PDA

View Full Version : New York International Auto Show

Sharp11
04-09-2015, 11:10 PM
I went Wednesday night, it was a good time to go, crowds were relatively light and driving in and out of the city was a breeze - it always feels good to be fleeced by the garage gonnifs and vendors, who supply the only parking and food within blocks of the Javits center. What a surprise ;)

The Honda HRV is impressive; they'll sell bucket loads of them to young people and empty nesters. A manual is available in FWD models, but unfortunately, you get the CVT with AWD. Nicely trimmed; in fact, the interior of the one I sat in was nicer than any of the CRV's and Pilots on display.

The Mustangs were pretty neat - they had one flipped on its side so you could get a closeup look at the suspension - lots of aluminum, an indy rear with substantial control arms, and a nicely trimmed floor pan (though not quite BMW smooth).

A lot of dudes were checking out the Avalon "Dub" package at the Toyota display.

There's a new "Smart For Two" which had a sport package and a manual transmission. If you don't look over your right shoulder, it almost seems like a real car.

The Dodge Hellcat has over 700 HP, but it's the dash that sells it, it's the most beautiful gauge cluster and lighting package I think I've ever seen. I'm not kidding, you could sit there for hours.

Trucks were huge, both in popularity and size - the Ford Laramie with extended cab, a diesel and every option was something ... a small ranch home could fit in the back.

"Transporters" (tall passenger trucks) are becoming popular - there were models from Mercedes, Ford and a couple of others.

Acura was a total bore, as was Lexus and unfortunately, Nissan/Infiniti - which seems to be struggling through an identity crisis these days - some nice models and some real dogs.

I was struck by how stunningly beautiful the Aston martins on display were - there was a convertible that, if I could have written a check right there for, I would have, but alas, i don't have that worry.

BMW didn't have a single Z4 to show - I'm wondering if it's on the short list to cancellation :(. They did have an I8 and I3 though, both interesting - the I3 would sell like crazy .... if it were a hybrid, I think. Everything about it screams eco, but nicely done eco. The M2 is ok, but nothing about the BMW line screams "you want this".

Mercedes has brought back the Maybach - it's wretched excess wrapped in what looked like the S Class body. The marque was showing a new SUV (and the aforementioned Smart Car For Two).

I realized, after we left, we either missed the Mini display, or they weren't there this year.

Saw the new Miata, which I quite liked, but I think I'm done with that small size.

The new Boxster and Cayman were on display. Nice too, but ...

I saved the best for last; in terms of value, nothing beats the Corvette - the company had a well optioned model on the floor, it was priced at 60 grand and it had an enormous V8, really nice seats/ergonomics and excellent gas mileage ratings for the class - it's a lightweight car and it shows. Right next to was a Camaro Z28 - which cost more, weighs almost a 1000 lbs more and sucks more fuel.

As a general observation, perforated seats and trim have really caught on with many carmakers, and seats have gotten comfortable and more substantial in the economy class - at least for quick in/out ass checks.

SCA
04-09-2015, 11:45 PM
My son & I will be there in the morning for the early entrance. Our second NYIAS.

Jeff_DML
04-10-2015, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the writeup

Plaz
04-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the writeup

:+1

SARAFIL
04-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Wanted to get down there this year but couldn't make it.

You didn't miss MINI- they pulled out, apparently the show organizers tried putting them in a different spot than they usually have (trying to shift brands around based on sales volume) and MINI said "FU" and pulled out.

John V
04-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Cool.

Rumors abound of Toyota and bmw teaming up for the next z4 and a new supra.

Alan
04-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Great write up ... that is interesting what you said about the Z28 being so much heavier than the Corvette ... I never looked at the specs before.

Also what you mentioned about the Hellcat is interesting ... I had recently taken a test drive of the new charger (took my son's friend who is turning 17 shortly since his mom didn't have time) and was really impressed with the whole system they have for the nav, stereo, etc. Dodge did a really great job with that car.

Funny thing is the kid ended up with the Infiniti Q50 ... his dad heard he wanted the dodge and said no way and got him the infiniti ...

John V
04-13-2015, 08:47 PM
17-year old with an Infiniti Q50?

:lol:

Theo
04-14-2015, 08:46 AM
17-year old with an Infiniti Q50?

:lol:

I was going to say something similar by I kept my mouth shut.