and was letting his high-end possessions go (like his expensive salt-water fishing tackle/gear and his Benz) at ridiculously low prices.

I have a feeling that being married to her for more than 50 years, he is going to join her quicker than anticipated....

ZBB
07-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Sad to hear about your aunt.

That gen S class is a tank. Over engineered in almost every way. I see one or two on the road every week...

lip277
07-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Yeah - sad to hear (especially about your Aunt and Uncle).

For the car... We had a 1979 300SD.... that same car with the 5 cylinder diesel engine.
We had that before we had the 1984 300SD and then the 420SEL (later body style though).

Those were the end of the 'vault' like Mercedes' cars (IMO). I still miss them.
Too bad you didn't get the opportunity to keep that car in the family.
On the other hand - I've talked to a good friend of mine who used to own an independent auto shop that specializes in MBZ. He steered me away from older V8 Benz's as their FI computers and pumps are becoming very difficult to get worked on. The later cars (mid 80's and on) are ok...

Still - a cream puff like that would have been awesome to have. Especially with the history you have with it.

kognito
07-03-2015, 04:07 PM
sorry to hear about your Aunt. Glad you got there to see her before she passed away

SCA
07-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear about you aunt.

My father owned a 1976 450SEL, purchased new ($25k) It eventually became a third car & he sold it during the summer of 1992 with 130,000+ miles for $8k.

3LOU5
07-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks everybody.

She's going to have a memorial service at the end of this week. It'll be quite a huge adjustment for my uncle, who's going to be living in a big house all alone.

It's all so incredibly sad.