PDA

View Full Version : 2016 3er changes

FC
06-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Somehow I missed this article (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-bmw-3-series-photos-and-info-news), and I must say this hasn't been brought up here much.

Maybe I am naive and gullible, but BMW does tend to respond reasonably well when backed into a corner. I really hope they manage to turn the 340i into something desirable for an enthusiast (even if it requires the M-Sport pkg or ZHP, etc).

I still fear that the M3 is what it will take to get a proper, special 3er sedan. Sadly it comes with too much power and cost, but by all accounts it is pretty damn good. I'm still waiting to get a chance to drive one. Hopefully in a couple of years they will offer a decent color on the M3.

In the meantime, maybe the new S4 or RS4 will show promise. Although I fear there will be no MT, which will mean no sale.

Just got my C&D with the M3/C63/ATS-V comparo on the cover. Look forward to reading that.

TD
06-29-2015, 03:32 PM
I think BMW is done from an enthusiast perspective. One could argue that's been the case since the Exx (pick how big of a luddite you want to be - E30, E36, E46, whatever). But it really is over now.

They realized they make more money selling Buicks than they did selling BMWs.

And we talked some about the 2016 changes in my thread where I was contemplating Euro delivery.

FC
06-29-2015, 03:48 PM
I think BMW is done from an enthusiast perspective. One could argue that's been the case since the Exx (pick how big of a luddite you want to be - E30, E36, E46, whatever). But it really is over now.

And we talked some about the 2016 changes in my thread where I was contemplating Euro delivery.

I only caught the early part of that thread. Yeah, I think you are right about the EXX comment.

The M3 is nice but in the way the old E39 M5 used to be, it seems. I really want a BMW sedan as a DD, but more and more I think I may just get a GTI and figure out what to do once the M3 has matured a bit, and all the new Audis are in.

Josh (PA)
06-29-2015, 03:58 PM

I hope you're wrong. My only gripe with the current lineup of BMWs is the steering feel/feedback (or complete lack of ). This was BMW's first attempt at electric steering. They failed miserably at it. They've heard from every 'enthusiast' avenue (magazines to CCA) that it is not acceptable or up to the expectations for the brand promise. In the past, they have reacted to these criticisms and fixed the issue (ie: 2001 e46).

IF (and that is a big IF) they fix it, it can be argued that they cater more now to enthusiast than ever before (especially compared to competition). Examples include: the track package for the 2 series, offering manual transmissions in more cars than any other premium brand, warrantied performance parts like LSD, dynamic handling packages that really work, offering PSS tires as part of the sport pack, etc. Hopefully they get their shit together and continue to serve the person who needs a 4+ seat car but still places more value on the driving experience than other aspects of car buying choices.

TD
06-29-2015, 04:02 PM
The thing is a non-sport E36 had better driving feel than a current M3/M4. So you can add all of the "track packages" you want, but they only marginally mitigate platforms that have no interest in being sporty. Oh, and they give BMW an excuse to charge you even more.

John V
06-29-2015, 04:04 PM
When I'm more interested in buying a Mustang than I am a BMW, things have gotten bad. I would have never considered buying another Ford a year ago. I sat in a new Mustang this weekend and had ... impure thoughts.

JST
06-29-2015, 04:15 PM
When I'm more interested in buying a Mustang than I am a BMW, things have gotten bad. I would have never considered buying another Ford a year ago. I sat in a new Mustang this weekend and had ... impure thoughts.

:eek:

I still haven't driven one, but just sitting in one and rowing through the gears is enough to impress. It's a totally different experience than you'd expect in that car.

clyde
06-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Funny. I was stopped next to one in traffic on the way home this evening. I spent a fair amount of time looking at the rear passenger quarter and was overwhelmed by how much I didn't like how it felt like the rear was stretched out of the car. I still may consider it when it comes time to replace the FoST, but, meh...

