PDA

View Full Version : BMW i3 - Test Ride

lupinsea
03-31-2015, 01:53 PM
A co-worker recently purchased / taken delivery of his new i3 and last week I had a chance to go for a ride in it.

I must say that it's quite a stunning machine. The interior looks fantastic in person. The attention to details and use of materials is great, especially the flowing wood trim on the dash board. The rear suicide doors work well for rear-seat access. There were three of us in the car as we went for lunch and everyone had plenty of room.

What surprised me was the acceleration. Granted, this is no Tesla Model S but it was also the first time I've been in an electric car. Dat electric torque . . . definitely addictive. Just a consistent, solid, silent shove up to speed. The i3 seem surprisingly fast to me. Seat-of-the-pants feel was probably about on par with my mom's new CTS AWD w/ the turbo-four (another surprising car to me). However, unlike the CTS there was zero delay or lag waiting for power from the motor. Stomp the throttle and it goes. No gear changes or anything.

What was further surprising is that as fast as it felt to me, my co-worker said he could tell a noticeable difference between when he drive's solo and having two extra passenger.

Anyways, other notables:

I get a kick out of the skinny wheels on it. I don't think I've see wheels that skinny . . . . hm, not on any car I can remember.

Ride was pleasantly firm but not punishing. About what I remember from the BMWs I've ridden in (probably a "duh" on this one).

I think all the exterior body panels are plastic it.

Open the door you can you see the carbon fiber chassis on the door sill. They didn't bother to cover it up.

My co-worker opted for the pure electric without the range extender. He's using it as his city car here in Seattle and keeps an older Mercedes as it long-distance car.

And I think he said the car uses a heat pump for the HVAC system instead of traditional heater cores and A/C compressor (which makes sense) further improving the efficiency of the system.

Jeff_DML
03-31-2015, 02:21 PM
when I test drove one there was a big throttle delay but then the electric torque and yeah it was quick feeling.

edit: my test drive thread

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=79231

blee
03-31-2015, 02:21 PM
I saw my first one on the road while driving home yesterday. Have never sat in one or driven one, but the exterior styling is certainly unique. I wouldn't call that part of it stunning. :)

ZBB
03-31-2015, 02:40 PM
I need to go take a test drive. From pics, the interior does look good. But I really can't get over the exterior -- I've seen a few on the road and they just look odd...

Biggest issue for me is the EV-only range being similar to a Leaf. Might be sufficient for most days, but I do over 100 miles on the same day on a weekend every month or two and I'd hate to have to stop for a slow charge (there are no "SAE Combo" DC chargers in AZ yet...)... The range extender hybrid version would cover those scenarios, but is crippled (it doubles range to ~150 miles, but the extra miles are kind of in a "limp home" mode with reduced power avail...).

bren
03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
I need to go take a test drive. From pics, the interior does look good. But I really can't get over the exterior -- I've seen a few on the road and they just look odd...

Biggest issue for me is the EV-only range being similar to a Leaf. Might be sufficient for most days, but I do over 100 miles on the same day on a weekend every month or two and I'd hate to have to stop for a slow charge (there are no "SAE Combo" DC chargers in AZ yet...)... The range extender hybrid version would cover those scenarios, but is crippled (it doubles range to ~150 miles, but the extra miles are kind of in a "limp home" mode with reduced power avail...).

The i3 is a city car. Not a "trip" car.

I had one as a loaner for several days. The trunk space is pretty terrible, and I had a hard time getting the car seat in correctly. It was actually kind of fun in a novel way, though I'm not sure how it'd be long term. I could see picking one up as a dd if they weren't so grossly over priced for the toy that it is.

ZBB
03-31-2015, 03:52 PM
I was talking about city use, not trips...

While the average daily commute in the US is 30-35 miles, it doesn't mean that people don't drive more than that in one day, even around the same city.

In my case, my daily use is 50-55 miles M-F, and anywhere from 0 to 120 on a weekend day. That excludes "trips" -- just in-town driving... Any EV with <150 mile range doesn't make much sense to me, even if I only need the upper end of the range 3-4 times per year...

Edit: The 2nd gen Leaf is supposedly targeting a minimum of 150 mile battery (which may get upped to 200 mile since the Chevy Bolt announcement...). 150-200 miles means that EV's can replace all but the "road trip" type drives (and even those can be replaced with a Supercharger-style DC charging network -- and I have over 5k Supercharger-fueled miles on my car...).

bren
03-31-2015, 04:03 PM
I was talking about city use, not trips...

While the average daily commute in the US is 30-35 miles, it doesn't mean that people don't drive more than that in one day, even around the same city.

Yeah, they're called Taxi drivers - hardly normal "city car" commuter types. ;)

lupinsea
04-02-2015, 01:15 PM
My co-worker bought it as a city car. And while the interior is great, well done, and a lot of fun visually and tactilely (sp?) I'm not keen on the exterior styling. But then, I'm not really keen on cars with similar proportions (Honda Element, Scion Xd / Xb or whatever they are, and so forth).

Anyways, I was surprised by the performance and handling.

Our round trip to and from the office was probably 4-5 miles (not far) but it was a lot of acceleration for much of the trip (stop and go city driving, brief sprints through clear traffic up to, well, plenty fast). We started out with remaining range of 63mi and ended up with a remaining range of 64mi. Not quite sure how that worked.

bren
04-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Our round trip to and from the office was probably 4-5 miles (not far) but it was a lot of acceleration for much of the trip (stop and go city driving, brief sprints through clear traffic up to, well, plenty fast). We started out with remaining range of 63mi and ended up with a remaining range of 64mi. Not quite sure how that worked.
I noticed that also in my short commute - the regenerative braking works really well in that thing.