PDA

View Full Version : longer term e46 maintenance

Jeff_DML
07-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I know there are a few of you with older higher mileage e46 and was hoping to share what you have had to do.

Our wagon will be turning 6 years old in march and has 78k miles on it. Last time I did service was 60k and I change the oil every 10k mileage with mobil 1.

so far it has been pretty reliable.Had the check engine light come on recently and it ended up being a bad O2 and cam sensor. Also last time I got it aligned the guy told me some of the bushings are worn and need to be replaced, havent done it yet. Also the car feels a bit bouncier then new so thinking maybe the struts are going out.

Anything I should expect to break/need replacing in the next 20k or so miles?

TIA
jeff

Nick M3
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Engine mounts are getting pretty worn by now. Aside from that, you'll want to replace most of the rest of your suspension bushings in the next 20K.

Jeff_DML
07-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Engine mounts are getting pretty worn by now. Aside from that, you'll want to replace most of the rest of your suspension bushings in the next 20K.

thanks, could the worn suspension bushing cause the bouncy/less buttondowned feeling? or do you think the struts are going out or maybe i am imagining things:D (wifes car so I dont drive it all the time)

Nick M3
07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
thanks, could the worn suspension bushing cause the bouncy/less buttondowned feeling? or do you think the struts are going out or maybe i am imagining things:D (wifes car so I dont drive it all the time)
It's all of the above, really. At least in my xiT, the rear shocks were REALLY lame.

Pinecone
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Shocks/struts are probably about gone.

Bushings are getting soft/torn.

Both will make it feel MUCH better.

Any word on E46 water pumps, thermostat housing and radiators?

Nick M3
07-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Shocks/struts are probably about gone.

Bushings are getting soft/torn.

Both will make it feel MUCH better.

Any word on E46 water pumps, thermostat housing and radiators?
Preventative maintenance done at 125K on the race car. :p They all looked good to me.

Jeff_DML
07-13-2007, 11:40 AM
brainfart above, meant shocks not struts.

bushings are a PIA to change out yourself right? need a press to push them in or something.

Nick M3
07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
brainfart above, meant shocks not struts.

bushings are a PIA to change out yourself right? need a press to push them in or something.
rear shocks/front struts. ;)

IMHO, the rear subframe/suspension bushingsare are probably fine. You need new RTABs (RTAB tool available for liek $90 from victory design products, or use a sawzall and replace with powerflex), new control arm bushings (no press needed if you spring for new lollipops - just soak the bushing with Dawn. Grease will NOT work.)

rumatt
07-13-2007, 11:57 AM
dawn > grease ?

I've heard dawn before, but wasn't sure why. :scratch:

Jeff_DML
07-13-2007, 12:03 PM
thanks, I am sure I will get raped if I take it into a shop to be done. Figure if I start to put decent money into the car then maybe I should just sell it and get the wifey something different.

rumatt
07-13-2007, 12:10 PM
I think some money spent on bushings and shocks is money well spent and I will have no problem doing it. I just rolled past 50K miles so it's time for me to do this soon.

The real risk IMO is if I do this, and then there is a larger failure: the subframe falls apart, some kind of electrical problem, etc. That will be depressing.

Nick M3
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
dawn > grease ?

I've heard dawn before, but wasn't sure why. :scratch:
We once tried grease - after fighting for a LONG time (including applying the brute force power of Alex), we gave up. The bushings went right on with Dawn.

Jeff_DML
07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I think some money spent on bushings and shocks is money well spent and I will have no problem doing it. I just rolled past 50K miles so it's time for me to do this soon.

The real risk IMO is if I do this, and then there is a larger failure: the subframe falls apart, some kind of electrical problem, etc. That will be depressing.

i might trying selling the wagon to a BMW CCA member so I figure they would want to at least change out the shocks/springs to something more aggressive. I assume there are stiffer bushings than stock too?

dont see to many normal bmw buyers looking for a wagon with a stick, no sunroof and vinyl seats:D

Nick M3
07-13-2007, 01:08 PM
i might trying selling the wagon to a BMW CCA member so I figure they would want to at least change out the shocks/springs to something more aggressive. I assume there are stiffer bushings than stock too?

dont see to many normal bmw buyers looking for a wagon with a stick, no sunroof and vinyl seats:D
GC Hybrid FCABs, powerflex RTABs. It's a whole new world of steering response with the GC hybrids. And they don't make noise, either. :thumbup:

Plaz
07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Check your strut towers and subframe

Jeff_DML
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
GC Hybrid FCABs, powerflex RTABs. It's a whole new world of steering response with the GC hybrids. And they don't make noise, either. :thumbup:

I believe it. I changed the steering rack bushings in my wrx, made a huge difference, pretty much removed any slop when you first start steering off center

Pinecone
07-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Did PowerFlex ever bring out their FCAs?

The other good thing about using Dawn is when it dries, it actually sticks the rubber to the metal, unlike grease, which remains slick.

But it was funny, pushing, shoving and getting frustrated. Cleaned the bushings, dripped on some Dawn, they went on so easily that it almost caused an accident from pushing too hard.

Jeff_DML
02-20-2008, 07:59 PM
valve gasket started going out so it started leaking oil. Had a shop track it down and they said I needed to change out the serpentine and drive belts which I had them do. They said the wagon looked good to go, currently at 6yrs and 83k miles. Now need to get my first smog done for registration.

edit: shop lady was very talkative, according to her never buy an audi or vw unless you want it in her shop all the time.

dan
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
ours is 5 years and around 55,000 miles now

haven't had to fix anything besides my tail light yet.

FC
02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
ours is 5 years and around 55,000 miles now

haven't had to fix anything besides my tail light yet.

Mine is just shy of five years and just shy of 51K miles. Nothing yet. These threads always make me question keeping the ZHP.