PDA

View Full Version : Should we suck it up and keep the truck?

Melissa
08-03-2007, 02:13 PM
:confused:

We...especially me....really would prefer to have only one four-wheeled vehicle when we move. Since my husband has motorcycles, unless the Indiana weather gets really nasty, there's no reason why he can't ride to school. On those days he can't ride, he could take the car (or whatever we end up with) or I could pack the kids up and we could take him to school if I need the car.

We recently paid our truck off since we accelerated payments over three years. It's a really nice feeling for us. However, we don't like it. It's basically a piece of shit. But, we said we'd drive it until it disintegrated. This was before we had one child, let alone one and one on the way.

Ideally, I want something nice that will accommodate our family and two or three passengers comfortably. Realistically, this vehicle must also be able to tow about 5000 lbs. I've only done a little bit of research so far, but in order to meet these needs, it looks like we're looking at needing a larger suv. I know an Excursion :ack: :ack: would fulfill those two requirements, but...it's a behemoth. Only slightly less embarassing than a Hummer. Would I lose all my crunchy cred if we got one? Even if it's a diesel?

Keep in mind, we'll also be making cross-country moves in the thing with cats and lots of stuff.

Decisions decisions. Should we keep a truck we hate and if we have company, rent a car? Should we get a smaller family vehicle and keep the truck? Should we sell the truck for one behemoth as our primary vehicle? I'm just thinking out load, but if you have any suggestions they are appreciated. We're definitely leaning away from getting a second vehicle, but haven't ruled it out completely.

bren
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
If you can afford it, having the truck and a "family" car would be my preference. Otherwise I'd buy whatever best fits my needs/wants.

Doug
08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Indiana winters are not fun

ff
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
The 4Runner would be at the top of my shopping list. ~7200 lbs towing, off-road capability, one of the best (if not the best) V8 SUV mileage. They seem to hold their value quite well, too. And, well, it's a Toyota, so reliability is expected to be good.

If you start looking at Excursions and Hummers, we may have to kick you off this forum ;)

Nick M3
08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
The 4Runner would be at the top of my shopping list. ~7200 lbs towing, off-road capability, one of the best (if not the best) V8 SUV mileage. They seem to hold their value quite well, too. And, well, it's a Toyota, so reliability is expected to be good.

If you start looking at Excursions and Hummers, we may have to kick you off this forum ;)
Diesel Excursion FTW!!!!!!

dredmo
08-03-2007, 02:38 PM
4-door f150 and motorcycle fits us fine, and we have 2 kids. My wife wants a car, but it is a 100% want and not a need.

Optimus Prime
08-03-2007, 03:22 PM

We...especially me....really would prefer to have only one four-wheeled vehicle when we move. Since my husband has motorcycles, unless the Indiana weather gets really nasty, there's no reason why he can't ride to school. On those days he can't ride, he could take the car (or whatever we end up with) or I could pack the kids up and we could take him to school if I need the car.

We recently paid our truck off since we accelerated payments over three years. It's a really nice feeling for us. However, we don't like it. It's basically a piece of shit. But, we said we'd drive it until it disintegrated. This was before we had one child, let alone one and one on the way.

Ideally, I want something nice that will accommodate our family and two or three passengers comfortably. Realistically, this vehicle must also be able to tow about 5000 lbs. I've only done a little bit of research so far, but in order to meet these needs, it looks like we're looking at needing a larger suv. I know an Excursion :ack: :ack: would fulfill those two requirements, but...it's a behemoth. Only slightly less embarassing than a Hummer. Would I lose all my crunchy cred if we got one? Even if it's a diesel?

Keep in mind, we'll also be making cross-country moves in the thing with cats and lots of stuff.

Decisions decisions. Should we keep a truck we hate and if we have company, rent a car? Should we get a smaller family vehicle and keep the truck? Should we sell the truck for one behemoth as our primary vehicle? I'm just thinking out load, but if you have any suggestions they are appreciated. We're definitely leaning away from getting a second vehicle, but haven't ruled it out completely.
have you considered a second, cheap car? I just helped my brother buy an Aveo and we got it brand new for $8500 OTD. It's the 5 door hatch. I've ridden in the back seat for about 30 minutes and it wasn't horrible (I'm 6'1") I've also driven it for a week or so and it was surprisingly acceptable. It'll get 40 mpg, and would probably solve most of your problems.

Just a thought.

clyde
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM

It sounds like your needs are pretty similar to what mine were (except I wanted a little more towing capacity).

Armada (9,000 lb capacity with factory tow)
Seating for 7 or 8 (captains chairs or bench in the middle)
A decent interior
Drives nice
Comfy
Commuting mileage better than an RX-8

I filled the Armada up to capacity more than a dozen times during our move. Each time I was amazed at how much I could actually put in it. It's big, but shouldn't feel any bigger than the F150.

