From M3post via jalopnik:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67388

Nice collection of shots.

Sharp11
06-16-2007, 11:34 PM
From M3post via jalopnik:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67388

Nice collection of shots.

Interesting, seems to share more body panels with its counterpart sedan than the coupe does.

New front end looks good on the sedan, they need to restyle it on the regular sedan models, too (IMO).

An M3 sedan might actually make more sense than the coupe version.

Ed

blee
06-17-2007, 12:16 AM
I like how the rear roundel is blacked out. Gee, I wonder who makes this undercover vehicle?

SCA
06-17-2007, 02:05 AM
It does nothing for me, especially compared to the 135i coupe. I can afford the 1er, the E9X M3 is out of my price range. Esp. for a daily driver. :rolleyes:

Theo
06-17-2007, 03:50 PM
It does nothing for me, especially compared to the 135i coupe. I can afford the 1er, the E9X M3 is out of my price range. Esp. for a daily driver. :rolleyes:

What he said.

TD
06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Yup. The E90/E92/E93 M3 is going to cost more than I am willing to pay for a BMW. If I'm ever willing and able to drop $70K on a daily driver, it's going to be a Porsche.

nate
06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I hope they make an E90 M3 4dr. The E90 coupe is hideous, but the sedan is alright. It looks very good in M3 form.

Theo
06-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Yup. The E90/E92/E93 M3 is going to cost more than I am willing to pay for a BMW. If I'm ever willing and able to drop $70K on a daily driver, it's going to be a Porsche.

Exactly. I dropped enough coin on the E46 and probably not doing that again in a long while.

This is why the 135i excites me also!

SCA
06-17-2007, 07:27 PM
If I'm ever willing and able to drop $70K on a daily driver, it's going to be a Porsche.

:+1

lemming
06-17-2007, 08:02 PM
can anyone else explain to me why they don't see the need to use racing-type brakes? they use a racing-type engine and a racing type transmission.

it's going to be a brilliant car.

it'll just be an iffy proposition on the 9th lap to try to stop the thing.

bren
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Ooh, are those cloth seats? That's the highlight of the car IMO.

ZBB
06-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I hope they make an E90 M3 4dr. The E90 coupe is hideous, but the sedan is alright. It looks very good in M3 form.

I think the E90 coupe (er E92...) is much better looking than the sedan. No moustache on the kidneys, less flame surfacing on the sides, and better looking tail lights...

John V
06-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Are they really going to release the car with that huge wart on the hood? :ack:

The E90's looks can't hold a candle to the E92. The E92, especially in that blue they offer, is really stunning.

blee
06-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Are they really going to release the car with that huge wart on the hood? :ack:

The E90's looks can't hold a candle to the E92. The E92, especially in that blue they offer, is really stunning.
What he said. They somehow took the standard four-door sedan and nudged the lines in all the right places. The proportions look great, the lines flow like they should. It's damn sexy. There's no question which version I'd buy if I were looking for one today, child seat be damned.

JST
06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
What he said. They somehow took the standard four-door sedan and nudged the lines in all the right places. The proportions look great, the lines flow like they should. It's damn sexy. There's no question which version I'd buy if I were looking for one today, child seat be damned.

Just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste. To my eyes, the E92 looks way too long and saggy in the middle and has a big huge tapering ass that evokes an old Sebring convertible crossed with a wasp. It's too delicate looking for me; I wouldn't buy a coupe under any circumstances, even leaving aside the practicality issues. I like the sedan a whole lot better, in no small part because it actually looks more muscular.

But neither of them look as good as the E46 versions.

FT@SGP
06-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I do agree; the E46 M3 was really special looking, quite unique. I remember seeing the first photo of it in a British mag, in black, sideways... it was stunning. The new version(s) lacks that attractiveness IMO. But I don't doubt they will sell quite a few of them; however, is it really going to be priced at the same level as the RS4? At ~$70K... umm, I think it will be over-priced for their target audience and probably will push more people towards Porsche.

FC
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste. To my eyes, the E92 looks way too long and saggy in the middle and has a big huge tapering ass that evokes an old Sebring convertible crossed with a wasp. It's too delicate looking for me; I wouldn't buy a coupe under any circumstances, even leaving aside the practicality issues. I like the sedan a whole lot better, in no small part because it actually looks more muscular.

But neither of them look as good as the E46 versions.

I agree with JST on all counts.

The E92 has a bit too much of the G35 coupe as far as the sides seeming much too long and boring.

TD
06-18-2007, 10:24 AM
I can't decide whether or not I like either one, the coupe or the sedan. I keep changing my mind on which one looks better and on if either or both is actually attractive. Right now I think none of them is attractive.

Sharp11
06-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Although there likely will be some folks who'd consider a Porsche over the upcoming M3 based on price alone, it's really an apples vs oranges comparison - the BMW in either variant, coupe or sedan, will have a level of practicality the Porsche can't match (plus the engine's in the right place) :dunno:

It's not really the car for me, but I think it's pretty nice.

But I thought the Z4 was attractive, mostly, so......

