PDA

View Full Version : I think I now know why Audis and VWs are so damned heavy.

John V
06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I got all the parts to do a timing belt job on the Jetta... including replacing the water pump, tensioners, pulleys, and everything else "while I'm in there."

The water pump must weigh 15lbs and it's all metal! On a BMW, the water pump is light, with a composite impeller, and only weighs a couple pounds. The timing belt tensioner is a humongous piece of cast aluminum, again, super heavy.

They're making extensive use of lightweight materials on these cars - maybe too extensive. :lol:

Jason C
06-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Gotta make those parts last forever, you know.

(Meanwhile the window regulators or some other electronic bullshit is being replaced at the stealer, AGAIN)

equ
06-04-2007, 07:52 AM
The rollup luggage cover on the avant must be like 20lbs. Almost threw out my back trying to fold the seats... Centuries from now, when they dig into to our civilization artifacts, they'll be finding vag parts, timing bits and what not.

FC
06-04-2007, 07:56 AM
The timing belt tensioner is a humongous piece of cast aluminum, again, super heavy.

I'm about to send one of my designs out for prototype. It's an aluminum casting weighing 67Kg (or for the metric challenged, ~150lbs).:eeps:

clyde
06-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm about to send one of my designs out for prototype. It's an aluminum casting weighing 67Kg (or for the metric challenged, ~150lbs).:eeps:
bigger or smaller than a breadbox?

FC
06-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Bigger.

Plaz
06-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Centuries from now, when they dig into to our civilization artifacts, they'll be finding vag parts

:eeps:

JST
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Bigger.

Hey, why don't you fab yourself your own stroller?

FC
06-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey, why don't you fab yourself your own stroller?

I'd love to. It would just cost me $10,000 worth of prototypes. :lol:

But hey, everyone seems to be offering a new stroller, so we could start a 'Mudgeon company and just start designing and selling stuff. Strollers, better cup holders, assault rifles, etc.:D

Nick M3
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd love to. It would just cost my $10,000 worth of prototypes. :lol:

But hey, everyone seems to be offering a new stroller, so could start a 'Mudgeon company and just start designing and selling stuff. Strollers, better cup holders, assault rifles, etc.:D
I think that you could find a good market for stroller mounted assault rifles on roadfly and bimmerfest. ;)

FC
06-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I think that you could find a good market for stroller mounted assault rifles on roadfly and bimmerfest. ;)

True. You never know when you'll run into a "Mogadishu-in-Black Hawk Down"-type mob when you're strolling with your baby.:D