I don't know, I've been really happy with mine. An '04 LE with low miles should be easily had for about $27 or less and an SE for a couple thousand less (just make sure it has the factory tow package).

The one thing that might make the Excursion or a 2500 Suburban a better choice would be payload capacity. When you add up the weight of people and stuff, then add in the tongue weight of a trailered load, it's real easy to get to GVWR. The '04 Aramda's payload capacity is about 1,700 pounds (and it dropped in the following years as significant amounts of sound deadening material was added). No other half ton SUVs are better. The GM 1500s are a just a little less. Once you drop down to the V8 4Runner, you're looking at under 1,500 pounds.

Just find a way to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. :D

Melissa
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. A second vehicle is definitely more of a want than a need, but only one four-wheeled vehicle is ideal. We like the idea of keeping the truck because it's paid for. We just don't like the truck and it gets crappy mileage. That's not a huge issue right now considering we only average about 3000 miles a year, but we probably won't have that luxury of low miles once we move.

We are considering the possibility of an inexpensive family sedan that we can pay cash for, but again, that's money that we won't have for retirement and college savings. Of course, if we get a large suv, we probably won't be able to pay cash either. ugh It's also another vehicle to put gas in, pay insurance on and really, it's just another thing we don't really foresee needing. It also wouldn't satisfy the need to haul six or seven people occasionally. We'd still have to use two vehicles in those instances.

I guess I'm really looking for justification for getting a new or used larger suv and have that as our only family and trailer hauler. Clyde, you're list of needs is basically the same as ours, you're right. I do want something that's nice but also functional and not an obnoxious gas guzzler. I'll have to look at Armadas as I'm not sure I know what they are.

clyde
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I do want something that's nice but also functional and not an obnoxious gas guzzler. I'll have to look at Armadas as I'm not sure I know what they are.

They really don't come in much more of an obnoxious flavor than the Armada. The Excursion is the only one that rates higher on that scale. And it is a real gas guzzler.

But for a multi-purpose vehicle that needs to seat more than 4 on a regular basis (when two of them are in child seats), tow reasonably sized loads, haul a lot of crap, etc...it's pretty nice.

Melissa
08-04-2007, 01:06 PM
They really don't come in much more of an obnoxious flavor than the Armada. The Excursion is the only one that rates higher on that scale. And it is a real gas guzzler.

But for a multi-purpose vehicle that needs to seat more than 4 on a regular basis (when two of them are in child seats), tow reasonably sized loads, haul a lot of crap, etc...it's pretty nice.

Does Armada make a diesel by chance? That's probably the only way we'd get an Excursion.

clyde
08-04-2007, 07:10 PM
No diesel. The Titan may get one in '09, which could make one for the Armada a possibility in the future, but it's unlikely...and it won't happen anytime soon.

lip277
08-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Does Armada make a diesel by chance? That's probably the only way we'd get an Excursion.

Last year I was in the market for a truck. I needed one to tow my 24' car trailer and was focusing on diesel F-250/350 and Excursions.

2005 was the last year for the Excursion. Diesel Excursions were rare as hens teeth around here (Seattle area) and when I did find one, they either were way expensive or all used up.....

The diesel truck market though was more reasonable.

I ended up getting the F250 diesel and love it (although an Excursion would hae been nice as well....)

Rob
08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Relying on a bike for commuting in the winter in Indianna is not the wisest choice imo. Saying you will pack the kids up and drive him to school sounds great - until you have to do it every day.

My brother just bought a 200 five speed 528i with sport and premium and 140k miles for $11k. We figure its good for 250k easy as long as its maintained. Food for thought. If you wanted a wagon version, it would be less.

rumatt
08-05-2007, 12:40 AM
For me personally, I'd be inclined to keep the truck (assuming it's stable and not draining you on maintenance costs) and add a cheap-but-reliable used sedan or wagon to the mix.

Registering and insuring two cars isn't great, but I also wouldn't want to be alone with no car, or driving my spouse to work daily.

And if you're considering a big fancy SUV, the two used cars might be cheaper.

3LOU5
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I say suck it up and get an assignment in Anchorage. :D

JST
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM

The GMC Acadia is rated to tow 4500 lbs. How it does with a load like that I have no idea, but my in-laws just bought the Saturn version (the Outlook) and they love it. It's a really nice vehicle to drive; feels a lot smaller than the truck-based SUVs. It seats 8; they have two kids seats installed (an infant bucket and a forward-facing convertible), and four of us adults were able to use it to go to dinner without having to dismount either kid seat (and there was space for at least one more).

I'd definitely take a look at the Acadia or the Outlook.

EDIT:

http://www.gmc.com/acadia/acadia/specsOverview.jsp

Sharp11
08-08-2007, 11:44 PM
I'd keep the truck and get a car, that way you'd put even fewer miles on the truck, using it only when needed, and you'd put most of the miles on the car, which will be comfortable, more economical, easier to park etc.

