PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Parking

nate
04-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Was in Manhattan recently and saw a sign outside the garage advertising their monthly parking rates.

Was about $630/month with a surcharge of about $125 for SUVs. Not surprising.

However, there was also a surcharge of about $425 for luxury cars and exotics. I had never heard of that before. What's the justification? I suppose there is some extra insurance expense, but doubt it is that much more. Does your car get extra space? Do they extra promise not to scratch it? :dunno:

JST
04-27-2015, 10:16 PM
I assume it's an asshole tax. Probably underpriced.

nate
04-27-2015, 10:26 PM
I assume it's an asshole tax. Probably underpriced.

That's about all I could think of, but was hoping others were more enlightened. :lol:

FWIW, that asshole tax is nearly the top of the market for monthly parking here.

Plaz
04-27-2015, 10:38 PM
I've seen that before. I doubt there's special treatment. They just figure if you drive a car in that category you're more likely to bitch about it getting mangled in their care, so they price it in. Does that qualify as asshole tax?

JST
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Precisely.

John V
04-28-2015, 06:09 AM
FWIW, that asshole tax is nearly the top of the market for monthly parking here.

Wow. I am having a hard time remembering the last time I paid for parking.

lemming
04-28-2015, 07:30 AM

Shut. Up.

equ
04-28-2015, 08:59 AM
I live a stone's throw from Manhattan. And almost never, ever pay for parking...

Because moto :).

In 2007 I almost moved back into the city, nice building on Mercer St. by NYU. Rent was going to be $3200 for a 1-bedroom with a view, laughable in today's global-douche-bubble prices. They wanted to put a luxury surcharge on my four-year old, very compact e46 330i for in-building parking, so up to $500 from $350 IIRC.

nate
04-28-2015, 12:40 PM

Do you live on a farm and never visit a city? :lol:

I have to pay for parking all the time. My most recent was at an appointment this morning. Work parking costs $175/mo, which the employer picks up. That's on the low side of average too.

Nick M3
04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Do you live on a farm and never visit a city? :lol:

I have to pay for parking all the time. My most recent was at an appointment this morning. Work parking costs $175/mo, which the employer picks up. That's on the low side of average too.

Yes, basically he does. Except without the farm attached.

dan
04-28-2015, 01:20 PM

You never drive to sports events or concerts?

John V
04-28-2015, 07:16 PM
You never drive to sports events or concerts?

Sure, we went to a bunch of baseball games last year, the year before, etc. :dunno: And we go into the cities (DC, Baltimore) all the time.

Plaz
04-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Sure, we went to a bunch of baseball games last year, the year before, etc. :dunno: And we go into the cities (DC, Baltimore) all the time.

You can go drive to see a Nats game or Os game and not pay for parking?

rumatt
04-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Parking in NYC varies wildly, depending on location. That's not surprising in general, but the degree to which it can vary is pretty insane.

Last time I looked (a few years ago) you could get a garage on 57th and 10th for $299/month. If you went up 22 blocks north to 79th and West End ave, there was one for $799/month.

No clue about the the luxury car tax. I've never owned one of those. :lol:

John V
04-29-2015, 06:03 AM
You can go drive to see a Nats game or Os game and not pay for parking?

Pretty easily for a Nats game - Metro plus walking. For O's games, since they started winning a few years ago it's been harder, but yes. Street parking in Baltimore isn't that hard to find and we have plenty of friends in both cities that have driveways we can often use, especially easily with the motorcycle.

lupinsea
05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
We pay for parking rarely.

It's not an issue in the area except for Seattle. Fortunately there is free on-site parking where I work. My wife takes the bus on her daily commute. The only time we pay for parking is if we are going in to Seattle in or near the down town core and either need to feed the parking meter or we have a special event we are attending.

Otherwise we avoid Seattle.

JST
05-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Street parking in Baltimore isn't that hard to find

Especially recently.

Plaz
05-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Especially recently.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/RimshotBadumtsh.jpg