PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here experienced an f80 m3?

equ
04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Saw an m3 sedan at the NY show last night and started thinking, hard. Interested in your reviews, opinions, the more detail the better...

Theo
04-08-2015, 11:36 AM
You are a TRUE carmudgeon equ!! You flip cars like pancakes. I am going on 7y with the M5. I think I need to turn in my membership.

dan
04-08-2015, 11:46 AM
They're almost done with the F's already? That was fast.

bren
04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Salesman buddy told be he'd toss me the keys to one when the weather gets nice - I haven't taken him up on it yet.

Honestly just don't have much interest.

John V
04-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I bet it's pretty epic. But I don't have much interest either.

Jeff_DML
04-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I was considering a euro delivered one. The m3 looks good and reviews seem positive.

Seems a bit too big for me and now waiting for info on the m2.

Theo
04-08-2015, 03:06 PM

This

FC
04-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Penciled in as #1 replacement for TT if I sell it. Waiting to see if budget allows and if reliability is more proven.

If I do it, it would be a family ED trip. in a couple of years.

equ
04-08-2015, 06:32 PM
I see it as an s4 replacement, potentially... Now that gt4 is out of the picture and I am looking at some other porsches, brand new m3's seem like downright bargains. And yes, the yas marina sedan/silverstone sedan on the auto show floor had something to do with it.

Or do they? Evo complains about how terrible they are in the wet, with 400+ ft-lbs, I could believe it. I would plan to use it for snow/winter/ice so I'm not sure if that's a fit.

Biggins
04-08-2015, 08:22 PM
I really really like the looks and specs/stats of them. It just doesn't fit what I need right now. Perhaps in 5-10 years in the used market...

Jeff_DML
04-08-2015, 10:13 PM
: pint:

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bmw-m3-san-marino-blue-3.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/04/08/bmw-f80-m3-in-san-marino-blue/

SCA
04-09-2015, 10:30 AM
I have a neighborhood that took delivery of his last week. Alpine White/Sakhir Orange Leather, 6 spd, Carbon Fiber Roof, HK, M adaptive suspension, and 19" wheels. I'll request a ride after break-in.

Headed to the NY Auto show tomorrow AM. Looking forward to seeing a few new models in the flesh.

Edit: I have seen many of them run at speed at the BMW Performance Center. The exhaust note is not a desirable one. At least for myself and a few other SC club members. The LCI should be coming soon so I would hold off any temptation to order one within the next 6-8 months.

+1

It takes up a considerable amount of space in my neighbors garage.

wdc330i
04-09-2015, 11:01 AM
I have a neighborhood that took delivery of his last week. Alpine White/Sakhir Orange Leather, 6 spd, Carbon Fiber Roof, HK, M adaptive suspension, and 19" wheels. I'll request a ride after break-in.

Headed to the NY Auto show tomorrow AM. Looking forward to seeing a few new models in the flesh.

Edit: I have seen many of them run at speed at the BMW Performance Center. The exhaust note is not a desirable one. At least for myself and a few other SC club members. The LCI should be coming soon so I would hold off any temptation to order one within the next 6-8 months.

+1

It takes up a considerable amount of space in my neighbors garage.

I was also waiting on the M2. But I have a 228 xdrive convertible loaner today, and I have to admit, it's a little small for my tastes. I guess I'm just getting older.

I could see it as a third, weekend car, but I think my son would have a hard time fitting in the back.

It is pretty fun to drive, though, even in xdrive, 4-cylinder form.

Josh (PA)
04-09-2015, 01:05 PM
I was also waiting on the M2. But I have a 228 xdrive convertible loaner today, and I have to admit, it's a little small for my tastes. I guess I'm just getting older.

I could see it as a third, weekend car, but I think my son would have a hard time fitting in the back.

It is pretty fun to drive, though, even in xdrive, 4-cylinder form.

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but the back seat of the 1 series convertible is significantly more comfortable for my kids (9 - 16yrs old) than the e36 convertible was. They don't complain about sitting back there as long as the front seat isn't too far back. The trunk is surprisingly large as well, more than enough space for two overnight bags or a weeks worth of groceries with the top down. With the top up there is even more room for taller items. I would expect the 2 to be slightly better in both regards. I'm really hoping they execute the M2 the same way they did the 1M, focus on big fun over big track #s.

zach
04-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I'd like to try an F80, but I still really like the e90. I'm quite turned off by the idea of fake engine noise piped into the cabin.

FC
04-09-2015, 07:20 PM
I'd like to try an F80, but I still really like the e90. I'm quite turned off by the idea of fake engine noise piped into the cabin.

Yup. The sound is easily the biggest drawback, particularly when compared with the E90.

equ
04-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Sean: The f80 m3 sedan in yas marina blue on the NYIAS floor is what got me thinking :)

Of course the big deal in the auto show is the 1 of 3 McLaren F1 longtail!!! Worth the wait to get up close to it, late in the evening, it took only 10 minutes.

equ
04-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Do the M's get the LCI? I don't think much changed for them in the e9x LCI, just the tail, the front/nose stayed about the same. I ask because the f30 (and to a lesser degree the f80) are a bit front-challenged...

Jeff_DML
04-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Do the M's get the LCI? I don't think much changed for them in the e9x LCI, just the tail, the front/nose stayed about the same. I ask because the f30 (and to a lesser degree the f80) are a bit front-challenged...
I am guessing it will be like the e90 lci, front-end stays the same but interior and rear taillight updates.

SCA
04-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Sean: The f80 m3 sedan in yas marina blue on the NYIAS floor is what got me thinking :)

Of course the big deal in the auto show is the 1 of 3 McLaren F1 longtail!!! Worth the wait to get up close to it, late in the evening, it took only 10 minutes.

Truth be told, my son & I are mostly excited about seeing the 'Batmobile' that won Sebring 40 years ago than anything else at the BMW stand. My mother wants us to pay close attention to the interior colors on the X5 M (red) & X6 M (beige) as she is planning to place an order for a 2016 X5 M this fall and trade her E70 N63 X5 towards the end of the year.

Jeff_DML
04-10-2015, 01:07 AM
I am guessing it will be like the e90 lci, front-end stays the same but interior and rear taillight updates.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2016-bmw-m3-facelift-spied-wearing-camo-94234.html#

Sharp11
04-10-2015, 09:54 AM
I haven't driven the M3 version of the F30, but they're big cars - I've had a couple of 328i's for loaners, and a friend has the 320i.

If I were you, I'd spend some time with the M2 coupe (also at the show) - try before you buy, but to me, it felt more appropriate at that size.

dan
04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
I love the size of my 135. I think it's perfect. Plenty of room for my 9 and 10 year old in the back, can easily fit in tight parking spaces.

bren
04-10-2015, 10:57 AM
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2016-bmw-m3-facelift-spied-wearing-camo-94234.html#

Holy! Look at thing next to the x5 - they are the same length. :ack:

Josh (PA)
04-10-2015, 03:37 PM
I haven't driven the M3 version of the F30, but they're big cars - I've had a couple of 328i's for loaners, and a friend has the 320i.

If I were you, I'd spend some time with the M2 coupe (also at the show) - try before you buy, but to me, it felt more appropriate at that size.

M2 isn't released or previewed yet. The car at the show was the M235i

Theo
04-10-2015, 06:14 PM

I was about to say. That would be all over the net if true.

SCA
04-10-2015, 07:59 PM

+1

No M2 at NYIAS this year. The car being refered to is a gray over red M235i. It is visable to the right of the F80 M3.

Sitting at LGA attempting to get out of NYC. We keep getting delayed. Ugh...

equ
04-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I intend to keep the e46M or a porsche... The m3 would be the daily and it's the perfect size for that, not too big at all, still smaller than a e39.

I have no interest in the m235i. Just rubs me the wrong way.

Jeff_DML
04-10-2015, 08:25 PM
I have no interest in the m235i. Just rubs me the wrong way.

I take it M2 too?

Alan
04-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Aaahhh the autoshow has worked it's magic ... you've got the bug and I see an M3 in your future ;)

I was behind an M4 this evening and that thing was hot ... I think you go with the new M3 and you're going to be a very happy guy !!

Jeff_DML
04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Dakar?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/m/m3/f80/dakar/IMG_3711.jpg

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113995

wdc330i
04-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Saw an M4 convertible in Yas Marina Blue at the dealer the other day. The thing looks HUGE.

John V
04-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Looks can be deceiving.

Not in this case, though.

Biggins
04-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I haven't looked at the dimensions, but the M4 seems longer/bigger than the M3 to me.

I just need the E90 M3s to drop a little more in the used market... or find that Estoril E36 M3 sedan.

Jeff_DML
04-30-2015, 12:25 PM
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2015/mercedes-amg-c63-vs-bmw-m3-twin-test-review-2015/

Theo
04-30-2015, 02:25 PM
I just need the E90 M3s to drop a little more in the used market

This was my recent plan as well until I started spending some good coin lately on fixing some of the M5's minor imperfections. It is looking quite good again. It is now offcially the longest car I have ever owned in my life.

Nick M3
04-30-2015, 02:27 PM
This was my recent plan as well until I started spending some good coin lately on fixing some of the M5's minor imperfections. It is looking quite good again. It is now offcially the longest car I have ever owned in my life.

The E93 just irritates me every time I drive it. The controls feel all wrong. :(

Theo
04-30-2015, 02:31 PM
The E93 just irritates me every time I drive it. The controls feel all wrong. :(

The only bad things I heard Stuka or JST say about the sedan version where the clutch was to light and unless you wind the shit out of it it feels a little slow.

JST
04-30-2015, 02:52 PM
The only bad things I heard Stuka or JST say about the sedan version where the clutch was to light and unless you wind the shit out of it it feels a little slow.

Yes. Also it seems like it has a hole in the (small) gas tank, which is fine but kind of a buzzkill given the limited low end, at least for city commuting.

But it was a pretty amazing car in a lot of ways.

Josh (PA)
04-30-2015, 02:56 PM

The gas tank range of around ~200 miles sounds like it could get old as well.

Theo
04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
The gas tank range of around ~200 miles sounds like it could get old as well.

I don’t drive all that much (about 6K a year at most) and rarely take long road trips, so that does not concern me. One reason the M5's 12-13MPG does not bother me.

My E46 M3 had some of the wind it out characteristics so I am not so sure that would affect me either.

Now the light clutch might drive me nuts. The one on my 01 330ci did and was one reason I sold it.

Jeff_DML
04-30-2015, 03:18 PM
I don’t drive all that much (about 6K a year at most) and rarely take long road trips, so that does not concern me. One reason the M5's 12-13MPG does not bother me.

My E46 M3 had some of the wind it out characteristics so I am not so sure that would affect me either.

Now the light clutch might drive me nuts. The one on my 01 330ci did and was one reason I sold it.

light clutch didn't bug me, light steering did initially

Josh (PA)
04-30-2015, 03:26 PM

I don't know what people would put in the light vs heavy clutch bucket or if the e9x M3 shares its clutch and transmission linkage with the other e90 based cars, but I can say without question the clutch on the 335/135 is SOOOO*1000 much better than the e39. It is lighter than the e36 m3, but has perfect take up and a great gear selecting feedback.

JST
04-30-2015, 03:27 PM

The clutch was light, but I didn't mind it. It was easy enough to use, with a natural engagement point and decent feel. But I am not one of those militant clutch-feel people.

Yes, the steering was lighter than one might expect in a car like that.

The big problem I had with the M3 was after I bought the Porsche; even my dentist's Porsche has world's better steering feel than the M3, which meant that when I got into the M3 it felt kind of like driving a truck.

Nick M3
04-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Road trip fuel economy is actually quite good in the E93.

The light, and very non-linear steering is irritating. The light clutch is much more irritating than it ever has been in a normal 330. The brakes are WAY too grabby. The default throttle response is soggy as hell, but that's the one thing that you can largely "fix."

Theo
04-30-2015, 03:42 PM
The light steering would not bug me either coming from the super light E39 M5 rack.

I'll just have to drive one.

Jeff_DML
04-30-2015, 03:44 PM
To be honest, I dont miss mine at all.

But since you will coming from a e39 M5 it might be a nice upgrade to a more modern platform.

Nick M3
04-30-2015, 04:15 PM
The light steering would not bug me either coming from the super light E39 M5 rack.

I'll just have to drive one.

Hmm. I would not characterize the E39 steering as super light.

JST
04-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Hmm. I would not characterize the E39 steering as super light.

The E39 M5's steering is...not its strong suit. Light or not, I think the E90's steering is going to be a significant improvement over the E39.

FC
04-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Not that I am considering one now, but I'm torn on the F80. In a way it gets a lot of the straight line performance of the 997 seating the whole family comfortably with a real trunk, modern technology, a warranty, etc. all for maybe a 30% premium over what my TT is worth. And I would use it a lot more.

But I often feel even that is overkill for the kind of daily driving I do. I'm starting to wonder is an S4 is a better choice with AWD. But I feel you get better value with the M3.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off with a GTI and a roadster for occasional use.

The M3 does lease remarkably well for what it is. With ED, you are looking at leases in the sub $700 range (36 mo/10k w/ 7 MSDs).

The competition pkg supposedly comes out for MY2016.

Nick M3
04-30-2015, 05:16 PM
The E39 M5's steering is...not its strong suit. Light or not, I think the E90's steering is going to be a significant improvement over the E39.

