PDA

View Full Version : To RFT or not RFT...that is the question

Josh (PA)
05-12-2015, 10:35 AM
I need new tires on the 135. It currently has Pirelli PZero RFTs. Tire size is 215/40/R18 front 245/35/R18 rear.

The rears are worn and there is a bubble in one of the fronts. I planned on cross shopping Michelin PSS and Conti Extreme DW and if the PSS were less than $25/tire more go that route. Unfortunately when I started digging, it turns out neither are offered in an RFT version for my size.

So I'm left with the dilemma of sticking with the crappy Pirellis to stay with Run Flats (+ almost $100/tire more). Or go the non-RFT route and risk being stranded. I'd throw a can of slime and a compressor in the trunk, but I've already had one flat and the bubble that easily could have been a flat with this car. It was nice driving home and to the tire store with the RFTs.

A spare kit is also a possibility, but the trunk isn't big and I'm sure I wouldn't be carrying it all the time.

I want to go the non-RFT route, I just need a little positive reinforcement.

bren
05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
I've survived for 11 years with no spare, so yeah that gets my vote. A plug kit, some slime, and a compressor should cover pretty much any issue you may have.

Although, to be fair, I did spring for RFT winter tires on the x3. :eeps:

JST
05-12-2015, 10:59 AM
I need new tires on the 135. It currently has Pirelli PZero RFTs. Tire size is 215/40/R18 front 245/35/R18 rear.

The rears are worn and there is a bubble in one of the fronts. I planned on cross shopping Michelin PSS and Conti Extreme DW and if the PSS were less than $25/tire more go that route. Unfortunately when I started digging, it turns out neither are offered in an RFT version for my size.

So I'm left with the dilemma of sticking with the crappy Pirellis to stay with Run Flats (+ almost $100/tire more). Or go the non-RFT route and risk being stranded. I'd throw a can of slime and a compressor in the trunk, but I've already had one flat and the bubble that easily could have been a flat with this car. It was nice driving home and to the tire store with the RFTs.

A spare kit is also a possibility, but the trunk isn't big and I'm sure I wouldn't be carrying it all the time.

I want to go the non-RFT route, I just need a little positive reinforcement.

I would do the non-RFT route + a spare kit to either take on trips or at least keep in the garage so that you aren't immobile if you need to order a tire.

zach
05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
I would do the non-RFT route + a spare kit to either take on trips or at least keep in the garage so that you aren't immobile if you need to order a tire.

Agreed. Get the PSS

FC
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Agreed. Get the PSS

No doubt.

Although, where not a huge premium, I am willing to go RFT on winter tires. Our min has RFT winters.

zach
05-12-2015, 11:53 AM
No doubt.

Although, where not a huge premium, I am willing to go RFT on winter tires. Our min has RFT winters.

Interestingly, the summer tires on the X5 are RFT (dunlop) whereas the snows are conventional Hakkas. Fortunately, I have the spare kit option.

lupinsea
05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Costco has a $70 off discount on a set of Michelin's going on right now. I just ordered a set of Pilot Sport AS3's FWIW.

And FWIW, I run a Miata which never came with a spare tire from the factory, nor any run flat tires. There is just a patch kit from Mazda in the trunk.

Hm, I should open up the kit and see what's in there. Just so I know.

Pinecone
05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Have 3 cars without spare and without run flat.

Last time we used a spare was about 1990. And even then it didn't help, as two tires went flat.

wdc330i
05-12-2015, 04:09 PM
The only thing that keeps me from swapping out the wagon's lousy RFTs is the long stretch of cell phone dead zone we have on the way to the house in Rappahannock. For about 8 miles and until we get to the house, there's no way to call for help, if needed.

I carried a donut spare in the M3 for that reason (and there was enough of a well in the trunk to mostly handle it--the newer cars don't have the vestigial place for the spare.)

But I would love to put some non-RFT tires on the wagon...And I might just make them Pilot A/S as well, so as not to worry about the random snow flake early/late in the season.

equ
05-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Non-RFT for me.

Josh (PA)
05-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks. Going non-rifts and a slime flat repair kit.
Going to stop by my tire guy tomorrow and see if he'll match the Costco, or TireRack discount on PSS's. If I can get the set for less than $850 I'll go that route. Otherwise it will probably be DWs again. The Conti have been unbeatable for the money.

Alan
05-12-2015, 08:27 PM
I have no spare on 3 of my cars (ones got run flats so its ok) but and its a big but I never had a leak that went flat literally while driving until about a little over a year ago in the 991 and sh*t was it stressful watching the Tire pressure reading go from 44 down to under 20 in literally less than a couple of miles (or at least until my TPMS gave me a read out I had little pressure) ... I was freaking out thinking what am I gonna do ... i pulled into a gas station for about 20 seconds and the reading kept going down and down so I flew out of the gas station, luckily just happen to be a mile or two from my mothers home and flew as fast as I could hoping to make it ...

Yes I did make it and the tire was just about flat but lucky enough I made it there and took her truck to my home where I was able to grab my jack, a plug and all the crap needed to get the tire repaired and was able to go back to her house and get my car back and up on the road.

NEVER had this happen to me before where a tire just flew down in pressure but it sure made me nervous ... fast forward to today ... bought a 991 spare for some ridiculous amount of money but at least I don't have to worry about that happening again.

My advice ... go for the run flats or get yourself a spare ... nothing is worse than getting a super fast leaking flat and having to be stuck on the side of the road ... you'll curse yourself for not spending the extra $100 or $200 to go with the run flats ...

kognito
05-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Hm, I should open up the kit and see what's in there. Just so I know.

epoxy does have a shelf limit

Josh (PA)
06-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Youu guys remember this thread from a month ago... Yea. FML

bren
06-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Ooof.

PA road construction. Shocker.

Josh (PA)
06-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Somebody thought this was a good thing to spread across the left lane. On the bright side I bought road hazard on the tires for some odd reason. Yea me.

Josh (PA)
06-22-2015, 03:18 PM
So just a bit more detail. This morning I was cruising along happily on my way to work on the PA TPK. Someone dropped a trailer ramp in the middle of the passing lane. The car in front of me hit it. I swerve to try to avoid it but didn't have enough space to miss it and hit it on the passenger side front and rear. Within a 1/4 mile TPMS is showing all 4 tires are low. I get off the road at a safe spot and see my front and rear passenger tires are shot. Had the car towed to my tire place. I've asked them to put it on a lift and check that the rims aren't cracked and there is no other undercarriage damage but haven't heard back yet. I was one of 3 cars lined up w/ flats at the pull off that we all used. Not sure how many other hit it before the turnpike worker picked it up.

ZBB
06-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Ugh... Not fun.

Closest I've come to that was back in ~'98 when I worked in San Jose. Was going someplace after work and heard a traffic update to "watch out for a ladder on the 285" -- and I was exactly where they described. 5 seconds later I saw the ladder just ahead of me, but I had room to get over a lane and missed it...

Josh (PA)
06-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Could have been much worse. $41 to install two new tires. No other damage. Tow covered by USAAA roadside assistance, tires covered by road hazard.

equ
06-23-2015, 09:39 PM
And - even if they were out of pocket - non-RFT's are cheaper than RFT"s. Not to mention the much better ride & handling.

Josh (PA)
07-16-2015, 05:37 PM
And another one down, and another down ans another one bites the dust...

Alan
07-16-2015, 07:24 PM
That looks borderline but I think you might be able to plug it.

Josh (PA)
07-16-2015, 09:27 PM
That looks borderline but I think you might be able to plug it.

I asked at my tire place, they said no. They have plugged tires for me before, but the screw is too close to the sidewall.

New tire on order will be installed tomorrow $20 for mounting and disposal. This tire warranty has really paid off.

wdc330i
07-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Wow. Do you have some kind of magnetic field in your tires?

lip277
07-17-2015, 01:49 AM
I went through a period of 6 months (about 3 or 4 years back) where I had about 3 or 4 tires with nails/screws in them.

I realized that I was driving next to a place where they were building an apartment building. It was on my way to work. I changed route and ... No more flats.

Funny how that happened. :)

blee
07-17-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm about to get an influx of trucks as they start the final phases of our neighborhood. I've literally gone my entire driving life without a flat; not too hopeful that streak will continue.

Josh (PA)
11-05-2015, 05:29 PM
You guys give the worst advice...

It took 3 plugs to get it to hold air and get me home.

bren
11-05-2015, 05:33 PM
What? You made it home didn't you. :speechle:

Josh (PA)
11-05-2015, 08:21 PM
What? You made it home didn't you. :speechle:

I was at my plant in Leola today when it happened. So it was 42 white knuckled miles. I did get home, but it was very nerve racking. I was surprised the plugs held up

I almost feel bad for my tire place. This will be the 4th or 5th replacement tire that I'm getting for free under their tire-care warranty.

I learned today 1 series don't come w/ a jack or lug wrench anymore. I'll be picking up an old e46 jack set and keeping it in the trunk. I still prefer the non-RFT contis to the RFT Pirellis that were on the car when I bought it.

Sharp11
11-06-2015, 12:10 AM
If the tire care place offers their own warranty, they're insured for it - no need to feel bad for them.

I wouldn't overthink the run flat vs regular tire problem - driving poses some time-honored risks, some are uncontrollable, like flat tires. Live and enjoy life, and call triple AAA when you get a flat.

JST
11-06-2015, 06:45 AM
Do you have room to carry a spare?

Josh (PA)
11-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Do you have room to carry a spare?

I could pick one up, but it would eat a lot of trunk space, especially with the top down. So far the plug kit has gotten me home with everything except the multi-flat, where a spare wouldn't help anyway.

I will be picking up a jack and lug wrench at a minimum. I'm going to check the fitment of my e46 snows as well, I might be able to use one of them in a pinch.

Just a pretty crazy string of bad tire luck. Figured i'd share my plight w/ the board. Tire place got the new tire in this morning, $26 later it's as good as new (because it is new) :))

Josh (PA)
06-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Two more this weekend. My wife was driving it on Saturday. She must have caught a pothole juuuuuusstt right and took out both passenger side tires with gashes in the sidewall. The front was covered under warranty (again), but the rear was near the tread limit so I wound up buying two new rear tires. 5+ flat tires in a years time.

Theo
06-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Holy bad tire luck batman

equ
06-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Just lost a front on the new-to-me boxster. The /35 profiles don't help, the ride is good, the protection, not so much... I was changing lanes on I78 (near Plaz-land) and - at night - hit a gap where the lanes meet. At least it was a bubble and not catastrophic...

Thinking of claiming it, but
a) they've fixed the area it seems
b) highly doubt they'll pay.

We did get our city to pay for a tire when C. blew one in an insane pothole full of water (it was missing its cone that day).

rumatt
06-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Holy bad tire luck batman
Holy cow I indeed.

Josh do you run super low pressures or something?

rumatt
06-21-2016, 07:05 AM
Just lost a front on the new-to-me boxster. The /35 profiles don't help, the ride is good, the protection, not so much...

Ugh sorry.

But yeah, I was wondering how durable those things could possibly be over potholes.

equ
06-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Whoever thought a car the size of a boxster/cayman needs 20" wheels?

Another pro for the 987 generation (if you can find one).

wdc330i
06-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Two more this weekend. My wife was driving it on Saturday. She must have caught a pothole juuuuuusstt right and took out both passenger side tires with gashes in the sidewall. The front was covered under warranty (again), but the rear was near the tread limit so I wound up buying two new rear tires. 5+ flat tires in a years time.

What is up with your roads???? I've been seriously considering dumping the runflat summers on the E91 (they are due for replacement), but your experiences give me serious pause.

Plaz
06-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Just lost a front on the new-to-me boxster. The /35 profiles don't help, the ride is good, the protection, not so much... I was changing lanes on I78 (near Plaz-land) and - at night - hit a gap where the lanes meet. At least it was a bubble and not catastrophic...

Eastbound near exit 43, just before climbing back up into the reservation? They keep doing shitty patches there that fall apart in a week, making the situation worse. Given the consistency of the degradation pattern there, it looks to me like a case of someone not doing something right when they laid that surface down a few years ago. There are cracks between the lanes that erode mercilessly.

equ
06-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Exactly, eastbound near exit 43, probably right after it. Between leftmost and center lane (as I was cruising at 75 and needed to let folks by).

The sound/feel was bad, but I monitored TPMS. As that showed no leakage I pressed on. It was completely invisible at night, even with my high power 35W xenons / dynamic light system. Also no fog lights on many 981's or even 987.2's, I think.

I like fogs for pothole resolution.

equ
06-21-2016, 01:51 PM
By the way the answer to the original questions is always not RFT.

Plaz
06-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Exactly, eastbound near exit 43, probably right after it. Between leftmost and center lane (as I was cruising at 75 and needed to let folks by).

The sound/feel was bad, but I monitored TPMS. As that showed no leakage I pressed on. It was completely invisible at night, even with my high power 35W xenons / dynamic light system. Also no fog lights on many 981's or even 987.2's, I think.

I like fogs for pothole resolution.

There was a terrible accident right there a few weeks ago. I think someone was killed, and they medevac/airlifted others out of there. They closed down traffic in both directions for about 90 minutes... I was stuck on the westbound side a mile or two away. The first thing I thought of when they described the accident and its location was the lunar condition of the road there, and wondered whether it played a role.

They need to completely resurface the highway there, at least from the bridge by the corporate park up to Exit 44. It's a complete mess, and getting worse every day. At this point I just won't change lanes there at all. And still have to dodge nasty craters within the lane if in the left or center lane.

Alan
06-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Have 3 cars without spare and without run flat.

Last time we used a spare was about 1990. And even then it didn't help, as two tires went flat.

You've been very fortunate going 26 years without a flat ... I had a flat in the Porsche and was lucky enough to 'barely' make it to my mothers house which was 2 miles away ... the tire was as flat as flat can be ... had to borrow her SUV to run home and get my jack and tire plugs.

All cars should have either a spare or Run flats ... no spare sucks :thumbdow:

clyde
06-21-2016, 07:37 PM
One of my FoST competitors at the DC Championship Tour this weekend got a flat in one of his "street" "race" tires on his first run Saturday. Picked up a shell casing (well, not really, but that's what it looked like at first and given the neighborhood, totally believable) in the passenger front. Took a little while to locate it, a little while more to see if it would hold air if we aired it back up (it wouldn't) and then we found someone with a plug kit, plugged it and got him back out for his next run. Not quite quick enough for him to run in order, so he had to call a "mechanical" which gives a driver 10 minutes to make his scheduled run or forfeit it, but was ready about two minutes later. It held fine through the weekend and he finished second in class, less than a tenth of a second from winning (combined times of about 135 seconds).

Sharp11
06-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Eastbound near exit 43, just before climbing back up into the reservation? They keep doing shitty patches there that fall apart in a week, making the situation worse. Given the consistency of the degradation pattern there, it looks to me like a case of someone not doing something right when they laid that surface down a few years ago. There are cracks between the lanes that erode mercilessly.

Same on I-84 heading from NY to the CT line (around Brewster, NY) - awful split craters and potholes. We hit one in the wife's Infiniti last week pulling into a rest stop, felt like a bomb went off. Kept checking the TPMS all the way home.

dan
12-23-2016, 10:12 AM
just ordered some DWs to replace the RFTs that came on the car when I bought it :eeps:

IndyMike
12-23-2016, 10:28 AM
just ordered some DWs to replace the RFTs that came on the car when I bought it :eeps:
Solid choice. My wife has them on her E91 for about 8 months out of the year, and they're a nicely balanced tire in both wet and dry conditions, plus really quiet (at least compared to the LM60's that were just mounted recently). Decently priced as well.

You going with a spare and jackset in the trunk; an air compressor and tire plug kit; or just call AAA?

dan
12-23-2016, 10:31 AM
hope will be my strategy :erstaunt:

IndyMike
12-23-2016, 10:40 AM
That's always an option, although you don't seem to be too jacked up about it. :)

wdc330i
12-23-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm enjoying the Michelin A/S 3+ Non-RFTs I put on my E91. Now snow here yet, but certainly less crashy over road imperfections than the Bridgestone summer RFTs the car came with.

Also, just going on hope. Do have an air compressor in the car to deal with a slow leak. And AAA.

Josh (PA)
05-03-2017, 07:31 PM
So I drove home 22 miles from work on this tonight... Drivers side front tire. I shoved four plugs in there to stop the leak. The first set started leaking after about 10 miles. The second set seated better.
I caught the edge of a pothole and slit the sidewall.

Safe right. I guess on the bright side I get to try out a set of the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport tires.

clyde
05-03-2017, 07:50 PM
So I drove home 22 miles from work on this tonight... Drivers side front tire. I shoved four plugs in there to stop the leak. The first set started leaking after about 10 miles. The second set seated better.
I caught the edge of a pothole and slit the sidewall.

Safe right. I guess on the bright side I get to try out a set of the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport tires.

Ouch. My wife got a flat yesterday. She noticed today after backing into he street. As soon as she put in drive, it felt all wrong to her and she knew it was totally flat. So she drove a block up the street to a friend's house. "It was only a block." When she ran the portable compressor to see if it would hold air, she found a "huge" bolt. It held air initially, so she drove to gas station and had coffee while they plugged it. I haven't looked at it yet.

This evening, I impatiently clipped a curb with inside rear. Thought I got the wheel. I was wrong. Just enough tire to see some non-brake dust coated sidewall. Not enough to knock any air out.

Plaz
05-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Ugh.

I still remember the feeling when I clipped a curb in a parking garage with the inside rear of my then still new E46. I got the 68M nicely. Felt like such a fucking idiot.

Glad no one in the above anecdotes of misery got stranded, anyway.

dan
09-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Solid choice. My wife has them on her E91 for about 8 months out of the year, and they're a nicely balanced tire in both wet and dry conditions, plus really quiet (at least compared to the LM60's that were just mounted recently). Decently priced as well.

You going with a spare and jackset in the trunk; an air compressor and tire plug kit; or just call AAA?

hope will be my strategy :erstaunt:

welp

JST
09-08-2017, 12:46 PM
welp

Bummer.

Time to get a spare?

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire.html

Josh (PA)
09-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Just a follow up on the last sentence. I like Extreme Contacts even better than the DWs that preceded them. They seem to have a little firmer (and more resilient) sidewall and wear much better than the DWs did. Dry and wet traction is very good.

dan
09-08-2017, 12:52 PM
actually it's most likely fixable. Screw right in the middle of the tread. Was able to refill with air and get it to Discount Tire

dan
09-08-2017, 12:56 PM
whoops they just told me int's not repairable. Tire got damaged driving it when it was too low :irate:

Theo
09-08-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm on my third set of DW's and I about about to buy my forth set for the rear. Only tire I've had on the M5 since I bought it. I think there great.

clyde
09-10-2017, 11:04 PM
actually it's most likely fixable. Screw right in the middle of the tread. Was able to refill with air and get it to Discount Tire

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505098746&sr=8-3

And a compressor will take care of most punctures on the side of the road. It won't help like a spae would if the sidewall is fucked or you bend a wheel, but that's getting into pretty rare territory. Happens often enough to be a valid concern, but I'm more worried about my modern car stranding me somewhere because of a failed sensor or other electronic bullshit than that. :dunno:

dan
09-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Yep, ordered right after I paid for the new tire (with 12v compressor)

I was dumb not to do this when I bought the new non rft's

kognito
10-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Not really a RFT issue, but I didn't know where else to put this. . . I happened to notice a screw in the front right tire of my Focus. (very lucky to see it, was towing it behind our RV and must have "found" it somewhere in the last 250 miles of towing) I blow out in a towed vehicle can be very dangerous and expensive. I have seen pictures from folks who were unaware of a flat, and heat set tire on fire.

Anyhow, seeing as how We are in the middle of nowhere Georgia, I was afraid how much this was going to cost. After finding (as suspected) a donut spare I decided to drive it to a tire shop.

Went to a place called Kaufmann Tires, looked like it should be a chain type of store like a Goodyear service center.

After growing up hearing all sorts of horror stories about backwoods GA, imagine my surprise to find that this place charged me 1.29 for the patch AND THAT WAS IT!

If I find a Kaufmann near home, they will get my business again!!

wdc330i
10-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Nice happy ending! And reassuring to hear, as I’d like to drive around the state more and two of our cars are non-runflats with no spares.

clyde
10-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Not really a RFT issue, but I didn't know where else to put this. . . I happened to notice a screw in the front right tire of my Focus. (very lucky to see it, was towing it behind our RV and must have "found" it somewhere in the last 250 miles of towing) I blow out in a towed vehicle can be very dangerous and expensive. I have seen pictures from folks who were unaware of a flat, and heat set tire on fire.