ZBB
06-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Ford did a good job on the new Mustang.

But I couldn't get over how huge the hood felt when sitting in the drivers seat. Gave me flashbacks to when I used to have to drive my old boss's late 80s Town Car occasionally when I was in high school.*

* My after school job was the "runner" for a jewelry store. I'd show up after school and then spend a couple hours running errands for them. Things like picking up diamonds from the diamond wholesaler, other gems from the non-diamond gemstone guy, or go sell scrap gold at a specialized pawn shop. I'd usually drive my car but could take his if I wanted (which was never), but he sometimes had me go get his car washed. It was a fun job -- although thinking back on it, the fact that they trusted some teenage kid with thousands of dollars of inventory was kind of strange. I almost lost a ~$10k emerald once -- it slipped out of the envelope it was in and rolled around my old Landcruiser, which had the doors and top off. I'm just glad it didn't fall out of the car...

Pinecone
06-30-2015, 10:30 AM

Talk to some people who have one first.

The guy who runs the FATT program at SP has a Boss 302. LOTS of work to get the brakes to last for a 20 minute track session.

Pinecone
06-30-2015, 10:32 AM
I am cautious hopeful for the M2. But also figure BMW can screw it up better than anyone.

As I commented in another thread, I had a student with an M4 recently. Nice car, FAST, but felt big and heavy. Nice, but not nice enough for me to even go to the webiste and see how much one would cost (too much I am sure).

FC
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I am cautious hopeful for the M2. But also figure BMW can screw it up better than anyone.

As I commented in another thread, I had a student with an M4 recently. Nice car, FAST, but felt big and heavy. Nice, but not nice enough for me to even go to the webiste and see how much one would cost (too much I am sure).

If they made an M2 sedan, I'm pretty sure I'd be all over it. ED makes it not awful. Also, the car comes pretty much loaded from the factory. My calculations get me one with good specs for ~60k before taxes. That's a lot, but in a world where 3ers can easily cross 50k, I think that's not so bad.

Remember, ED discount is off of the base, so the more is bundled into the base cost, the better the deal vs tons of options. Also, no guzzler tax on this gen. That was a 2k cost you had to add to the E9X M3. So out the door cost really isn't too bad compared to a similar last gen model in inflation adjusted dollars.

But no, I would never consider the M3/M4 a sports car. I just want a sports sedan.

Sharp11
06-30-2015, 04:08 PM
I hope you're wrong. My only gripe with the current lineup of BMWs is the steering feel/feedback (or complete lack of ). This was BMW's first attempt at electric steering. They failed miserably at it. They've heard from every 'enthusiast' avenue (magazines to CCA) that it is not acceptable or up to the expectations for the brand promise. In the past, they have reacted to these criticisms and fixed the issue (ie: 2001 e46).

IF (and that is a big IF) they fix it, it can be argued that they cater more now to enthusiast than ever before (especially compared to competition). Examples include: the track package for the 2 series, offering manual transmissions in more cars than any other premium brand, warrantied performance parts like LSD, dynamic handling packages that really work, offering PSS tires as part of the sport pack, etc. Hopefully they get their shit together and continue to serve the person who needs a 4+ seat car but still places more value on the driving experience than other aspects of car buying choices.

It wasn't the company's first attempt at electric steering, I think that distinction goes to the Z4 - which the version mine had, an 05, was just fine IMO.

As for "reacting to criticisms" there have been changed made in the steering for recent F series over the earliest editions. Don't know if that satisfied the critics, though.

My beef with the three is it's just too big, complex and heavy - I widh the company would build a simpler, more basic car once again.

John V
06-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Talk to some people who have one first.

The guy who runs the FATT program at SP has a Boss 302. LOTS of work to get the brakes to last for a 20 minute track session.

I mean... I'm not going to buy one. And if I did I certainly wouldn't take it to the track. I have a car that would be great at the track now and I never take it to the track. :lol: