PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Ford GT

JST
01-12-2015, 09:49 AM
http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-it-1678893649?rev=1421073124631

Holy fuck.

OK, OK, no stick, no sale, blah blah blah, but jesus, look at that thing.

Twin turbo V6. 600 hp.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--t_2AWnWk--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/vjv2vi1oqg9ibjyprwlc.png

dan
01-12-2015, 10:15 AM
meh

bren
01-12-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm not sold on the rear wheel "pod" idea. And a 6 cylinder? booooooo

edit: definitely wild for a Ford though.

Hopefully this will get Chevy in the game....

edit II:

Just saw a pic with the doors open. WTF is wrong with "regular" doors?

zach
01-12-2015, 10:16 AM
I like it

Would have preferred v8 and manual

John V
01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Beautiful.

JST
01-12-2015, 10:32 AM
I like it

Would have preferred v8 and manual

Yes. The "Voodoo" V8 would have been nice. Then again, since I will never sit in one, let alone buy one, I guess I don't care that much.

The doors are basically the same as the i8. They are goofy. But I bet this thing is faster than an i8.

Probably burns more gas, though.

JST
01-12-2015, 10:32 AM
meh

pls check your pulse thx.

nate
01-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Looks awesome.

FC
01-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Awesome. Meh color and a little long, but all sorts fo awesome. Truly exotic.

I'd like to see one in red with outside lighting.

Jeff_DML
01-12-2015, 11:49 AM
looks pretty cool but I will take the gt350r

Plaz
01-12-2015, 11:51 AM
It's sexy. I also like how Ford seems to be going with blue cars for several of their reveals.

JST
01-12-2015, 11:54 AM
It's sexy. I also like how Ford seems to be going with blue cars for several of their reveals.

You know, now that you mention it I really appreciate that they *didn't* throw a set of white over-the-top stripes on it.

Since these cars are all the color of 66 percent of the cars I own, I approve.

RMR
01-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Love it. Ford is going in the right direction with this.

3LOU5
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
The "old" Ford GT with a V8 is rated at 550 hp, and is capable of going 0-60 in the mid-3's.

And now, Ford has developed this carbon-fibered car filled with lightweight materials and technology with a V6 rated at over 600 hp. Ford even declares that "it has one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any production car".

But yet some of you guys wish for a V8.

Hmmmm. Either you guys "need to get your pulse checked", or you have some wicked driving talent that I'm not fully aware of.

My opinion.

:mad2:

bren
01-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Ignoring the difference in power delivery, and nostalgia. Have you heard the noises that come out of a v8 vs. a v6? Yeah, no comparison. ;)

zach
01-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Ignoring the difference in power delivery, and nostalgia. Have you heard the noises that come out of a v8 vs. a v6? Yeah, no comparison. ;)

Exactly

nate
01-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Many more pictures: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/12/7531397/the-new-gt-is-the-sickest-car-ford-has-ever-made

bren
01-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I can't wait to see Clarkson comment on egress through those doors.

Many more pictures: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/12/7531397/the-new-gt-is-the-sickest-car-ford-has-ever-made
Seriously, what's the point in the women on stage? I guess this is what we get instead of painting the white racing stripes on the hood?

bren
01-12-2015, 01:02 PM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/LTej1J55ZZsL8VXeM-Oa4YqTebc=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2925298/ford-naias-100-1020.0.jpg

Is that the Focus RS sitting alone to the right?

lemming
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
(GM is rolling out a mid-engine C8, for those that asked)

This car is awesome.

Ford seems to know better than GM how to tune a powertrain sound, so I don't think I'd miss a V8 sound if they execute correctly on this, do you? really?

3LOU5
01-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I suppose you're right.

When you're paying that kind of money for a car, it's gotta sound juuuust right. It also has to have enough low end torque to smoke a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, insert-other-exotic-supercar-here, etc., off the line.

;)

lemming
01-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I suppose you're right.

When you're paying that kind of money for a car, it's gotta sound juuuust right. It also has to have enough low end torque to smoke a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, insert-other-exotic-supercar-here, etc., off the line.

;)

we all know the history of why the original Ford GT40 was made.....Ford has and can smash the European automakers to bits in racing. if they choose to.

JST
01-12-2015, 01:52 PM
One of the other Jalopnik articles noted that the class rules for the racing series it's likely going into call for a max displacement of 4.0L for turbocharged engines.

So, the answer to the question, why a V6? Is "because racecar."

equ
01-12-2015, 02:03 PM
I haven't gone through the gallery yet, but honestly not loving the looks. The front 3/4 is way to 'evora' to me with the long nosey overhang. The rear seems to be a mess in first glance. It just makes the 05-06 retro/simpler GT look that much better, IMHO. Also stick & v8, but yeah clean ones are $250k - 300k in this insane market.

bren
01-12-2015, 02:04 PM
One of the other Jalopnik articles noted that the class rules for the racing series it's likely going into call for a max displacement of 4.0L for turbocharged engines.

So, the answer to the question, why a V6? Is "because racecar."

Are their still racing series that require homologation?

John V
01-12-2015, 02:19 PM
The '05-06 (or whenever it was made) car looks cartoonish and digitized to me now. It looked pretty exotic back then, but... I don't know. I'd still rock one, for sure, but it doesn't really get my pulse racing anymore.

kognito
01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Have you heard the noises that come out of a v8 vs. a v6? Yeah, no comparison. ;)

Maybe they will fix that through the speakers, like VW and Audi

Theo
01-12-2015, 05:31 PM
The '05-06 (or whenever it was made) car looks cartoonish and digitized to me now. It looked pretty exotic back then, but... I don't know. I'd still rock one, for sure, but it doesn't really get my pulse racing anymore.

I disagree. I think the lines are still classic, understated and just right. To me the new one looks cartoonish. Esp the rear that looks like a batman concept car.

JST
01-12-2015, 06:41 PM
I disagree. I think the lines are still classic, understated and just right. To me the new one looks cartoonish. Esp the rear that looks like a batman concept car.

I have very little doubt that the back end is shaped that way also because racecar. I'm guessing that's an important part of the car's aero tuning. Which is an excuse that excuses a lot.

JST
01-12-2015, 07:21 PM
A couple of further tidbits, from reading various press releases and so on.

This engine is "derived from" the V6 that Ford is already running in Daytona prototype classes. Those cars have been fairly successful, but they are nowhere near as pretty as the GT.

It has port and direct injection, like some of the newer Toyota engines--but I think this is the first time Ford has done it.

And this is probably my favorite view. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/12/bada2b2985da19677895b5dbef9fc44a.jpg

Josh (PA)
01-12-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm impressed with everything except the interior. It is a surprisingly cool car. I never liked the '04 one, I thought the styling was too derivative of the original, but this one is pretty awesome. Good job Ford.

lupinsea
01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Goodness but I like that car a lot.

Very well done, Ford.

It'll be interesting to see how the power train turns out.

One Thing I was surprised to see is how the door opens and takes the door sill with it. It should make it slightly easier for getting in and out if you don't have to scoot over a wiiiiiiide door sill.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8bMPz9KdBcM18bkK9Du2m9cupMY=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2927546/ford-naias-2-134-1020.0.jpg

clyde
01-13-2015, 04:46 PM
pls check your pulse thx.

The car sounds very cool. I wouldn't call it ugly, but the looks leave me pretty, um, unaffected. Based solely on looks, this doesn't even approach the F Type is visceral lust generation. There's no sex in this car's design. Just masturbation.

lemming
01-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Very well done, Ford.

One Thing I was surprised to see is how the door opens and takes the door sill with it. It should make it slightly easier for getting in and out if you don't have to scoot over a wiiiiiiide door sill.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8bMPz9KdBcM18bkK9Du2m9cupMY=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2927546/ford-naias-2-134-1020.0.jpg

unless the doors are carbon fibre, looks like a lot of failed door motors, to me.

and out of alignment issues.

Theo
01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
The car sounds very cool. I wouldn't call it ugly, but the looks leave me pretty, um, unaffected. Based solely on looks, this doesn't even approach the F Type is visceral lust generation. There's no sex in this car's design. Just masturbation.

Agreed

JST
01-13-2015, 05:27 PM
You guys are both insane. I actually and literally gasped when I saw the GT. It's amazing.

The F type is ok, but looks like an econobox compared to the GT.

Doors are assuredly CF. The similar doors on the i8 are crazy light and stiff. They feel odd, actually; I don't have a good analogy.

clyde
01-13-2015, 05:33 PM
You guys are both insane. I actually and literally gasped when I saw the GT. It's amazing.

The F type is ok, but looks like an econobox compared to the GT.

Doors are assuredly CF. The similar doors on the i8 are crazy light and stiff. They feel odd, actually; I don't have a good analogy.

No. The Armada was amazing. My then 6yo daughter told me so herself.

This new GT is just...(pardon me while I yawn)...I'm sorry. What were we talking about?

Theo
01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
But then again I'll just take a V8 6-spd R8 and call it a day.

TD
01-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Very well done, Ford.

Look closer and see how much door sill is still there. At least 6".

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-fYRVsu1jCeYkSmm29SIb3jIEmQ=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2927542/ford-naias-2-130-1020.0.jpg

bren
01-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Yeah there's still a lot of sill there. And no way those does are electronic. They only need to sell 300 for homologation, guaranteed they don't really expect any of those to see actual street use.

Like I said earlier... whoopee another super car, only without any cool supercar tech.

kognito
01-13-2015, 07:57 PM
the 2006 GT's were MSRP between 150-165K

What do they fetch today???

Seems a no-brainer to buy any new GT, (no matter what engine/transmission it comes with) drive it only as much as necessary, and sell it for a nice profit in 10 years

clyde
01-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Like I said earlier... whoopee another super car, only without any cool supercar tech.

Or supercar looks. :eeps:

JST
01-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Clyde, now you are just trolling.

clyde
01-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Clyde, now you are just trolling.

Do you blame me?

JST
01-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Do you blame me?

You can't blame the scorpion for being a scorpion.

Seriously, though, the GT is a slashed and angled dart of supercarism. It's impossibly low, incredibly long, and crazy wide--and even if it's none of those things, it looks like all of them.

It has flying buttresses that make Ferrari's look tame. Its midsection looks like a Lancia Stratos hooked to solid rocket boosters. Its front end is probably the most conservative element, but here too the designers did well, because it actually manages to evoke the Mk III without looking like it was made from the same mold.

In back, its got big tailpipes that blow fire on overrun and apparently waste gate exits in the center of the tail lights.

It is fucking hot. I'm being serious when I say that if this doesn't look like a supercar, I have no idea what does.

clyde
01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
You can't blame the scorpion for being a scorpion.

Seriously, though, the GT is a slashed and angled dart of supercarism. It's impossibly low, incredibly long, and crazy wide--and even if it's none of those things, it looks like all of them.

It has flying buttresses that make Ferrari's look tame. Its midsection looks like a Lancia Stratos hooked to solid rocket boosters. Its front end is probably the most conservative element, but here too the designers did well, because it actually manages to evoke the Mk III without looking like it was made from the same mold.

In back, its got big tailpipes that blow fire on overrun and apparently waste gate exits in the center of the tail lights.

It is fucking hot. I'm being serious when I say that if this doesn't look like a supercar, I have no idea what does.

I think I saw what you just described at an earlier NAIAS I attended...

http://evergreenterrace.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Thehomer.gif

equ
01-13-2015, 11:22 PM
the 2006 GT's were MSRP between 150-165K

What do they fetch today???

Seems a no-brainer to buy any new GT, (no matter what engine/transmission it comes with) drive it only as much as necessary, and sell it for a nice profit in 10 years

05-06 GT's fetch $300k in bubble car condition, easily mid-200's in decent collector condition (per Hagerty). Most of the price rise over msrp happened in the last two years.

At this point, I'd like to thank the Federal Reserve for printing money like toilet paper and causing 100% inflation over two to three years in things like houses and vintage cars, none of which enter the consumer price index.

Kog: I'm not sure it's such a no-brainer. Maybe. Yes, the last GT doubled in the last ten years. But old ferraris and carrera RS's went six-fold. A carrera RS sells for about $1M. If that's not a bubble, I don't what is, but then again I'm a perma-bear.

John V
01-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Yeah, I'm with you on this. In no world other than Clyde's is this not a supercar.

But you can't blame him for still popping wood about getting to drive one of the now bland and obsolete mid-2000's GTs. They're still badass cars, even if they have a truck engine and look like they were styled entirely by a high schooler with an iMac. :eeps:

lemming
01-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah, They're still badass cars, even if they have a truck engine and look like they were styled entirely by a high schooler with an iMac. :eeps:

never heard it put quite like that, but now i'm going to laugh every time i see one. there is something cartoonish about the mid 2000s GTs, true.

clyde
01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I'm with you on this. In no world other than Clyde's is this not a supercar.

I didn't say it's not a supercar. In fact, I don't think I'm down on the car as much as bren, because I'm not down on it at all. I just don't think it's attractive. Don't think it's ugly, either. Its appearance doesn't make any kind of impact on me. Like I'd buy an F-Type because of its looks regardless of tech, numbers, performance and feel, the GT would have to have the tech, numbers, performance and feel to get me to buy it because its looks don't move the needle in either direction.

bren
01-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't say I'm down on it, so much as I agree that it needs to offer more.

If I had >$200k I'm looking at a Mclaren or Ferrari, not a Ford. Of course, as JST said earlier...if you have that kind of money to spend on a car you'd probably just buy all three.

dan
01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
I just don't think it's attractive. Don't think it's ugly, either. Its appearance doesn't make any kind of impact on me.

in other words,

meh

clyde
01-14-2015, 02:26 PM
in other words,

In the words of the owner of the Ford GT I drove and wrote about a few years ago (which he still has):

[I]t looks like every other supercar including koenigsegg. Me no like.

JST
01-14-2015, 03:57 PM
In the words of the owner of the Ford GT I drove and wrote about a few years ago (which he still has):

So, even he thinks it looks like a supercar?

bren
01-14-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm assuming you've read the TTAC piece?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/01/ur-turn-haters-guide-ford-gt/

JST
01-14-2015, 04:39 PM

"The GT sucks because it is a racecar."

OK.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

clyde
01-14-2015, 04:53 PM
So, even he thinks it looks like a supercar?

Define supercar looks, please?

JST
01-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Define supercar looks, please?

Ask Potter Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it)

JST
01-14-2015, 05:01 PM

Also, this is a pretty big assumption that's based on absolutely nothing, as far as I can tell:

Since this super car is non-GPDS (or doesn’t show evidence of this) and didn’t follow the internal avenues that Ford products normally follow (including the 2005-era GT), all the above has not and will not occur for this program.

clyde
01-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Ask Potter Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it)

:D

Definitely my fault for trolling a little too broadly. A car can certainly meet objective super car looks criteria like being "a slashed and angled dart," "impossibly low, incredibly long, and crazy wide," have "flying buttresses," look like its midsection is "hooked to solid rocket boosters," evoke previous supercars, and have "big tailpipes that blow fire," yet still fail to meet any subjective goal of inspiring emotion other than "wut?" One need look no further than the new GT for evidence.

bren
01-14-2015, 06:04 PM
"The GT sucks because it is a racecar."

I think the criticism is that ford is parading it around like it's a hot new production car when reasonable assumption is that it is indeed just a thinly disguised race car with all of the huge potential failure that comes with such. It sounds like they might as well put a multimatic badge on it instead.

I'm still skeptical that someone will actually be able to take their $300k to the local Ford dealer and drive one of these home.

Aside from all that though... hell yeah it's cool that Ford is "theoretically" selling this as anything other than a body in white customer racer.

John V
01-14-2015, 06:27 PM

He's just jellos. :dunno:

JST
01-14-2015, 07:10 PM
I think the criticism is that ford is parading it around like it's a hot new production car when reasonable assumption is that it is indeed just a thinly disguised race car with all of the huge potential failure that comes with such. It sounds like they might as well put a multimatic badge on it instead.

I'm still skeptical that someone will actually be able to take their $300k to the local Ford dealer and drive one of these home.

Aside from all that though... hell yeah it's cool that Ford is "theoretically" selling this as anything other than a body in white customer racer.

And I am skeptical that a company like Ford would sell a car that doesn't meet the various procedures that the company has set for selling cars. The article is based on breathless speculation--while it contains some interesting detail about the company's design processes, there is no reason to think that the car won't go through all of the various hoops that Ford puts in place to vet its production cars.

When the car does roll into dealerships (subject to a 4000 percent markup or whatever), my guess is that it will have the same warranty as any other production Ford car, and that it will have cleared all the traps necessary to make production. It's *possible* that it will be built wholly by an outside contractor, but I doubt it.

bren
01-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Re: warranty...well it does have a truck engine after all. :p

bren
01-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Anybody watch s22:e1 of Top Gear? Clarkson is definitely not on the list for this one. :lol:

Jeff_DML
01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Anybody watch s22:e1 of Top Gear? Clarkson is definitely not on the list for this one. :lol:

no, i have been trying to find out a way to watch it:eeps: