PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Reviews: 2014 Dodge Charger

Nick M3
02-10-2015, 06:24 AM
The 2014 Dodge Charger.

First things first, let me just say that this is the first rental car that I can think of that has actually made me say to myself "huh, that’s actually ok."

In short, in spite of the fact that I have no idea where the 292hp that the spec sheet claims goes between the engine and the rear wheels, it's a genuinely decent large scale cruiser. It's quiet, rides well, handles like a large RWD car, and while the steering is numb, it directs the car in a natural way. By a huge margin, it kicks the shit out of any other car I've rented. In fact, given how cheap they are, if I were actually in the market for a large car, I'd have to consider it. Too bad they aren't sold with a manual. :(

I guess, even today, the W210 DNA is helping Dodge out. The only real negative is that it's just so fucking big.

Net-net, this is the car to rent in America.

clyde
02-10-2015, 09:07 AM
The 2014 Dodge Charger.

First things first, let me just say that this is the first rental car that I can think of that has actually made me say to myself "huh, that’s actually ok."

In short, in spite of the fact that I have no idea where the 292hp that the spec sheet claims goes between the engine and the rear wheels, it's a genuinely decent large scale cruiser. It's quiet, rides well, handles like a large RWD car, and while the steering is numb, it directs the car in a natural way. By a huge margin, it kicks the shit out of any other car I've rented. In fact, given how cheap they are, if I were actually in the market for a large car, I'd have to consider it. Too bad they aren't sold with a manual. :(

I guess, even today, the W210 DNA is helping Dodge out. The only real negative is that it's just so fucking big.

Net-net, this is the car to rent in America.

:lol:

I remember saying the same kind of things when we rented one to go to Detroit with Alex and you sat in the back seat the whole way up and back because you were too young to drive it.

JST
02-10-2015, 10:16 AM

I remember saying the same kind of things when we rented one to go to Detroit with Alex and you sat in the back seat the whole way up and back because you were too young to drive it.

"The Charger is a nicer rental than I expected" should be our next meme.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=57805&highlight=charger+rental

But, seriously, I had the same feeling Nick did when we lived with one for a couple of weeks in 2012. It's a big car but surprisingly competent. Makes you feel like a cop, too. The urge to slide across the hood is nearly irresistible.

wdc330i
02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
The urge to slide across the hood is nearly irresistible.

Jeff_DML
04-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I am on the big Island now and had the choice of a Sonata, Malibu or charger. So choose the charger for something different.

-is there actually supposed to be 292hp in this thing? Find that hard to believe, barely have been able to pass anything.
-auto reminds me why I hate autos, need to slam the gas to to floor to make it downshift for the little power. Otherwise it is aggressively trying to be in the highest gear possible.
-brakes seemed to be warped bad, pad deposits when coming down from elevation.
-huge car yet interior does not seem accordingly big. Also bit of a tank view with high side sills and small Windows.
-guess it seems rear wheel drive from steering perspective

With all that said, once I have gotten use to the size and visibility it is a decent car for cruising around the island. Getting around 24 mpg which is seems pretty good. I would prefer something like a focus since my family does not need the size though.

Jeff_DML
04-07-2015, 09:25 PM
The Charger and Apple maps told me to go straight

Nick M3
04-07-2015, 10:28 PM
The Charger is 4,000lbs. and has an engine that makes peak torque at 4,800 RPMs. (Bizarrely.)

So, yeah, between the weight and the weirdly rev engine, the V6 feels pretty slow.

The best description of the power plant is that it's adequate.

John V
04-08-2015, 06:04 AM
Who the fuck uses Apple Maps?

Jeff_DML
04-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Who the fuck uses Apple Maps?

My wife.

Google maps did have our condo mislabeled and had us go to the Marriott instead.

robg
04-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Got a charger as rental car a few years ago and was also kind of excited to try it. Pretty disappointed overall-- my main complaint being that the seats were just downright uncomfortable. I do sort of like the looks. Maybe they've improved things with the facelift though.

ff
04-24-2015, 01:14 PM
my main complaint being that the seats were just downright uncomfortable.

I'm yet to sit in a domestic vehicle with comfortable seats. Usually too soft, no lower back support, and non-adjustable headrests that push your head too far forward.