I *hate* the steering in the E39. It's why I don't have one, even though overall it would make vastly more sense for me than the E46.

But I still like that steering more than the E93.

:dunno:

robg
05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Not that I am considering one now, but I'm torn on the F80. In a way it gets a lot of the straight line performance of the 997 seating the whole family comfortably with a real trunk, modern technology, a warranty, etc. all for maybe a 30% premium over what my TT is worth. And I would use it a lot more.

But I often feel even that is overkill for the kind of daily driving I do. I'm starting to wonder is an S4 is a better choice with AWD. But I feel you get better value with the M3.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off with a GTI and a roadster for occasional use.

The M3 does lease remarkably well for what it is. With ED, you are looking at leases in the sub $700 range (36 mo/10k w/ 7 MSDs).

The competition pkg supposedly comes out for MY2016.

I feel similarly conflicted. It's a lot of car for your lease dollar but also seems like way overkill for the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JST
05-07-2015, 04:23 PM
I *hate* the steering in the E39. It's why I don't have one, even though overall it would make vastly more sense for me than the E46.

But I still like that steering more than the E93.

:dunno:

Nick, relevant to a discussion in a different thread, what do you think about an S50/S52 swap in an E39? Would that have enough beans to be worth doing, and could you preserve the (presumably better, though I don't know) steering from the six cylinder car?

FC
05-07-2015, 04:49 PM
I feel similarly conflicted. It's a lot of car for your lease dollar but also seems like way overkill for the U.S.

I know it will never sound like the old V8, but if over the next couple of years they offer an awesome color (Imola, LeMans or similar) and get the car to sound better, I may bite. I'll need to really lust after a car if I am going to plunk down that kind of money. It is a pricey car, so a lot will also depend on our finances by then.

The plan is still (as it was before), to hold on to the 997TT until the LR4 is paid for (~Fall of 2017) and figure out what to get early Fall '17 or spring '18. My kids will likely have outgrown the 997 by then.

That should be enough time to get some reliability data on the M3, see new colors, new packages, and get a sense for the performance EV-sedan market.

robg
05-08-2015, 10:16 AM
I know it will never sound like the old V8, but if over the next couple of years they offer an awesome color (Imola, LeMans or similar) and get the car to sound better, I may bite. I'll need to really lust after a car if I am going to plunk down that kind of money. It is a pricey car, so a lot will also depend on our finances by then.

The plan is still (as it was before), to hold on to the 997TT until the LR4 is paid for (~Fall of 2017) and figure out what to get early Fall '17 or spring '18. My kids will likely have outgrown the 997 by then.

That should be enough time to get some reliability data on the M3, see new colors, new packages, and get a sense for the performance EV-sedan market.

I'm actually fine with the sound, but am more concerned with whether it's just a "numbers car" or whether it's actually fun to drive on the road. Seems like the reviews are divided based on where they were tracking or drifting it vs those who drove it on regular roads. That being said, I appreciate some of the other upgrades vs a regular f30, and it's cheaper to lease than pretty much any other high performance German cars including the s4. I've read the usual complaints about electric steering but honestly I was never impressed by the e90 m3 steering either. In fact, very few BMWs of the past 15 years that I've driven really impressed me steering-wise especially when compared to Porsche

I imagine it will take some adjustment to transition out of a 911 into the m3 if you go that route though.

lemming
05-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm actually fine with the sound, but am more concerned with whether it's just a "numbers car" or whether it's actually fun to drive on the road. Seems like the reviews are divided based on where they were tracking or drifting it vs those who drove it on regular roads. That being said, I appreciate some of the other upgrades vs a regular f30, and it's cheaper to lease than pretty much any other high performance German cars including the s4. I've read the usual complaints about electric steering but honestly I was never impressed by the e90 m3 steering either. In fact, very few BMWs of the past 15 years that I've driven really impressed me steering-wise especially when compared to Porsche

I imagine it will take some adjustment to transition out of a 911 into the m3 if you go that route though.

yes.

i'm never going to get another BMW M car again. it's too compromised. i'd rather have two cars more focused than one bloated numbers car.

Jeff_DML
05-09-2015, 12:03 PM
yes.

i'm never going to get another BMW M car again. it's too compromised. i'd rather have two cars more focused than one bloated numbers car.

:D

robg
05-13-2015, 10:28 PM
yes.

Everytime I'm tempted, I always come back to this point. But the "do it all" car is a unicorn that I keep chasing.

Sharp11
05-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Everytime I'm tempted, I always come back to this point. But the "do it all" car is a unicorn that I keep chasing.