Since you own the truck outright and might drive it very little, you might consider putting less insurance on it.

Ed

BahnBaum
08-09-2007, 05:28 AM
I'd definitely take a look at the Acadia or the Outlook.

That's the vehicle at the top of the list for the upcoming Excursion replacement.

Alex

JST
08-09-2007, 08:23 AM
That's the vehicle at the top of the list for the upcoming Excursion replacement.

Alex

I'm pretty impressed with theirs. It drives smaller than it is. The interior is much nicer than you'd expect from a GM, though there's still some cheap shiny plastic "chrome" here and there that reminds you you aren't in an Audi. It's freaking huge inside, and though it's also big outside, it's not as big as a lot of full-size truck-based SUVs.

BahnBaum
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty impressed with theirs. It drives smaller than it is. The interior is much nicer than you'd expect from a GM, though there's still some cheap shiny plastic "chrome" here and there that reminds you you aren't in an Audi. It's freaking huge inside, and though it's also big outside, it's not as big as a lot of full-size truck-based SUVs.

The reviews have been very positive.

I'm in no hurry. Someone had mentioned that dealers were getting close to msrp for them. Don't know how true that is.

Alex

Melissa
11-15-2007, 05:28 PM
The current plan has us leaning towards either a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna though we haven't personally looked at either yet. We would keep the truck.

The Sienna has awd (ot sure if it's standard or an option, tho) which is very appealing since we hope to have it for a long time and may very well be driven in a place where we'd want awd. We also anticipate a lot of road trips and carting a lot of stuff, plus multiples trips back and forth to Cincy to get my mom for visits with us and then back home, as well as possibly taking her to Memphis with us when we visit my inlaws.

I lost my "cool" card a long time ago so I guess I won't beat myself up too much about driving a minivan. :ack: :cool:

We're considering buying the van in Seattle when we leave here and drive the two vehicles to Indiana. Any big cons to buying while in transit that you can think of? We're just really dreading driving the truck crammed with two adults, a toddler, a baby and two cats. Dred, would you wanna do that? You have the same truck.

ff
11-15-2007, 07:26 PM
You were moving to Indiana, right? Honestly, I can't imagine needing AWD there. I'd save $$, weight, and MPG by going with the standard FWD. Just my 2 cents.

And as far as buying the van in Seattle, I'd much sooner buy airfare for 3 of you, and let hubby drive the rest of the way. Otherwise you end up with a 3 day old vehicle that already has 1500 miles on it, you have to buy all that extra gas, and you have the extra hassle of getting the license plates on your own once you do arrive.

When we moved to FL, we had a 4 and 2 year old, 1 month old, and a dog in the Armada. We just planned in advance that we'd break the trip up into smaller chunks, with plenty of stops in between. It went incredibly well. Granted, driving from Alaska is a whole different task...

Melissa
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Yes, to Indiana, but we'll be there for only two years and then who knows where. Could end up back in Alaska.

Everything else you mentioned we have discussed but haven't come to any real decisions. I almost dread flying alone with two more than driving with all of us crammed in the truck.

Rob
11-15-2007, 07:40 PM
There are plenty of places in Indianna where awd would be good to have. For example, parts of the state get lake effect snow. Obviously, the farther south you go, the less need for snow related equipment.

Having said that, I don't know that I would choose it either. It's expensive, you lose the spare tire, and the gas mileage for an awd mini van is horrible.

I second the reservations against buying it on the way though. If you need a second car, rent one. Just make sure it has unlimited mileage.

ff
11-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Good point on renting a car. You can get one-way rentals pretty easily.

3LOU5
11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
What if you guys rent a U-haul truck, say a 15-18 footer and tow your F150 from Seattle one-way?

You can keep the cats and their litter box, food, water, etc. in the Ford, with the windows slightly open.

When I helped my g/f move her stuff from Portland, OR to Austin, NV, we towed her car behind a 17-foot U-haul. The cats, though obviously unhappy by themselves in the car, did okay.

Or, you can have a relative fly to Seattle, and that person and help you with your kids, strollers and stuff, when all of you fly to IN and while you let your hubby drive cross-country.

(I'd kinda vote on the U-haul thing. It really sucks having to drive all that way by yourself.).

Rob
11-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Uhauls don't have back seats. No go b/c of the kiddies. And way to expensive in gas as a second car rental if you don't need the storage capacity.

Melissa
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Plus we'll already be towing our large enclosed trailer.

You guys are giving me things to think about and I appreciate it. I didn't realize we'd lose the spare tire. :o

Also forgot to mention we'll be making stops in Kansas City and Memphis for several days each before arriving in Indiana so we're not just going from point a to point b.

Rob
11-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh, don't worry about the spare tire. You get run flats instead!!