Anyhow, seeing as how We are in the middle of nowhere Georgia, I was afraid how much this was going to cost. After finding (as suspected) a donut spare I decided to drive it to a tire shop.

Went to a place called Kaufmann Tires, looked like it should be a chain type of store like a Goodyear service center.

After growing up hearing all sorts of horror stories about backwoods GA, imagine my surprise to find that this place charged me 1.29 for the patch AND THAT WAS IT!

If I find a Kaufmann near home, they will get my business again!!

Reminds me of a story from my dad and brother about getting a flat fixed by a naked guy in a trailer in nowhere west Texas in the middle of the night.

clyde
10-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Nice happy ending! And reassuring to hear, as I’d like to drive around the state more and two of our cars are non-runflats with no spares.

Keep a plug kit in the cars. Won’t fix everything every time, but substantially reduces the chances of being stranded.

Josh (PA)
10-14-2017, 04:56 PM
I have a Green slime plug and patch kit in the 1er. It has gotten me home multiple times. Worth every penny

wdc330i
10-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Keep a plug kit in the cars. Won’t fix everything every time, but substantially reduces the chances of being stranded.

I should. There is an emergency kit in the trunk, but I frankly don't know what's in it--probably just a can of fix-a-flat. Any recommendations for a patch kit? I keep a portable compressor in the trunk already.

clyde
10-14-2017, 08:19 PM
I have a Green slime plug and patch kit in the 1er. It has gotten me home multiple times. Worth every penny

I should. There is an emergency kit in the trunk, but I frankly don't know what's in it--probably just a can of fix-a-flat. Any recommendations for a patch kit? I keep a portable compressor in the trunk already.

Slime will not help you make friends with your tire guy.

A plug kit is pretty basic. An awl to enlarge and roughen the puncture; a tool to insert the plug(s); some plugs; and maybe some rubber cement. Just a couple bucks at an auto parts store. You’ll also need pliers or something pull out whatever punctured he tire and a compressor to reinforce the tire.

If you’re lucky, you’ll see the puncture and be able to make the repair with the wheel on the the car. My luck is never that good. It takes some effort to get the awl and the reamer with the plug into the tire, but it’s not a difficult thing.

Xq3dDoYRlQg

John V
10-14-2017, 09:30 PM
I would have given the tech a 20 dollar tip.

Josh (PA)
10-14-2017, 10:04 PM

I've heard those stories. My kit has a plug kit, 12 v pump and as a last resort the bottle of slime. I haven't needed to use the slime yet, just the plugs. I added a robust set of needle nose pliers (to pull out the nail, screw or similar shrapnel from the tire) and a 1/4" drill bit to prep the site and make it easier to get the auger in and out prior to plugging it.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f0fabe5d-794f-4e15-9cf0-e260598914e2_1.5906d00d4f06fd9d2226a58d9f18dcc4.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

This is the one I have:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Flat-Tire-Repair-Kit/14254126?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=3334d310-e6b0-459c-8952-0c9a75142029&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=3334d310-e6b0-459c-8952-0c9a75142029&item_id=14254126&parent_anchor_item_id=41966225&parent_item_id=41966225&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=WhShKHzSRZedlkyvJfVp9E

3LOU5
10-15-2017, 11:47 AM

A plug kit is pretty basic. An awl to enlarge and roughen the puncture; a tool to insert the plug(s); some plugs; and maybe some rubber cement. Just a couple bucks at an auto parts store. You’ll also need pliers or something pull out whatever punctured he tire and a compressor to reinforce the tire.

If you’re lucky, you’ll see the puncture and be able to make the repair with the wheel on the the car. My luck is never that good. It takes some effort to get the awl and the reamer with the plug into the tire, but it’s not a difficult thing.

Xq3dDoYRlQg

I've plugged my tire once while it was still mounted, and my g/f's tire when it was off the car. It's A LOT easier when it's off, IMO.

I've never used Slime. I imagine that if you used it once, your tire is pretty much trashed because of the difficulty it is to remove the goo inside the tire......but what do I know ??

equ
10-15-2017, 05:43 PM
I'd use the goo on a stranding - haven't yet. Would suck to be the tech cleaning off the wheel, but if the stranding is bad, that's comparable.

I've never pierced and plugged myself. Have the package. Have seen it done, it's a bit harder than the package directions indicate, not sure if I'd trust myself with zero practice.