This happens in the alternate world of guitar players - they think they're going to get the ultimate "do it all" guitar and amp combo, but it never works out that way - they end up with a Les Paul and either a Strat and/or Telecaster, plus some kind of Fender-ish amp for the "american" and blues sounds, and some kind of Marshall/Vox combo for those english blues and Beatley nuggets ;)

There's rarely a "do it all" in most anything ...

Plaz
05-14-2015, 10:49 AM
This happens in the alternate world of guitar players - they think they're going to get the ultimate "do it all" guitar and amp combo, but it never works out that way - they end up with a Les Paul and either a Strat and/or Telecaster, plus some kind of Fender-ish amp for the "american" and blues sounds, and some kind of Marshall/Vox combo for those english blues and Beatley nuggets ;)

There's rarely a "do it all" in most anything ...

Guilty as charged.

I have a Music Man "super strat" type guitar I bought with that kind of thinking... bridge humbucker, two single-coils. Should be able to fill the role of either a Strat or a Paul, right? It's a great guitar, I love it. But it's neither a Strat nor a Paul. It's just a great guitar in its own way.

Same thing goes for my Boogie amp. It sounds fantastic, I really love it, and will probably never part with it. But for all its knobs, it still always sounds like a Boogie. Maybe 100 different Boogies, but they're all Boogies. No Marshall or Fender hiding in there.

Josh (PA)
05-14-2015, 10:49 AM
I followed an M4 to work today in whatever the new version of Sterling Gray is. The color was awesome, a really nice liquid gray. The car looked a lot better than your standard 4 series, sounded great from behind and was significantly faster than my 135. In that color, it was not over the top or showy.

I liked it more than a little. I might have even like liked it.

Sharp11
05-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Guilty as charged.

I have a Music Man "super strat" type guitar I bought with that kind of thinking... bridge humbucker, two single-coils. Should be able to fill the role of either a Strat or a Paul, right? It's a great guitar, I love it. But it's neither a Strat nor a Paul. It's just a great guitar in its own way.

Same thing goes for my Boogie amp. It sounds fantastic, I really love it, and will probably never part with it. But for all its knobs, it still always sounds like a Boogie. Maybe 100 different Boogies, but they're all Boogies. No Marshall or Fender hiding in there.

That's how I ended up with a Tele and a Les Paul, plus three vintage Fender amps, a Dr Z (for the brit thing), a Mesa Boogie V Twin tube pedal and a dozen or so other pedals of all types. ;) Lots of sounds.

One piano, though - my Yamaha C5 ;-), and one Gretsch drum set.

Plaz
05-14-2015, 01:38 PM
That's how I ended up with a Tele and a Les Paul, plus three vintage Fender amps, a Dr Z (for the brit thing), a Mesa Boogie V Twin tube pedal and a dozen or so other pedals of all types. ;) Lots of sounds.

One piano, though - my Yamaha C5 ;-), and one Gretsch drum set.

The closest thing I have to a Les Paul is an old 335 knockoff ("Vantage") that I bought from a Boston pawn shop where I was working in the late 80s. It's actually a really great guitar, I still play it as much as the MM Silhouette.

I have an old Chickering spinet piano which is fine, but generally use my Kurzweil PC3k for everything keyboard. I love it for piano and orchestra sounds especially, but wonder if the many soft synths have really overtaken it in quality at this point. Although rather than soft synths, it seems like everybody and their sister-in-law has a Nord these days for classic analog synth and organ sounds.

I have a POS Pearl Export kit which is perfectly fine for my purposes. I drool over your grand and your Gretcsh. And your Les Paul, for that matter. I will get a Paul someday. And an SG. (and a 175, and a Strat, and a Tele, and a Marshall, and a Twin Reverb... LOL)

Pinecone
05-15-2015, 03:46 PM
You are a TRUE carmudgeon equ!! You flip cars like pancakes. I am going on 7y with the M5. I think I need to turn in my membership.

Hmmmmm. Why am I here?????

E46 M3 - 12 years
E36 M Roadster - 12.5 years
Jeep Grand Cherokee - 13 years

Fiat Abarth is "new" at coming up on 3 years.

Nick M3
05-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Nick, relevant to a discussion in a different thread, what do you think about an S50/S52 swap in an E39? Would that have enough beans to be worth doing, and could you preserve the (presumably better, though I don't know) steering from the six cylinder car?

M54B30. Easy, emissions legal, better torque delivery. Only makes sense if you want a wagon, obviously.

The delta in feel is HUGE going from a 528iT to the 3.0.

And yes, the steering is a LOT better.