Ed

lemming
06-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I do agree; the E46 M3 was really special looking, quite unique. I remember seeing the first photo of it in a British mag, in black, sideways... it was stunning. The new version(s) lacks that attractiveness IMO. But I don't doubt they will sell quite a few of them; however, is it really going to be priced at the same level as the RS4? At ~$70K... umm, I think it will be over-priced for their target audience and probably will push more people towards Porsche.

yes.

my thoughts, too.

Rob
06-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm confused. The M3 is coming as a four door? When did that happen?

This car does nothing for me. It's bland and boring. Maybe a better color will change that.

Those of you who think the sedan looks better than the coupe (by about 20,000 miles) are correct. Those of you who don't need to go to school to improve your taste. :p

But they are both pretty much horrible compared to the e46 imo, and that's before you get to the interior.

John V
06-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Porsche does not currently make a vehicle to compete with the M3. The 911 has "some" of the practicality of the M3 and the M3 will have "some" of the performance of the 911. But they're really quite different cars.

Still... people do cross-shop them... does that mean they're competitors? :dunno:

FT@SGP
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Porsche does not currently make a vehicle to compete with the M3. The 911 has "some" of the practicality of the M3 and the M3 will have "some" of the performance of the 911. But they're really quite different cars.

Still... people do cross-shop them... does that mean they're competitors? :dunno:
As it has been discussed on this board in such detail that the cows actually came home finally; cars don't need to have the exact features to be competitors to one another.

I think at the end, many M3 buyers are looking for that 'special' feeling. What ever it is, they want the best in the line up. Those won't be satisfied with the 335 and if they can't afford the M3 or cannot convince themselves of the value, they'll pay for a Porsche, G37, Mitsu Evo X, S/RS4 or what ever. I know it just does not make sense; but car buying rarely is about logic for enthusiasts, right?

If BMW really prices the M3 that high, either they are really trying to make it quite exclusive, ala Porsche or Lotus, or they don't know what they are doing. I doubt it is the later though ;)

lemming
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
the M3 will always be a supreme 3 series so it's not exactly natural to compare it to a 911.

but when its price touches upon the base price of a 911, even if i had kids to consider, i'd prefer go to wih the thoroughbred and i'll bet for a lot of people, the new pricing will at the very least tempt them to look elsewhere to see what else that much money buys.

affluent people spend money, but they're not always as stupid as we think they are. (new money is that stupid)

zach
06-18-2007, 09:31 PM
are we sure it's really going to be 70k? I was under the impression that I'd be able to get one with some options for less than 60.

lemming
06-18-2007, 09:33 PM
i'm going to guess mid 60s.

i guess that's not so pricey so as to reach 911 territory, is it?

zach
06-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Not even that close, really. Wasn't that 997S in the oops thread listed at 91k?

blee
06-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I doubt the M3 will list in the mid 60s. My guess would be that it starts in the low 50s. If anything, potential buyers will cross shop with the Boxster/Cayman.

zach
06-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I doubt the M3 will list in the mid 60s. My guess would be that it starts in the low 50s. If anything, potential buyers will cross shop with the Boxster/Cayman.

I would like that. I would agree that the boxster/cayman are logical cross-shop targets for the new M3.

JST
06-18-2007, 11:04 PM

Well, 911s have a stupid array of options, and if you are looking at an S (or a C4S) that's much bigger money.

But if the M3 starts to get into the 60s reasonably well equipped, and a stripped 911 can be had for 70...I'd stretch for the Porsche. Or, more likely, I'd get a couple of year old Porsche.

Yes, 911s aren't as practical as M3s, and no one will cross shop the 911 and an E90 M3. But when push comes to shove I bet most people interested in M3s would rather have a 911, and if the money starts to look similar then BMW has an issue on its hands.

End of the day, though, I think the biggest M3 competitor is the 335.

FT@SGP
06-18-2007, 11:14 PM
You may be right; however, according to the Car mag this month the UK pricing of the new M3 is only 900Euro less than that of the RS4. If BMW keeps similar pricing for the US, that would mean a starting price of about $65K and with just few options, gas guzzler, tax, you are looking at over $70K out the door.

If that becomes true, the CoxterS, with the discounts available today, might look like a bargain :D

zach
06-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, 911s have a stupid array of options, and if you are looking at an S (or a C4S) that's much bigger money.

But if the M3 starts to get into the 60s reasonably well equipped, and a stripped 911 can be had for 70...I'd stretch for the Porsche. Or, more likely, I'd get a couple of year old Porsche.

Yes, 911s aren't as practical as M3s, and no one will cross shop the 911 and an E90 M3. But when push comes to shove I bet most people interested in M3s would rather have a 911, and if the money starts to look similar then BMW has an issue on its hands.

End of the day, though, I think the biggest M3 competitor is the 335.

I agree. I'm very tempted by the 335 but turned off by the overall softness and quietness of that experience. That said, my point of comparison (my car)may not be fair.

At current lease rates, assuming the new m3 doesn't lease well (which it won't), a 335i plus LSD install is sort of a no-brainer.