PDA

View Full Version : SAT radio receiver AUX-in?

lemming
06-28-2007, 06:30 AM
are there satellite radio receivers in the aftermarket that can plug into an OEM head unit via AUX-IN ports?

you know how cars are increasingly coming with these iPod 3.5mm connections for the head units? i was wondering if satellite radio receivers can also patch in the same way?

TD
06-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Sure. But you can't control them except through their own interfaces (not through the headunit).

The aux input only made this type of connection easier. But there have been all sorts of adapters on the market for years to enable hard-wiring of things like XM into your car stereo. Hell, I hard wired XM into the CD changer wiring on my E36 M3. The only extra cost was a $90 Blitzsafe adapter.

If you're looking at today's Woot, that car unit base has that type of jack as it's output. So a male to male "headphone" wire (I don't know it's proper name) would connect you.

JST
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
are there satellite radio receivers in the aftermarket that can plug into an OEM head unit via AUX-IN ports?

you know how cars are increasingly coming with these iPod 3.5mm connections for the head units? i was wondering if satellite radio receivers can also patch in the same way?

I have one in my car. As TD says, a male-to-male* headphone wire is all you need.

*Not available in Texas.

operknockity
06-28-2007, 08:53 AM
*Not available in Texas.
:lol: :lol:

lemming
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
thanks, guys.

thinking ahead trying because i'd not like life without satellite radio methinks.

Rob
06-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I have noticed that while I am sometimes aggravated by the lack of satelite radio, for the most part I have not missed it. Not enough to go through the hassle of a proper install on the current daily driver, anyway.

TD
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I have noticed that while I am sometimes aggravated by the lack of satelite radio, for the most part I have not missed it. Not enough to go through the hassle of a proper install on the current daily driver, anyway.
I've been XM-less in my E90 and, while I do miss it a lot at times, it hasn't been bad enough for me to bother doing some hack install.

Not having a lot of free time lately has helped me ignore the issue.

JST
06-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I've been XM-less in my E90 and, while I do miss it a lot at times, it hasn't been bad enough for me to bother doing some hack install.

Not having a lot of free time lately has helped me ignore the issue.

Ahem.

"Hack" install?

For less than 100 bucks you can have an install that looks (seriously) very close to OEM, is completely concealable, and takes less than 20 minutes to implement.

lemming
06-28-2007, 05:45 PM
i think at this point, i'll see which car i go with and then wait for the official XM/Sirius merger.

most cars of note seem to come pre-wired for easy aux-in access.

TD
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
i think at this point, i'll see which car i go with and then wait for the official XM/Sirius merger.

most cars of note seem to come pre-wired for easy aux-in access.
I'd bet the merger never goes through.

TD
06-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Ahem.

"Hack" install?

For less than 100 bucks you can have an install that looks (seriously) very close to OEM, is completely concealable, and takes less than 20 minutes to implement.
Of course you know that I haven't really assessed what you did in terms of difficulty or cost. Yes, it looks more than acceptably OE. I may have to dig a bit deeper. (Losing every other weekend to school is biting into my ability to worry about stuff like this.)

operknockity
06-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Ahem.

"Hack" install?

Or, we can fly the real Hack out to you and have him install it in true Hack style :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

operknockity
06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
I'd bet the merger never goes through.
I'll take that bet.