PDA

View Full Version : Three Row Crossovers (for a friend)

JST
03-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Any new experience with 3 row crossovers, to share with a friend who wants additional space?

My general go-to has been the CX-9 and/or GM Traverse/Acadia, but both of those are getting really long-in-tooth. The Explorer is interesting, but is also underpinned by a pretty ancient (and heavy) platform.

Alex, did you recently pick up a Durango? How has that been?

I like the new XC90, but it's a non-starter for political reasons. The Disco Sport also is intriguing, but may be too small (i.e., the third row looks very occasional and probably sucks up most luggage space when deployed).

Plaz
03-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I like the new XC90, but it's a non-starter for political reasons.

Damn Swedes, always pissing everybody off. Is your friend upset about their latest cartoon controversy? (http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/01/15/swedish-genital-cartoon-kids-sparks-controversy)

Josh (PA)
03-18-2015, 10:57 AM
had a couple of MDX's. They're as advertised... decent Honda product. Not much room in the back with the seats folded up. Lots of tech (most of which has been lawyered to infuriating levels), drives acceptably, good use of space / overall size.

I've always been most impressed with Discos from a space, comfort, 3rd row execution perspective. I'd have gone that route over the MDX if it was purely my choice.

is the new X5 out of consideration? Mercedes GL? What are your friend's primary considerations?

bren
03-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Damn Swedes, always pissing everybody off.

Chinese now isn't it...

I'm not sure, but I think the Disco Sport thing is small - like not even x5 sized which means the third row can't possibly hold real sized people.

Does this friend really need the latest architecture? We had a Traverse rental and it wasn't that bad, or I should say certainly no worse than any other "normal" suv.

JST
03-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Chinese now isn't it...

I'm not sure, but I think the Disco Sport thing is small - like not even x5 sized which means the third row can't possibly hold real sized people.

Does this friend really need the latest architecture? We had a Traverse rental and it wasn't that bad, or I should say certainly no worse than any other "normal" suv.

Yes, the Chinese thing is a deal breaker.

No, probably not. The Acadia/Traverse may still be the winner--I just wondered whether there's anything else out there.

Josh (PA)
03-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Chinese now isn't it...

Just to clarify my comment, I was referring to the LR4 Discovery, not the new Disco Sport. The LR4 is really well laid out.

bren
03-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Also, the Discovery Sport is going to have a 2.0 engine. I'm really skepticle of how great that's going to be when loaded up with 7 people. oof

I'm intrigued by the new Volvo, we'll probably give it a look once they are around.

BahnBaum
03-18-2015, 12:08 PM
The Durango has pretty much fit the bill. About a year in and with 18,000 miles we've had zero issues. Lots of space for hauling and when we do use the 3rd seat it's always with adults and no one has ever complained.

It's comfortable, albeit somewhat boring to drive. What does liven things up is the V6 coupled with the 8 speed transmission. Hard starts from a stop (like quickly entering traffic) yields sometimes inconsistent results unless you drop it into 1st before you go. I've been surprised more than once and its an uncomfortable feeling. Now, I just assume it could be a pig and wait for a bigger opening.

Doing it over, I might consider the 5.7, although to be honest we're averaging over 20 mpg in all around use, and my wife doesn't care about the V6 so who knows.

Anyway, for what I paid for it I can't imagine anything would have been a better fit for us.

Alex

JST
03-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Just to clarify my comment, I was referring to the LR4 Discovery, not the new Disco Sport. The LR4 is really well laid out.

How much space does the LR4 have behind the seats when the 3rd row is up?

FC
03-18-2015, 12:49 PM
How much space does the LR4 have behind the seats when the 3rd row is up?

Not a lot. About the same as the MCS (R56) in terms of depth, but it is wider. It's got crazy head room and is very comfortable for adults back there. Lots of glass all around too (and its own glass roof).

JST
03-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Also, the Discovery Sport is going to have a 2.0 engine. I'm really skepticle of how great that's going to be when loaded up with 7 people. oof

I'm intrigued by the new Volvo, we'll probably give it a look once they are around.

The Volvo is also a 2.0L, fwiw, though it's both turbocharged and supercharged so you can live out your Group B rally fantasies.

Josh (PA)
03-18-2015, 01:06 PM
http://www.trueconsumerreviews.com/attribute/142/158/Land-Rover-LR4/Rear-Cargo-Area/

http://www.trueconsumerreviews.com/files/lr4/Land_Rover_LR4_3rd_Seats_Up.JPG

JST
03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
http://www.trueconsumerreviews.com/attribute/142/158/Land-Rover-LR4/Rear-Cargo-Area/

http://www.trueconsumerreviews.com/files/lr4/Land_Rover_LR4_3rd_Seats_Up.JPG

Thanks--that's a helpful web site.

lupinsea
03-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Yes, the Chinese thing is a deal breaker.

Huh. From what I understand the Chinese ownership is just that, ownership. The vehicles are still designed, engineered, and built in the same Volvo plants in Sweden and Northern Europe that they have been.

The Acadia/Traverse may still be the winner--I just wondered whether there's anything else out there.

I remember taking a close (internet) look at the Acadia / Traverse twins when my mom was in the market a while ago. They checked a lot of boxes and seemed to me to make a lot of sense. I don't know how well they work as a 3rd row people hauler but they had pretty cavernous cargo volume, available with AWD, and seemed to have a decently potent V6 and ok fuel economy given the size / weight.

Also, FWIW, there is a Buick Enclave version that has a nicer interior than the more down market Traverse and Acadia if that might be a thing.

If I were in the market again for such a vehicle I'd take a close look at it again.

Older platforms aren't necessarily bad. They've had time to mature and get some of the teething issues worked out.

FC
03-18-2015, 01:40 PM
That website is retarded.

1)It has massive amounts of room with the 3rd row seats down.
2)The inept reviewers did not make the 2nd row seats go flush when folded.
3)It has a proper tailgate (with a roof), which is great
4)No need to "bend over the tailgate" Just reach in with the gate up. Admittedly if it is something small up against the back of the 2nd row, you will have to climb in. But that's more a function of it being a tall car with a large storage area.

But yes, 3rd row seats are a bit of a PITA to use and as I mentioned, cargo behind 3rd row is small.

bren
03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks--that's a helpful web site.

Is it? How exactly are they measuring that the x6 falls ahead of the x5?

Top Rear Cargo Area in Medium Luxury SUV
1Cadillac SRX
2Audi Q7
3BMW X6
4Land Rover Range Rover Sport
5BMW X5
6Lexus GX460
7Volvo XC90
8Land Rover LR4

Oh, and Q7 - that's another 3 row option, as is the Lexus if your "friend" is a toyota person.

ZBB
03-18-2015, 02:32 PM
What about MB GL or an X5?

If the Volvo and LR are being considered, I'd at least test drive those...

Josh (PA)
03-18-2015, 02:34 PM
+1 on everything FC said and Bren's comments re: X6 vs X5. I thought the pictures were useful, but found the website via google.

Josh (PA)
03-18-2015, 02:44 PM
One other thought on this. From your comments about space behind the 3rd row, it sounds like this friend will be using the 7 seats a lot. If that is the case, just get a minivan (or a suburban).

The SUVs being discussed are great for 5 people + a decent amount of stuff, and occasional 7 people transport. None of them will work to take 7ppl and a lot of stuff on vacation (without a roof box).

The SUV layout of 2, 3, 2 makes regular adult ingress / egress into the back row obnoxious, but it works really well for 2 + 3 + a bunch of crap. A minivan has much better seating arrangements for accessing the back row.

The LR4 has the best interior dimensions for the above applications, imho.

blee
03-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Josh beat me to it, but if that third row is going to be used a lot, I would suggest looking at a Suburban or a minivan. (I suppose the Expedition should be part of this conversation, but having spent two weeks around a rental version, I would take the GM product over it.)

bren
03-18-2015, 03:55 PM
The Lambda stuff is pretty much a minivan in suv clothing

http://image.motortrend.com/f/photo_gallery/suvs/1107_2012_chevrolet_traverse_photo_gallery/37690521/2012-chevrolet-traverse-ltz-interior-view.jpg

Of course all of this is trivial without knowing more about this "friend" and what they currently drive, and the budget, and other requirements and whatnot.

FC
03-18-2015, 04:01 PM
+1 on everything FC said and Bren's comments re: X6 vs X5. I thought the pictures were useful, but found the website via google.

I do like the photos, including the other categories. But the ratings and comments seem to have been made by clueless people.

Josh (PA)
03-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Of course all of this is trivial without knowing more about this "friend" and what they currently drive, and the budget, and other requirements and whatnot.

a tesla, a boxster and a Golf R

bren
03-18-2015, 06:23 PM

That's one hell of a coincidence.

In that case, maybe this friend would be interested in the Q7 hybrid.

JST
03-18-2015, 08:54 PM
The Tesla is my 3 row SUV. This really is a friend's question.

If it were me, I'd probably buy a Q7 TDI and be done with it.

ZBB
03-18-2015, 11:04 PM

Why did I think of this when reading this response?

http://09dcbed70132522ff6ac295a.newyorkparkingti.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Carnac-the-magnificent-fights-nyc-parking-tickets.jpg

ZBB
03-18-2015, 11:05 PM
The Tesla is my 3 row SUV. This really is a friend's question.

If it were me, I'd probably buy a Q7 TDI and be done with it.

What is it with you and long-in-the-tooth SUV designs?

RMR
03-19-2015, 09:32 AM
The new redesigned 2016 Honda Pilot should be available in June.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1502_2016_honda_pilot_first_look/
(http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1502_2016_honda_pilot_first_look/)

wdc330i
03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Our neighbor has a Buick Enclave to shuttle his four kids around. It's done quite well in the snow we've had, with just all-season tires. His Honda Minivan couldn't get up our driveway, even with its AWD.

Also, something to consider if they only occasionally need the third row capacity, is the Mercedes E350 wagon, which has a fold up jump seat in the back. Although it's probably horribly unsafe (the clamshell tailgate in the X5 is designed that way to absorb a 50 mph impact and protect the third row passengers, for instance.)

JST
03-19-2015, 10:06 AM
What is it with you and long-in-the-tooth SUV designs?

I just want something mildly interesting. The TDI definitely qualifies as interesting, even if it doesn't reach the threshold of "good."

That's why the other things on my own personal list would be the twin turbo Flex, the twin turbo Expedition, the LR4, the Disco Sport, and the Durango R/T. I recognize that none of these are the best actual choice for someone who values practicality above all else, though.

Alan
03-20-2015, 08:43 AM
I would definitely go and try the MDX ... We test drove one before we got our truck and it was a great vehicle. It had a great engine, handled really nicely for an suv and the price was reasonable.

If your friend can wait and wants something less expensive the new pilot looks like it is going to be a winner.

Also don't forget the pathfinder ...

As far as the Volvo, we had the XC90 and it went through tires and brakes almost as quickly as it went through gas. Seriously the wear and tear items went fast.